creating an offline wallet for your cryptos

watgate

I understand that once you purchase cryptos on an exchange it is best to put them in an offline wallet so as to be safe from any potential hackers. Can someone guide me as to how to create a paper wallet and what steps are needed to safely store your crypto offline in your paper wallet. I am an obvious novice when it comes to  this. Thanks for any info.

most cryptocurrencies have a "private key" of the address, which looks like a string of letters and numbers, with length usually less then 100 symbols; something like "5Kxg62skHMn1BB3dVWq4YcF8B4uUqfoY5utv3oo4azWPy0fpogdVq"

if you have received coins to the different addresses then you will need to export the private key of each separate address.

some wallets have a "recovery seed" of all addresses combined, which looks like a dozen of words that are intended to be easily remembered, something like "charge cook oval horse noble clap exotic scrap noble solution wheel zone".

first determine how to export private keys or export the recovery seed from your particular wallet program, and then print these keys/seeds on an A4 sheet (repeating multiple times is recommended, to store in different geographic locations for safety).

then you could laminate the A4 sheet (or "laminate" it with a clean duct tape), separate and store in safe location outside your house.

also note that storing seeds or keys "as is" is not very secure as whoever finds them could understand what these symbols are and could steal your coins by importing these keys/seeds to their wallets.

I recommend encrypting the keys/seeds with PGP and printing PGP text instead of plain keys/seeds. But then again - you will need to print a backup of PGP private key and store it in the different geographic location for safety.

Edited by fdsa
  • Haha 1

Couple of Interesting snippets from Wikipedia.

If the private key is lost, the bitcoin network will not recognize any other evidence of ownership; the coins are then unusable, and effectively lost. For example, in 2013 one user claimed to have lost 7,500 bitcoins, worth $7.5 million at the time, when he accidentally discarded a hard drive containing his private key.  About 20% of all bitcoins are believed to be lost -they would have had a market value of about $20 billion at July 2018 prices.

If the private key is revealed to a third party, e.g. through a data breach, the third party can use it to steal any associated bitcoins. As of December 2017, around 980,000 bitcoins have been stolen from cryptocurrency exchanges.

Edited by Exploring Thailand

If your using Binance or another Very big exchange,  I would just keep the coins there unless you have extremely big money involved. The big exchanges mostly have insurance so there is nothing to worry about and you can usually earn interest on the coins you keep there. I know many will disagree.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Here's a shortcut for those who aren't tech adept.   Any smartphone (buy one just to use as a wallet, it can be the cheaper end Samsung's or iPhone's; don't install any apps other than the wallet itself) that you don't use for anything else, especially no email or messenger apps.   Install an Electrum wallet from the device's App Store/Google Play store for Bitcoin.   Coinomi app/wallet for just about any other coin (including Bitcoin).    Don't use the phone for anything else.   Don't use a SIM card with it.   Only connect via Wifi in your home (and even better with a VPN).   It's an offline wallet the whole time you aren't connected to the net.   Only connect to the net when you want to check your wallet contents/balance.   You don't even need to turn it on to send yourself funds.    You basically have a device that you might turn on for 5 minutes a year.   Safe as houses.

But, yes, also store your keys/passwords (and not in the same place) on paper somewhere and keep that secure as well.   That's a backup for you losing the device (funds not lost as long as you have your keys written down... but have the keyword sequence not in its entirety in multiple places as a backup for someone discovering where you write your keys).  

Save yourself the hassle and buy a decent hardware wallet. Ledger for example. Hardware wallets provide a much better UX than paper wallets do. And if you're only doing small-ish amounts, using MetaMask will do just fine as well.

I guess this is old news but Ledger were hacked. Later one million emails addresses and 250000 physical addresses were dumped onto a hacking site. Since then there are lots of phishing scams circulating along the lines of "You will know that our database was hacked, please go to this site to change your 24 words...". I guess in the worst case scenario, it would also let burglars know which houses to target.

