Higher, faster, deadlier: Third wave of COVID triggers growing fear in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Do they understand that death is a lagging indicator, and that with 2,000 to 3,000 cases every day for the last week the number of deaths is bound become much higher in the near future.

It is when they admit 500-600 in hospital are in critical condition.

2 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Tell that to India!! 

Well, India has about 20 times the population of France, but "only" 10 times the number of cases and deaths.

So you should say "tell that to France" which, by the way, has been under full or semi lockdown for a year...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Have you bothered to watch the news or are you paranoid it's all a big fake?

I have not seen any pictures from France that bare any resemblance to the tragedy unfolding across India

I am more of a numbers guy, so I watch the worldometer rather than the gory news.

Edited by Brunolem
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brunolem said:

I am more of a numbers guy, so I rather watch the worldometer rather than the gory news.

Please make sure you report back when (not if) the India figures exceed the French on a per capita basis (Even without and under-reporting of numbers in India just now).

PH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobMuir said:

This B1.1.7 UK strain is a different beast. It isn't only Thailand copping it.

44% of new US cases are the B1.1.7 now. 

The figure in Thailand of the UK strain is 98%. Without it it would be pretty much normal here like the second half of last year.

Where, where, where it came from??? ????

Not from quaranteened europeans, for sure... De-facto closing borders for wealty/business, and having it transparent for the illegal migration - this is a briliant result of this government's policy.

Actually, this outcome was easy to forecast. But ban those who comply, and close eyes on those who do not comply its much easier for authorities.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Well, India has about 20 times the population of France, but "only" 10 times the number of cases and deaths.

So you should say "tell that to France" which, by the way, has been under full or semi lockdown for a year...

Could it be because France has a more accurate reporting system? 

Do you really believe that India and Brazil have the same number of daily deaths, even though India has 8 times the number of new infections? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

What I find tragic is that people who are asymptematic/positive showing no symptoms are hospitalised, yet someone like the young man mentioned in another post died because he couldn't be admitted due to all the beds being taken!

Could they not be quarantined in their own homes, thereby freeing up beds for more needy cases??

And who will Police the Home Quarantines.

I agree 100 % with what you are saying, but this is Thailand and it is similar to herding Cats in getting the Thai population to adhere to anything on a Voluntary basis

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Ventenio said:

Drove through a "Top-10" city in Thailand today, based on population.  

NOBODY is out......Ghost town.

Twice I asked myself, "Bro, is it Wednesday?"

Falangs are always the last to know.......the Thais know something!!!!

i went and got a face tat of a mask so people will know i'm down with the program

Over one year since face masks become prevalent.

2 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

It's looking like this could go on for another year or two.  

Oh I'd wager quite a bit longer than that. 

In countries that just don't shut up shop. No one in. No travel for a month.

Then still no one in, extended indefinitely. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

On the contrary. Thais show a high degree of conformist, cooperation  and social  responsibility in these matters. Your view is just vaguely  racists.

I would agree with the exception that for many no work means absolutely no income.......and if they don't feel ill, the younger ones are less likely to self-quarantine.......

• Like 1

Just now, The Hammer2021 said:

On the contrary. Thais show a high degree of conformist, cooperation  and social  responsibility in these matters. Your view is just vaguely  racists.

You must be walking around wearing your rose tinted glasses still.

It is not Racist my friend, just factual.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

So the strategy is to induce unbridle fear in the population, drive down economic activity and destroy tourism...... .........what do you feel is the objective of this strategy?

Selling news....social media driven. If this 'Pandemic' had happened 30 years ago I very much doubt it would have been noticed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Of course they do.

In the UK deaths peaked 18 days behind cases, 26th Jan and 8th Jan respectively. Cases peaked at 67K and deaths at 1.63K, about 2.4%.

On a pro rata basis if cases were to peak at around the 3000 figure then the peak in daily deaths would be around 73. 

On 10th April cases were shown to be 789 so on the same 18 day basis deaths of around 19 could have been expected today, but is not an exact science.

Deaths here appear to be happening much faster after diagnosis. I think part of that is that people are waiting too loo to test (or cant get a test), and getting very sick at home - 10/15 of the dead today got infected in the home. They they turn up to hospital on deaths door. Sad, because some may have survived if they sought treatment earlier. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

The deniers will be happy with Thailands approach, keep the numbers low and attribute death to other causes. Make sure that not everyone can get tested. That one way to keep it down. The fact that we read more and more about having problems getting tested makes me lose faith in the numbers.

My Lady lives in Kut Chap, many deaths  last few months, all from HEART ATTACKS,!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Do you really believe that India and Brazil have the same number of daily deaths, even though India has 8 times the number of new infections? 

Actually they don't.

India has between 2,500 and 3,000 daily deaths, while France has 300, yet with 20 times less people.

To be on par, India should have 6,000 daily deaths, which they may have, given the uncertainties regarding numbers over there.

Edited by Brunolem
  • Confused 1