Higher, faster, deadlier: Third wave of COVID triggers growing fear in Thailand

webfact

428282.jpg

By Thai PBS World’s General Desk 

A grim warning has been issued by a leading medical expert as Thailand grapples with its third and worst wave of COVID-19: expect a double-digit death toll to become regular daily occurrence.

Prof Dr. Prasit Watanapa, dean of Mahidol University’s Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, spoke up on Tuesday (April 27) as the country recorded its second day of two-figure fatalities – 15 COVID-related deaths. The first came just two days earlier amid a death toll that has been mounting every day since April 17.

“At Siriraj Hospital, about one in four COVID-19 patients has developed lung inflammation,” Prasit said, “This rate, which is more than before, will translate into a higher mortality rate – a two-digit figure [perhaps daily]”.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/higher-faster-deadlier-third-wave-of-covid-triggers-growing-fear-in-thailand/

Logo-top-.png
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, eeworldwide said:

Back in April last year, I watched a broadcast by the association of foreign press or something like that, here in Thailand, and a rep from hotels and tourism said they thought that things wouldn't really return to a recognisably normal state until 2025.

That surely would be the death knell for tourism in Thailand.  UNLESS - we learn to live with it. Let's see how far we are on with a vaccine at the end of the year.

IF most (70% +) are vaccinated by Jan 2022, I think it's permissable to suggest things getting back on track by June next year.

Yes........I would plumb for something around that time scale........

• Like 2

Drove through a "Top-10" city in Thailand today, based on population.  

NOBODY is out......Ghost town.

Twice I asked myself, "Bro, is it Wednesday?"

Falangs are always the last to know.......the Thais know something!!!!

i went and got a face tat of a mask so people will know i'm down with the program

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Somtamnication said:

It is getting worse. Get those masks purchases, it is going to be a tough ride for the next month or two.

Ha....wife just this second walked with a box of 50.....I send her out to do all the shopping now and make sure she washes when she gets back.....not a fan of covid.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1