Phuket foreigners told to be COVID ‘socially responsible’ or face expulsion

webfact

On 4/28/2021 at 7:02 PM, joecoolfrog said:

You really think the PM's ' fine ' was anything other than a blatant PR exercise. Seems you have learnt very little of Thailand in those 20 years .

All the comments from the Greek Chorus of TV cynics thinking it's profound to post on if the PM was really fined or if he actually paid it. Do you think I care...I just repeated what the media said. 

On 4/28/2021 at 5:32 PM, digger70 said:

What are they doing to the Thais ? let them THB 6000 and a Way and All is Well ? 

If the Just Fine the Thais than it  should be just Fine  the Foreigners Right .

Why so? Thai citizens have a right to reside in Thailand and it's against international law to make someone a stateless person. Obviously foreigners are in a different situation, and it they can't follow the law where they are visiting/living, they can be expelled. (FYI: Convicted foreign alien felons, once their sentence is served, are normally expelled from the USA...while citizens are released and allowed to stay in the country.)

On 4/28/2021 at 4:40 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I think very few would say they hate Thailand, or its people. I think very many, foreigners and Thais alike, would say they hate the people who run it.

That's a fair statement and many will agree with it. I have said previously I doubt many of the negative posts are from members actually visiting/residing in the country. Any one who has spent any amount of time in the country wouldn't feel as they do...or they've already left.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 3:06 PM, TKDfella said:

Yes, if foreigners break Covid rules, punish them but keep it in line with the punishment of Thais. Again, this exploitation of a foreigner's vulnerability of expulsion.

The fines are the same for Thais and foreigners. You act like the first violation gets a foreigner deported...why are so many people so paranoid? It's a series of escalating fines for repeated violations and if someone just doesn't get the hint, they may be deported...and good riddance. 

On 4/28/2021 at 3:02 PM, Scouse123 said:

The fine for the primer minister was no more than silly Thai news grabbing propaganda for public consumption by the masses, and give them a subject to talk about whilst eating their som tam.

Foreign consuls and representatives have very little to do with the expat communities in Thailand, so its unlikely they will be ' passing along ' anything. Indeed, many long term expats are far more clued up to what is going on than a ' Posted '  diplomat.

If everybody is not on the same page after 13 months of TV, Radio, social media information being put out there, then they maybe you are a tree or a lamp post as opposed to being an intelligent human capable of gathering and absorbing information?

You mention reflexive defensiveness, I wonder how that comes about?....... Maybe with the constant drivel blaming everything on foreigners and not their own incompetence, that comes out of both the Prime minister and the Health ministers mouths on a daily basis with their anti foreigner, jingoistic, xenophobic statements?

Lastly, you stated ' if you hate Thailand ....leave! ' 

Well, you have as much power to enforce that childish statement as the local soi dog, and TV members will probably pay just as much attention.

Many and/or most of us are here for deep rooted family commitments, so it's not so easy just to up sticks and go back to our own countries.

Furthermore, I have seen and spoken to plenty of Thais that complain about things who are resident in the UK but we don't tell them to go back to their own country either. We listen to their point of view as it is valid, they live there, pay tax ( some of them ) and contribute to the economy, rather like Expats in Thailand.

I hear Qatar has some great one-way fares from Bangkok to the UK ????????

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Why so? Thai citizens have a right to reside in Thailand and it's against international law to make someone a stateless person. Obviously foreigners are in a different situation, and it they can't follow the law where they are visiting/living, they can be expelled. (FYI: Convicted foreign alien felons, once their sentence is served, are normally expelled from the USA...while citizens are released and allowed to stay in the country.)

You see it your way ,Many other people see it their way. We are Not in the USA.

14 hours ago, digger70 said:

You see it your way ,Many other people see it their way. We are Not in the USA.

The point being most (all?) countries treat nationals different than non-nationals. It's the norm...the way some members are protesting, you'd think Thailand was the only one. But yes, people will disagree...just curious why so many expats feel so put upon...what are they up to? 

