Phuket foreigners told to be COVID ‘socially responsible’ or face expulsion

webfact

Noticed whilst recently in Phuket. Unfortunately a high percentage of foreign "guests" are not wearing masks properly or are not wearing them at all. Some foreigners are very good with mask wearing. Many Thais are guilty too especially the ones wearing the mask on their chin. I was not happy when a young foreign couple got in the baht bus with my family neither wore masks and just shrugged when I pointed to the sign saying masks must be worn. We have to help reduce the Covid threat. It's not of our making but we have be compliant with the laws of the country. If we don't get this under control soon it will drag on for years with the amount of vaccines being purchased. I'm not supporting the inept government this is just common sense. 

• Like 2

On a world scale, Covid is on the increase, but sadly I've noticed on this and other web sites that foreigners in Thailand seem to have very cavalier attitudes towards Covid, ranging from ignoring mask wearing, not isolating to the fine lunatics of anti-vaxxers.

I would be very concerned about foreigners in Thailand and their "can't happen here" attitude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, smedly said:

pointing to foreigners again 

nothing to do with your gross mishandling and lack of testing 

Reading various reports the vast majority of detected spread in Phuket and around the country is by Thai people 

This finger pointing at foreigners one minute then your desperation to open Phuket up to foreign tourists - are you for flicking real

Idiots

Good idea...They can't kick Thais out...I see too many foreigners  flouting the rules..Their arrogance and entitlement is incredible...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, kwilco said:

On a world scale, Covid is on the increase, but sadly I've noticed on this and other web sites that foreigners in Thailand seem to have very cavalier attitudes towards Covid, ranging from ignoring mask wearing, not isolating to the fine lunatics of anti-vaxxers.

I would be very concerned about foreigners in Thailand and their "can't happen here" attitude.

It's very sad that this forum gives voice to the ignorance of anti mask,  anti vax, anti police, anti medical  authorities  here...dreadful.

7 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The meeting was for/with FOREIGN consuls and representatives on the island so of course the Thai officials would remind them to pass along the word to their nationals and other constituents. Did you happen to read that the THAI Prime Minister was fined for not wearing a mask in public? It has nothing to do with targeting any particular group of people...it's to get everyone on the same page. Even after over 20 years, I don't understand the reflexive defensiveness of so many T-V members. If you hate Thailand...leave!

Well  whooopee  do,  will they be deporting the PM then,  good  plan.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Leading the meeting, held at Phuket Provincial Hall, was Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew, joined by all three Phuket Vice Governors, Pichet Panapong, Piyapong Choowong and Vikrom Jakthee.

So they think they are immigration police, with the power to kick people out.  Only in Thailand could this be allowed. Don't you know who I am?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

It's very sad that this forum gives voice to the ignorance of anti mask,  anti vax, anti police, anti medical  authorities  here...dreadful.

if you can only see the world has if it would be black or white, pro or anti, yes or no, good or bad, then, you can also write a comment even if this kind of very limited ability show how stupid it can be. But, we can all be stupid in a sort of way (i include myself).

So your idea is to propagate the true ? Your true, of course.... and to censor the fake (what you decide it can be a fake, that is an evident statement) and deny any relative suggestions or any other level of mind thinking else than pro or anti something ?

I think we can laugh as long as no one as stupid as binary thinking can be get enough power to apply this kind of idiotic dictatorship.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thalueng said:

Gross mishandling? Not everything perfect, but the Thai government did a so much better job on this than the UK or Europe as a whole. It's idiots like you who need to be reminded that the rules apply to everyone, and that in this country it is an offence not to follow the Covid instructions from the government.

Of course the majority of detected cases are Thai, they are the majority, even in Phuket. And certainly, they are more willing to get tested than the foreigners. Foreigners know everything better and don't like to be told, and when I see someone walk around not wearing a mask it usually is a foreigner. Nothing to do with finger pointing.

It is times like this and posts like this I feel ashamed to be a foreigner in this wonderful country myself.

i agree, the rule is for everybody, not more for one than other (foreigner or not).

You also should agree about what can be the idea of diplomatic declaration can be to be qualified as "diplomat"... i think all the foreigners around the world who respect the law should be tired to be pointed because of abusive reduction it can be and miss-respect in both side (because that seems to have a strong line between these humans... isn't it ?). there is miss-respect by any (for any reason, sometimes just because of forget, sometimes because don't care) foreigner or local, but it is a minority. And it is like that all over the world.

