Please Do Not be like this Guy

sqwakvfr

23 hours ago, WineOh said:

so by your rationale, with the lack of tourism in Thailand for nigh on two years - the goodwill of the locals should be reset?

Can I expect great service everywhere I go now?

Even in Samui and Phuket?

My rational is western , so it doesn't apply in LOS.

Time will tell, but don't hold your breath.

This is proving to be a pretty bizarre and silly thread.  I guess it just goes to show how bored and stir-crazy everybody has become during the heightened effects of the pandemic.

For a thread like this to reach five pages, it's obvious that no one has anything more productive to do with their time than chatter on mindlessly about some guy who left a ripped-in-half 20 baht note as a tip.

I think the poster's point was simply that we should all be particularly generous in leaving tips during this pandemic.  I agree.   Here in Thailand, tips are not even so much about how much you leave; it's simply a sign of respect and appreciation, but being extra generous at this time is just a nice thing to do since they really need the money!

Also, defacing currency with a picture of the king on it is a blatant insult to many Thai people (not just to the waitress), and just another example of some ignorant Fanags who show disrespect for local customs and thus give all foreigners a bad reputation.

Beyond that, everything else being said is just plain silly.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

For a thread like this to reach five pages, it's obvious that no one has anything more productive to do with their time than chatter on mindlessly about some guy who left a ripped-in-half 20 baht note as a tip.

More to do with world news vanishing. Many of us spent most of our time on that.

Unless one actually lives in LOS there isn't much left to occupy us, IMO.

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

More to do with world news vanishing. Many of us spent most of our time on that.

Unless one actually lives in LOS there isn't much left to occupy us, IMO.

Yeah, I sure agree with that!  There's actually a lot of important current events happening in the world, but you can't turn on a news channel and actually get the basic, unvarnished news anymore!

Instead,  all you hear are a bunch of self-important talking head commentators (not journalists) telling us all what we should believe (according to their viewpoint), instead of just delivering the news without bias. 

Gone are the days of true journalism.   Genuine journalists of the past like Walter Cronkite would be turning over in their graves at the present state of the "Fourth Estate" ????

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2021 at 2:29 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Tipping is not mandatory in the US, either, but a small appreciation is expected and usually given here.

Maybe you haven't been to the States in a few decades but in some establishments a 8-15% 'gratuity' is included in the bill. Not everywhere mind you and often it depends on the size of the party. (not physical size as the tip alone would them bankrupt many Americans ????). I suppose one could protest it but nobody ever does; waiters are paid pretty poorly. 

Please be not like extratip quakfv.krs

some of the visitors always like to show they are better persons. Show of big generousity in the limits of 20. or maybe 50 today ;-)  That buys allowance to judge some unknown person as inferior (watch out for disgusting! they spoil our pink ideal world image.)

Good customer service rare in Thailand? Must be kind of personal experience, is it?

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

This is proving to be a pretty bizarre and silly thread.  I guess it just goes to show how bored and stir-crazy everybody has become during the heightened effects of the pandemic.

This thread may go down in ThaiVisa infamy, much like the GOM thread !!!!.... 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/191178-the-grumpiest-ex-pat-in-bangkok/

19 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I think the poster's point was simply that we should all be particularly generous in leaving tips during this pandemic. 

My income certainly has not risen so why should I give even more of it away ?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Also, defacing currency with a picture of the king on it is a blatant insult to many Thai people (not just to the waitress), and just another example of some ignorant Fanags who show disrespect for local customs and thus give all foreigners a bad reputation.

How do you know the foreigner tore the note in  half ?

• Like 1

OP, you could have written… some random bloke. 

But adding OLD to your rant sounds like you're having a bit of a pop at the elderly? People-watching can be fun, but your gripe is a tad micro-critical, don't you think?

It's up to folks how they tip—if at all—and how much.

I don't follow tipping rules and tend to over-tip low-income earners. Sometimes more than they charge for a service of thing.

Expats have accused me in the past of making other farangs look bad. I have no idea what that means. After all, we're not an interbred race. Heck, the Brits have more in common with Indians and Pakistanis than they do French, if you know what I mean. 

But umm… keep up the excellent work, and make sure to update us on future annoyances ;)

Stubby

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2021 at 2:43 PM, Lacessit said:

True, it's not mandatory. But as a waiter there once said to me, if you don't leave a tip, don't come back. Because it's very likely if they remember, nasty things will happen.

And NEVER send something back to be cooked more..

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 1:21 PM, up-country_sinclair said:

Inexcusably poor behavior.

That said, it's quite an aggressive act, and it would be interesting to know his side of the story.

He doesn’t have a side of the story...don’t leave a tip or talk to the manager but leaving a torn up bill is just an aggressive stunt!

im betting he gets pleasure out of numerous and similar acts all day long

people like that come to what they think is an inferior country an act like fools and feel good about it....how sad for them.

The waitress is over it but he’ll carry it forever

• Like 1

In Thailand tipping can lose face.

It can be construed as 'your making so little, or are needy, so I'm leaving a bit extra for you'.

It can be taken the wrong way. That's why I simply don"t tip. They can raise prices and it's ok with me.

It's out of control in the USA these days. Tip jars everywhere.  Minimum tip at a bar now is $1 per beer poured. If you leave loose change (as I have done with 75 cents/3 quarters/ about 20 baht for a beer) it's real taboo.

Got the change thrown back at me one time when I risked leaving less then a dollar when I was buzzed). It needs to be a solid paper note, no change.

At a restaurant people get out their calculators to determine exactly 20%. It's an issue at the end of every meal.

I have no problems not tipping in Thailand and just keep it that way so it does not become like the USA.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1