Koh Chang to remain open to tourists but strict screening measures now in place

webfact

KC.jpg

File photo

Koh Chang is set to remain open to tourists, despite a rise in COVID-19 cases on the island.

On Monday, local health officials were set to announce that Koh Chang would be shut to non-residents for 14 days.

However, on Tuesday it was confirmed that the island would remain but strict screening measures would be in place, particularly for people travelling from ‘red zone’ provinces.

Anyone travelling from a red zone province is now required to produce a COVID-19 test certificate which shows a negative result. This is required on arrival to Trat province and Koh Chang. 

Koh Chang hospital is currently unable to provide test certificates to tourists as the hospital only has capacity to carry out 50 tests per day and local residents are currently being given priority. 

As with many provinces in Thailand, mask wearing is mandatory in Trat province, including Koh Chang, when in any indoor or outdoor public space. Masks must also be worn when in a car containing two or more passengers.

Meanwhile, Thai language news site Banmuang reported that seven people on Koh Chang have tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 3 days. 

Koh Chang hospital currently has capacity for 15 COVID-19 patients and there are currently 8 patients being treated for the virus.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-28

8 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I was in Koh Chang in March and it was deathly quiet then. Must be worse now.

Allowing Songkran holidays to go ahead, was blindly ridiculous, allowing thousands to travel to Koh Chang. From reports I have heard one falang came to Koh Chang with  his LB. and went to several venues, mainly in Kia Bay starting the infections. note this is very reliable jungle drum news. I know it's hard for business's but now, more business's have had to close because of these latest infections. lock the island down NOW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Koh Chang hospital is currently unable to provide test certificates to tourists as the hospital only has capacity to carry out 50 tests per day and local residents are currently being given priority."

JUST my opinion, but this statement surely exposes the problem Thailand has in doing large amounts of testing on its population. Think there was only 18000 new PUI yesterday.

• Like 1

This has been my most enjoyable visit to KC yet. Only one other room is occupied at my resort and I think they may have checked out this morning, leaving the place to myself. I'm just laying around the pool, ready to go for a swim. 

IMG_20210501_122930.thumb.jpg.6e51e0581928a974c24cec9b29c2b08e.jpg

Anyone for a seafood pizza, some Mango, and a passion fruit mojito? 

IMG_20210427_163347.thumb.jpg.e7444bf8106fbcc9531cf1ea2ccf86a5.jpg

41 minutes ago, camble said:

This has been my most enjoyable visit to KC yet. Only one other room is occupied at my resort and I think they may have checked out this morning, leaving the place to myself. I'm just laying around the pool, ready to go for a swim. 

IMG_20210501_122930.thumb.jpg.6e51e0581928a974c24cec9b29c2b08e.jpg

Anyone for a seafood pizza, some Mango, and a passion fruit mojito? 

IMG_20210427_163347.thumb.jpg.e7444bf8106fbcc9531cf1ea2ccf86a5.jpg

Very unusual - actually, unheard of -  for a hotel to keep its food preparation staff for 2 guests.

4 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Very unusual - actually, unheard of -  for a hotel to keep its food preparation staff for 2 guests.

They would have saved money if they locked the island down. Usually a lot of Thai families come on the weekend but it isn't happening today.