Higher, faster, deadlier: Third wave of COVID triggers growing fear in Thailand

webfact

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

According to data coming out of Australia, about 30% of unvaccinated infected patients are having to deal with long-term lung damage, requiring months of rehabilitation.

OTOH, data from around the world is saying even when a vaccinated person becomes infected with the less efficacious vaccines such as Astra Zeneca, their recovery is no worse than a mild flu.

<deleted>. It's 30% of infected Australians who went into the ICU who have long-term lung damage.

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

According to data coming out of Australia, about 30% of unvaccinated infected patients are having to deal with long-term lung damage, requiring months of rehabilitation.

OTOH, data from around the world is saying even when a vaccinated person becomes infected with the less efficacious vaccines such as Astra Zeneca, their recovery is no worse than a mild flu.

Thank you. Precisely! Yet some people put 'confused ' emojos on such statements!

• Confused 2

Thailand is underreporting because look at what happens if you get caught with COVID.

Not that it really matters.  The cases are what they are.

the good news is I hear reports of Bangkok seeming abandoned.  That is good - that is how you break transmission!  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

Good post, thank you Barry.

Something I would like to add is that Western governments seem to be using every chance possible to put the fear of God into the people. In the UK, cases are now very, very low, but instead of saying that they're saying "look at what's going on in India, that could happen here if we're not careful" - it's scaremongering and there's obviously something odd going on.

It almost seems like some people in government have a vested interest in keeping lockdowns going on for as long as possible. We were told last year that once the vulnerable were vaccinated, everything would go back to normal, but lo and behold it was a lie.

The whole point of the safety measures that are in place makes organising a protest against the Government pretty difficult!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

And who will Police the Home Quarantines.

I agree 100 % with what you are saying, but this is Thailand and it is similar to herding Cats in getting the Thai population to adhere to anything on a Voluntary basis

The Police should Police the home quarantines - get them to work for their wages.

And regarding your comment regarding getting Thais to do anything on a voluntary basis obviously carries some weight, but all the Thais I know are terrified of catching Covid and are wearing masks - even on motor bikes - often without a helmet. So although it is illegal to ride a motor bike without a helmet, they seem to readily take to wearing masks (OK, now we have 20,000 baht fines in the equation) but even before that, in my area, the masks outnumbered the helmets substantially!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Britman Free said:

I was planning to move there later this year but Thailand from the outside now looks like just another country descending into lunacy - and a year behind the curve. 

I don't think it is for you mate.

It is way too hot.

16 minutes ago, Britman Free said:

It's way too hot there already so I feel sorry for you guys

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I am puzzled by these figures. I have never met anybody who has had the virus. All I get is "you cannot go to any Big C because a (one) customer who tested positive had visited Big C Mae Hia (17 km away), or you cannot go to the market because "I heard that somebody in the neighbouring village has been taken to hospital". There is so much misinformation circulating that I suspect people with their own agenda stand to profit.

All the locals in my moban are keeping indoors as much as possible, mask wearing is 100%.  The usual group of gamblers and drinkers continue to meet discreetly in the back shop. There have been only two deaths so far this year neither Covid related.

As I said, none of my wife's extended family nor acquaintances have contracted the virus nor known anybody who has.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Maybole said:

I am puzzled by these figures. I have never met anybody who has had the virus. All I get is "you cannot go to any Big C because a (one) customer who tested positive had visited Big C Mae Hia (17 km away), or you cannot go to the market because "I heard that somebody in the neighbouring village has been taken to hospital". There is so much misinformation circulating that I suspect people with their own agenda stand to profit.

All the locals in my moban are keeping indoors as much as possible, mask wearing is 100%.  The usual group of gamblers and drinkers continue to meet discreetly in the back shop. There have been only two deaths so far this year neither Covid related.

As I said, none of my wife's extended family nor acquaintances have contracted the virus nor known anybody who has.

Mentally prepare for the lockdowns.  They get tough after a few months ????

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Maybole said:

So you believe it is all just a big lie. Another denier. Amazing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Did the UK not move away from ventilators quite early on as they were found not too work or worse trigger a negative response in patients?

The 'amazing' UK ventilator challenge resulted in the government buying 30,000 ventilators and only using 2000+............

That would be  Dyson . 

Ex singapore ,  soon  UK ...

Grants , bribes .   etc ...

Nothing new ..

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Maybole said:

Another one surprised that responsible citizens and controls prevents cases.

If you want to meet lots of COVID cases, you need to go to Western countries that let it get out of hand.  Maybe you can also find some anti-maskers.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Richard Hall said:

It took about one and a half year that 0.04% of the world population died by or with this virus.

In short, I reckon there are other issues on this planet that are more frightening and deadlier under these circumstances.

Is that a mitigation view or a denier view. You have me confused.  Research Long Covid and get back to us.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

Wait until the Indian strain arrives. That better never happens. 

Who was the Thai Medical Idiot that stated that the South African strain couldn't effect the Thai people. Guess what, They all can.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Is that a mitigation view or a denier view. You have me confused.  Research Long Covid and get back to us.

Neither nor. It is just an objective statement. Personal interpretation up to you.

• Like 1