2 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The point being most (all?) countries treat nationals different than non-nationals. It's the norm...the way some members are protesting, you'd think Thailand was the only one. But yes, people will disagree...just curious why so many expats feel so put upon...what are they up to? 

Time will tell Who knows, this is Thailand .

They are charge for the good and the Bad that will happen.

22 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

All the comments from the Greek Chorus of TV cynics thinking it's profound to post on if the PM was really fined or if he actually paid it. Do you think I care...I just repeated what the media said. 

Looking at the amount of time and posts you spend on it, it looks you DO care a lot ....555555

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Looking at the amount of time and posts you spend on it, it looks you DO care a lot ....555555

I mentioned it once (and not the main point of the post)...then all the Thailand cynics chimed it on if he paid or not like it was some profound point nobody else thought of.

23 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The fines are the same for Thais and foreigners. You act like the first violation gets a foreigner deported...why are so many people so paranoid? It's a series of escalating fines for repeated violations and if someone just doesn't get the hint, they may be deported...and good riddance. 

You miss the point I made Thai people cannot be deported no matter how many times they flout the law.

these  clowns dont have a clue.. they set themselves up same as Anutin has so many times for  a huge turnaround / retraction in what they say.. all it requires is for one journalist to write that the Phuket regional government considers  foreigners; both those that reside in Phuket and tourists alike ,  as a potential  source of risk  as it pertains to socially responsible behaviour for the prevention of transmission of the  COVID virus and have in person warned various  foreign consular leaders that any foreigners caught ignoring or acting in a manner contrary to the guidelines would face legal action or be deported from the kingdom.............. head it up with an headline like "Tourists and Foreigners face Deportation and Legal action In Phuket"  and bingo another nail in the Tourism Coffin and would have these two muppets back peddling as fast as they can.. honestly  they really need good PR folks in the government  to guide and modify what these muppets regularly spew out so it does not place at risk their future economic prosperity .... 

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

You miss the point I made Thai people cannot be deported no matter how many times they flout the law.

I didn't miss it and it's a silly point....because it's Thailand. And as I said, most countries deport undesirable ????s who repeatedly flout local laws.

• Sad 1

The Australian Consul or Embassy are a joke... 

Im Australian and going there is like you are a criminal  no help at all and they dont sign papers  documents now or do a  letter of residence zip just there to put ex politicians in a job and go to parties and suck c... 

They would be as helpful as a hole in the he head for covid 

tyranny deflection rules : “ if no foreign enemies amongst us...... create them “...........

” use fear & intimidation to cow the population into submission”.......

there is now almost nothing to go out for now; road trip, beach, food.....

now just being out on foot might be deportable...... police tea money now rebooted by directly encouraging them to harass and shake down foreigners in the street ..........

does my full -face visor -down helmet count as a mask......  ? you know, the one that I always wear on the motorbike, which almost no one else wears, which I will now wear on foot......between bike shop bike...... or the fools wearing a useless cloth mask, by themselves, on a bike in motion, but No Helmet , with flip flops .........having no idea how ridiculous they look and are. .... protected from some unknown wind-blown covid but not from landing on their empty head or face......

1500 moped road deaths each month ? vs.20 monthly covid deaths ...... ?

so which statistic is massively more important to reduce than the other ?

and about which nothing effective ever done ,,,,,,. BAN MOPEDS ?

• Confused 1

On 4/28/2021 at 1:57 PM, TheFishman1 said:

In other breaking news the Russian vaccine that the Thai government has ordered they are not allowing to use it in Brazil due to the fact of lack of data lack of transparency I was a vaccine therefore Brazil will not use the Russian vaccine the Thai government thinks it’s a great deal so why not Get it TIT

Well I read an article in "The Lancet" that spoke very highly of the Sputnik vaccine, it has an efficency rating of over 90%.

• 2 weeks later...