Prachuap hospital appeals for blood donations amid critical shortage

webfact

10pm.jpg

Picture: Talk News Online

The director of Prachuap Khiri Khan hospital Dr Pongphat Theeranantachai has made an urgent appeal for donations of blood.

He said that shortages caused by people not giving blood because of the pandemic had now reached critical levels. 

He said that normally there would be supplies of 40 units for each of the groups, O, A, B and AB.

Most people are O and there are now only 5 units available per day. 

With relatively routine surgery requiring 4 units and more complicated surgery 10 or more units the severity of the problem is clear.

The hospital is the main one in the province with 280 beds and six operating theaters. 

The director made an appeal for blood donations to be made at the first floor of the Anusorn 36 Years building between 8.30 am and 3 pm daily (no days off). 

People can call with queries on 032 601060-4 Ex 2089.

You must be 18-60 to give blood with no pre-existing medical conditions. You must weigh 50 kilograms or more.

Those with a history of sexual related problems or drug taking are barred. 

People should not be taking some specific medications and pregnant women or those breastfeeding cannot donate. 

Donors need to have had six hours rest at least before giving blood and these rules would be followed to the letter, said the director in a story published by Talk News Online yesterday. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-28

2 hours ago, webfact said:

You must be 18-60 to give blood with no pre-existing medical conditions. You must weigh 50 kilograms or more.

Those with a history of sexual related problems or drug taking are barred. 

People should not be taking some specific medications and pregnant women or those breastfeeding cannot donate. 

Donors need to have had six hours rest at least before giving blood and these rules would be followed to the letter, said the director in a story published by Talk News Online yesterday.

They can drain your wallet, but not your blood ....... due to numerous out of date rules. very few farang qualify.

I regularly donate at the local Red Cross but after reading this, it does make me angry as, it’s fine for them to ask for urgent donations when they need blood (given free) but when a foreigner receives it, they are charged 3-4 times the price of a Thai person just as we, as foreigners, are charged 3-4 times the price at Hh hospital if we go with a problem. It’s a shame that the ‘favor’ isn’t done both ways, but this is Thailand after all!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Falcon said:

but when a foreigner receives it, they are charged 3-4 times the price of a Thai person 

Is that true? Genuine question. I can understand there being a charge for the blood but I did a quick search on the Internet and can't find anything relating to the price of blood. I found another thread that talked about it but no one was willing to say how much it costs.

My thoughts, if you are a blood donor, you should receive blood at a reduced price if you need it one day yourself. I think that would encourage more to come forwards and donate.

13 hours ago, alien365 said:

Is that true? Genuine question. I can understand there being a charge for the blood but I did a quick search on the Internet and can't find anything relating to the price of blood. I found another thread that talked about it but no one was willing to say how much it costs.

My thoughts, if you are a blood donor, you should receive blood at a reduced price if you need it one day yourself. I think that would encourage more to come forwards and donate.

Yes, perfectly true. Foreigners are routinely charged at least 3X the Thai price at Hua hin hospital. Blood is alway charged for although some hospitals do disguise this charge by saying “we don’t charge for blood but for the equipment used for transfusing it and the nurses and doctors fees to administer it”. Nothing is free here in Thailand as regards medical matters, especially for a foreigner, except for when you donate it of course, there’s just too much money to be made out of medical health to be anything else.