I would rather spend a week in Phuket in a cheap hotel with freedom to go out, rather than a week locked up in a overpriced hotel room in Bangkok.

I still have not seen how this is going to work with Flights though, considering nearly all international flights go to Bangkok and being able to connect to a domestic flight to Phuket?

Also considering the UK still has not pulled its finger out and decided on proof of vaccination certificate/passport, what they will require as proof and whether this can actually be obtained from the NHS or UK government.

Edited by Steve80

7 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The meeting was for/with FOREIGN consuls and representatives on the island so of course the Thai officials would remind them to pass along the word to their nationals and other constituents. Did you happen to read that the THAI Prime Minister was fined for not wearing a mask in public? It has nothing to do with targeting any particular group of people...it's to get everyone on the same page. Even after over 20 years, I don't understand the reflexive defensiveness of so many T-V members. If you hate Thailand...leave!

You really think the PM's ' fine ' was anything other than a blatant PR exercise. Seems you have learnt very little of Thailand in those 20 years .

• Like 1

It's funny because I've lived in Thailand for 30 years and have not once encountered an anti foreigner Thai and I have met 1000s. The only Thais I avoid if I can, are the miserable puppets in Immigration in Hua Hin. Aside from that I have loved living amongst the Thais and would choose them over the Brits any day of the week. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We seemed to be facing everchanging Covid regulations and different rules in every province and it would be helpful if there was one site on the internet where this info was available and regularly updated.

We could check each morning and be fully informed. Surely that is not to much to ask for ?

6 hours ago, Dialemco said:

Mass vaccination programme of whole of Thailand needs tovbe carried out. Every effort should be made to manufacture AZ vaccine in sufficient quantities as soon as possible. Meantime no tourism should be encouraged domestic or international. 

Yes on vaccination but what has tourism to do with spreading covid? Recent outbreak started because of a party.  Most transmission jjn family setting. 

We can't keep everyone locked up forever

And I bet that all those foreign officials just sat there like schoolboys in the headmasters study, their heads bowed saying nothing, not a word about the two tier systems, and how Government policies and statements may lead to discrimination on any fronts. Its about time these officials started to shine a light on the many areas where this Government may be lacking and offer support - Governance, Education, Rule of Law and enforcement to name but a few.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Charlie Halliday said:

It's funny because I've lived in Thailand for 30 years and have not once encountered an anti foreigner Thai and I have met 1000s. The only Thais I avoid if I can, are the miserable puppets in Immigration in Hua Hin. Aside from that I have loved living amongst the Thais and would choose them over the Brits any day of the week. 

Congratulations! You win the "Least number of posts on Thaivisa per decade" award.  ????

• Sad 1

Again with The Foreigners!!!

I don't see any foreigners.... I see The Dutch and an Australian who are either residents or Diplomats. I see The Government local. Reps of Phuket and one may have Chinese or Korean heritage. 

No Foreigners. 

So unless the Aussies or the Dutch sent out a statement from they're embassies... to all Australians or The Dutch.....THE WARNING IS MEANINGLESS.

Its especially MEANINGLESS IF YOU THINK THIS WILL COVER OR HAVE MEANING FOR THE OTHER 200+ countries on the Planet.

Furthermore: .If its really the US and THEM belief again.... let's see all the Consulates

Of every country standing there beside you Phuket Gov. And Vise Gov.....

I do not see the Representatives from Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Andora, Angola.....etc. etc.... 

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Charlie Halliday said:

Take it you speak fluent Thai then.

The 11 imported cases over the past 24 hours were quarantined arrivals from India, the United Arab Emirates, Czech Republic, Qatar and China.

China.  China. China.v China. China. China.v China. China. China.vv????

• Like 1

I think they made their statement after reviewing the many videos of the many foreigners breaking the various covid rules on drinking and large gatherings. Do not take everything personal it only makes you unfit for human company

Wow.  I don't understand the vitriol.

If a foreigner was walking down the street spitting on everyone during the pandemic, there would be unanimous calls here on TVF to deport his/her sorry butt.

All this notice is saying is, that may happen.  Seems like a pretty prudent heads up to anyone considering stupidity...