Please Do Not be like this Guy

sqwakvfr

25 minutes ago, Lacessit said:
39 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Tipping is not mandatory in the US, either, but a small appreciation is expected and usually given here.

Have you been in the USA? Most service establishments pay minimum wage or less. Tipping 10 -20% is expected practice. It's a significant part of income. Even hotel room cleaners expect something.

True, it's not mandatory. But as a waiter there once said to me, if you don't leave a tip, don't come back. Because it's very likely if they remember, nasty things will happen.

Yes, I have been to the US. 

"True, it's not mandatory".

Thanks for confirming that tipping is not mandatory in the US which is all I commented on in that context.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Topic - don’t be like this guy...

Op doesn’t like the way another person left a torn note as a tip because he is a regular and feels he has earned the right to pass judgement on not only the amount but how pristine the note or coins are !!! - Quite amusing !!! 

Are we really that judgemental of how perfect stranger are acting such that we fault the most innocuous and minor of actions. Its not as if this guy who left the tip got up and started swearing at the staff. He left a tip !!! Note was torn, big deal. 

As far as tipping itself - this topic has surely been done to death by now... 

(first 3 hits).

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1054054-what-is-the-general-rule-for-tipping/

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1004907-tipping-for-a-soapy/

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/184893-demand-a-tip/page/4/

So this is just the tip of the iceberg?

• Haha 1

It costs nothing to be nice. Maybe that's all the $$$ he had on him?

I tip if I get good service. 

Places I go to a lot, I make sure I look after them as they then look after me.

A restaurant I go into at least half a dozen times a month, occasionally I go in the back and give the two cooks 100 each... get bigger portions now ???? 

RAZZ

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ballpoint said:
17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Topic - don’t be like this guy...

Op doesn’t like the way another person left a torn note as a tip because he is a regular and feels he has earned the right to pass judgement on not only the amount but how pristine the note or coins are !!! - Quite amusing !!! 

Are we really that judgemental of how perfect stranger are acting such that we fault the most innocuous and minor of actions. Its not as if this guy who left the tip got up and started swearing at the staff. He left a tip !!! Note was torn, big deal. 

As far as tipping itself - this topic has surely been done to death by now... 

(first 3 hits).

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1054054-what-is-the-general-rule-for-tipping/

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1004907-tipping-for-a-soapy/

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/184893-demand-a-tip/page/4/

Expand  

So this is just the tip of the iceberg?

I think its the tipping point..... ????

• Like 1

I was friendly with a waiter in a restaurant that I frequented in Jomtien. He explained to me that if I put the tip in the folder thing that they bring the bill in that it was divided between all the staff. If I handed it to him he could keep it all. Usually passed it to him under the table

Edited by Emeraldisle
Left out "in a restaurant"
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, I have been to the US. 

"True, it's not mandatory".

Thanks for confirming that tipping is not mandatory in the US which is all I commented on in that context.

Not mandatory, but you may get a bullet in the back of the head on the way out if you don't.

27 minutes ago, Emeraldisle said:

I was friendly with a waiter in a restaurant that I frequented in Jomtien. He explained to me that if I put the tip in the folder thing that they bring the bill in that it was divided between all the staff. If I handed it to him he could keep it all. Usually passed it to him under the table

I was friendly with a waitress in a restaurant who explained that if I put the tip in the folder it would be shared by the staff including the cooks who cooked the meal.

• Like 1

Would be hard to do do in Australia no paper notes in circulation anymore since 1982 

Australia's currency is one of the most advanced in the world. ... Australian dollar notes are made of a polymer, which has a waxy feel, while the banknotes of the U.S. and several other countries are made of cotton fiber paper. Polymer banknotes tend to last two to three times longer than paper notes.

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

How about you and the rest of ‘your’ kind when you go to places like Japan?

Here, the guy left a 20 baht tip. It's unfortunate the not was torn. Maybe thats all he had left. Is that a really big issue? or should he have paid with a torn note and left a pristine note as a tip?

It clearly is an issue for the Op who’s embellished a rather pathetic story. Do you think the workers would prefer not to have a tip if a note is torn?

The reactions of some people.... ’should have remained home with the rest of your kind’ are hilarious.... 

Exactly

It should still be legal tender, but they would have given it back to him if he had tried to use it to pay the bill. I have experienced this.

In my country, it is legal tender. In Thailand, they don't accept it. Should he accepted the loss?

Their country, their rules. Up to them. The locals don't tip anyway, why should you?

And yes, the OP embellished a pathetic story; well said!

9 hours ago, Emeraldisle said:

Be careful when passing anything under the table to a waiter...especially in Jomtien ????

Maybe he had experienced poor service and was actually intending the "tip" to be a metaphorical middle finger?

I mean it's pretty strange behaviour otherwise to go up to somebody and point out the fact that you're leaving a tip.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

It costs nothing to be nice. Maybe that's all the $$$ he had on him?

I tip if I get good service. 

Places I go to a lot, I make sure I look after them as they then look after me.

A restaurant I go into at least half a dozen times a month, occasionally I go in the back and give the two cooks 100 each... get bigger portions now ???? 

RAZZ

Hey Razz, might want to be careful with the bigger portions! ????????

840A5606-EBAE-4DE8-96F5-BA73D3A07106.jpeg

• Haha 2

That's it?  Classless, sure but I agree with a previous poster. I get far more PO'd with these maskless falang walking about. It's like; Look at me I am a bloody poster child for Minister Anutin. 

BTW ... Gekko, Bella Goose or Butter is Better. What restaurant are we talking about?

17 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

My wife leaves the tips - usually all the unwanted change in her purse

Yes. In my experience (ymmv), Thais normally do not tip. Unwanted change is what you give beggars on the street. I don't think I've ever left a tip, even when I was living in Bangkok. The restaurant he refers to must get lots of farangs if the girl expected a tip. And what's wrong with a ฿20 note torn in two? Stick the pieces together with scotch tape and it spends, or take it to the bank and they'll give you a new one. I agree there's something wrong with the guy he describes. First of all leaving a tip, and then the malicious tearing of the baht note, not knowing how things work in Thailand. So much undirected anger. By the way, you can do the same thing with damaged currency in any civilized country, even America.

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Have you been in the USA? Most service establishments pay minimum wage or less. Tipping 10 -20% is expected practice. It's a significant part of income. Even hotel room cleaners expect something.

True, it's not mandatory. But as a waiter there once said to me, if you don't leave a tip, don't come back. Because it's very likely if they remember, nasty things will happen.

We aren't in America.

And if a waiters boss doesn't pay them enough, they should work elsewhere.

Can't believe people expect customers to make up for unscrupulous employers.

And in Thailand almost all serving staff are on minimum wage.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

That's pretty shameful behavior but eventually "what goes around, comes around"  He'll get his just rewards for being such a loser.

What was shameful about leaving a 20b tip........... should he have left more ?