Are mosquitoes worse in Koh Samui or Phuket?

KevinLed

Can't speak for Phuket, but the mossies here in Samui are mainly the ones that transmit dengue and Chikungunya. I know  as I have had both.  Malaria isn't a problem here on the island.

These are the large Aedes Egyptii or Tiger mosquitos and are usually on the hunt at dawn and dusk.

Wosre in the wet season  and after rain, but March is normally hot and dry so should be OK.  Normal precautions should prevent too much hassle. A lot of the  bigger hotels usually have a  spray day once a week where they fumigate the gardens to keeps mossie numbers  low.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Forgetting all of the stupid answers to your sensible question.... in March, Samui is in it's dry season whereas Phuket is in it's rainy season, so Samui would better for you. 

In every 7/11 and local store you can buy good and cheap mosquito repellent, so you should be fine.

On 4/27/2021 at 4:30 PM, KevinLed said:

We plan to travel to Thailand at the first part of March 2022.  My wife does not do well with mosquitoes.  Is there more of a mosquito problem on one island VS the other?

There a difference from the Andaman-side to the Gulf-side due to eastern- and western monsoons.

March is (normally) a dry month on Samui, and if you stay by the beach – which most folks do on Samui – there are few, or hardly any, mosquitoes. 

I live by the beach on Samui since 2005, and mosquitoes are never a problem in the dry season, and using a repellent and long arm blouses in evenings, if there should be any flying beasts, often is enough to solve the problem. Staying more inland, it might be worse.

On 4/27/2021 at 4:31 PM, phetphet said:

Can't speak for Phuket, but the mossies here in Samui are mainly the ones that transmit dengue and Chikungunya. I know  as I have had both.  Malaria isn't a problem here on the island.

These are the large Aedes Egyptii or Tiger mosquitos and are usually on the hunt at dawn and dusk.

Wosre in the wet season  and after rain, but March is normally hot and dry so should be OK.  Normal precautions should prevent too much hassle. A lot of the  bigger hotels usually have a  spray day once a week where they fumigate the gardens to keeps mossie numbers  low.

Is the government still lying about the numbers of Dengue infections? or do they have more important things to lie about these day?

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Tidybeard said:

Forgetting all of the stupid answers to your sensible question.... in March, Samui is in it's dry season whereas Phuket is in it's rainy season, so Samui would better for you. 

In every 7/11 and local store you can buy good and cheap mosquito repellent, so you should be fine.

Maybe forget some of the non-stupid answers too ????

Obviously the poster has never lived in Phuket. Rainy season there usually begins around June.

Phuket's Climate & Seasons - Phuket.Net

Edited by LosLobo