6 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

I guess this is old news but Ledger were hacked. Later one million emails addresses and 250000 physical addresses were dumped onto a hacking site. Since then there are lots of phishing scams circulating along the lines of "You will know that our database was hacked, please go to this site to change your 24 words...". I guess in the worst case scenario, it would also let burglars know which houses to target.

Yeah, that was embarrassing for them.  But should be clarified that their customer database was hacked, not the Ledger wallet tech itself.  To each his/her own, but I would trust a device (phone, tablet or computer) that I have personally formatted to be 'virgin' over something that I order from Amazon to store my crypto.     

7 minutes ago, Heng said:

Yeah, that was embarrassing for them.  But should be clarified that their customer database was hacked, not the Ledger wallet tech itself.  To each his/her own, but I would trust a device (phone, tablet or computer) that I have personally formatted to be 'virgin' over something that I order from Amazon to store my crypto.     

Yeah, I'm sure the Ledger team is completely separate from the e-commerce team. If I were holding significant amounts of crypto, I'd consider one, but I'd buy it directly from them, not from a third-party (despite the leak).

I've spent a couple of days reading up on all-things crypto and have come across some incredible scams and blunders. I'm sure they're all well-known to the old-hands. 

Forgets password to unlock $210 million crypto.

Youtuber loses $2million to hackers during livestream.

• Like 1

I've been using a Trezor for a couple of years. While not perfect, it does the job. I certainly wouldn't want to leave the bulk of my holdings in an exchange. Just those that I'm trading with actively stay in exchange wallets.

• Like 2

Strongly recommend a Ledger (Hardware Wallet).  Ideally buy direct from the manufacturer, but given that we are in TH, SIAMBC is a reputable re-seller.   https://siambc.com/product-category/ledger/

Nano S - for THB 2,390 (if you are just looking at 2-3 apps concurrently...). More than that and you'll be installing/uninstalling constantly.

Nano X - for THB 5,990 (lot more space and apps concurrently, eg. BTC, ETH, Stellar, Ripple, ADA and so on).  Both of them work in the same way.

Groov.store is another one (better pricing on the X).

Hardware wallets are the Gold standard - if you dont want to spend any money, you can download a reputable wallet - eg. Green for Bitcoin. 

Hardware or Software Wallet, the key will be securing and storing the 24 word seed that you are randomly assigned.  No photos / no cloud storage etc... just paper / pencil, preferably in 2 separate locations.  Ideally a metal plate backup (fire resistant) will also be a good idea.  Ideally, you should also do a full wipe/restore before you transfer meaningful amounts. 

Youtube has a lot of explainer videos - Crypto-guide is a good channel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EMzkGSsR5A

Good luck.

• Like 2

If BTC, use the BitAddress tool. 

Disconnect your computer or laptop from the internet (go offline), then open https://www.bitaddress.org  in offline mode.

Randomly move your mouse as instructed. A bitcoin address with a private key will be generated. After creation, if you click on "paper wallet" you will see your new offline wallet with address and private key. 

Alternatively, I recommend using a Trezor (I use the Model T version) or a BitBox02 from Shift Switzerland https://shiftcrypto.ch/

And be extra cautious when responding to private messages as a result of this post. Scammers pretending to be crypto experts will message you privately to offer "help". This is especially the case when you mention that you're an "obvious novice". Be careful.

Edited by mvdf
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mvdf said:

And be extra cautious when responding to private messages as a result of this post. Scammers pretending to be crypto experts will message you privately to offer "help". This is especially the case when you mention that you're an "obvious novice". Be careful.

this.

do not trust personal messages, if someone is willing to help they will write an advice in public forum where everyone could see and review that post.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2021 at 8:33 AM, Dazinoz said:

Have been told by a "crypto expert" more caution is required with the X because of its Bluetooth capabilities. I personally use the S.

Fully agree - I would turn off the bluetooth feature totally .... and just stick to connecting it like a Nano S.  Only reason to get an X is space....and that too probably for someone needing to access their coins often enough.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...