Covid 19 disinfection now suspends all international postal shipments for one week

Xonax

I just went to the post office today, in order to return an item ordered from Aliexpress, as the item was not as described by the seller.  They would not even accept the package.  I urgently need to provide the tracking number for Aliexpress, or I will face to loose my money, for not returning the item within the given time frame.  Why is something like this not imformed to the public, so we don´t have to waste time to go to the post office?

Does anyone have an idea, how I at a reasonable price, can return a small package to China?

https://file.thailandpost.com/upload/content/Announcement_rev_6087c916e7b73.pdf?spm=a2g0s.imconversation.0.0.56e23e5fQ0idVE&file=Announcement_rev_6087c916e7b73.pdf

The closure/suspension  of the OE station shoukdnt stop PO accepting parcels, just a delay in processing them. I would ask if the PO can please accept the parcel and give you the number even though it may be held for a few days.

Go talk to them or try at another office, ask for "help" usually works wonders.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Brierley said:

The closure of the international sorting station at swampy was announced this morning, closed until 4 May because of a covid case.

My parcel from USPS has been handed over to Thai Post on 17 April and there hasn't been a single update since. So I think the processing has stopped far before this COVID case today.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Looking at the info on the link for Thai Post you could send it by courier post to China that I assume is where it is being sent.

Courier post by Thailand Post will cost 1,480 THB which is more than the value of the contents, so this is not an option.  I clearly asked for an idea to ship at a reasonable price. Kerry Express also do international shipments, but that will cost more than 900 THB, which is also more than the value of the contents.

The post offices in my area all have clear instructions from the top, that they are not allowed to accept any international shipments, as that would increase the risk  of disappearance (theft) of the package.

Edited by Xonax

Consider yourselves lucky that it's just a short closure.  Here in Laos, the international postal service was suspended last March!  It still hasn't been resumed yet, and is very unlikely to be resumed soon, thanks to virus spread from illegal crossings over the Mekong river from Thailand....

• Like 1

if quarantine for workers ends on 4th of may, that means they started to gradually shut down services from around 20th april. Probably started earlier, just after songkran, and they throw in additional few days for a holiday 1-4.05 for a good measure.

Disinfecting even large warehouse doesn't need 1 week, can be done in one day.

Something is amiss, in the statement says closed from 26.4, but the hand written date by the signature is 27.4, and published on 28.4.  

Truth is they have stopped working several days before those dates, parcels are stored at Laksi depo since 25.4 or even 24.4. Those, which are marked departed on 23.4 (and before) from BKK probably are probably still there.

The last year during the post office shutdown they were accepting letters for over a week, till 5th of april, before making a statement that they closed processing on 28.3. Probably that's also the case this time.

They have stopped accepting letters, because they have a week of backlog  

Edited by internationalism

On 4/28/2021 at 11:05 AM, tomazbodner said:

My parcel from USPS has been handed over to Thai Post on 17 April and there hasn't been a single update since. So I think the processing has stopped far before this COVID case today.

You won't get updates from USPS one the package has been turned over to an international carrier.

1 hour ago, USNret said:

You won't get updates from USPS one the package has been turned over to an international carrier.

It has been handed over to Thai Post... which doesn't even have the tracking number in their system ????

Thank you for that tip.

Last year I had letters that I could not send from my local PO as their computer showed that was the current situation, next day I went to Khon Kaen PO no problem.    Seems my local PO had not updated its files.
Post from UK has taken 6 weeks especially from my bank, that is because the mailing center is not in UK but in Switzerland.
May be worth you trying a different PO branch

I think you are writing about June, when international post office re-opened.

If you are writing about April last year, even if some post office branch accepted your letter, it was stacked in thailand till the beginning of June.

The last year they were planning to open in July, when they started to open borders, but instead used cargo services from June

On 4/28/2021 at 11:05 AM, tomazbodner said:

From the ThaiPost memo above:

"Consequently, delays are expected in the processing and delivery for both inbound and outbound of all international services."

Ditto for me...

I send frequent small, low value packages from the U.S. to BKK via airmail... I sent several around the beginning of last month, and making allowance for the Song Kran holidays, they should arrived no later than the last week of April.  Now it's early May and nothing.

The last package I received from the U.S. arrived here about April 18, and not a thing ever since, including two packages mailed April 6 and another mailed April 13 that are MIA. Normally, with very rare exception, they would normally arrive here in BKK no longer than two weeks from my U.S. mail dates.

Maybe ThaiPost didn't get the memo from the U.S. CDC and the WHO that the current thinking/belief is that international mail, because of the long time frames in transit, carries little to no risk of spreading CV....  unless you make a habit of licking or closely smelling the exteriors of your arriving packages.

Coronaviruses are thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets. Although the virus can survive for a short period on some surfaces, it is unlikely to be spread from domestic or international mail, products or packaging.Apr 2, 2021

Link

I wonder where they're keeping all the accumulated undelivered international package mail. Gotta be someplace BIG!  Maybe the inactive positions office at the RTP...  ????

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK