Generator Brand Recomendations Please

luudee

Hello,

I want to buy a generator. 8-10KW single phase 220V.

Lots of listings on Lazada, and www.europa.co.th  ...

Which brand/model would you guys recommend?

Anybody already own one? What should I look out for? What are the gotchas? This will be my first generator.

Will I be able to power a 1.5HP (about 1,200W) water pump of a generator?

Many Thanks !!!

rudi

A few questions.

• Fuel - Petrol, Diesel, LPG, buffalo dung?
  • Full auto or manual start? I recommend full auto, going out in the wet and dark (it's always wet and dark) gets old very quickly.
  • What do you actually need to run (forget water heaters)?
  • Prime (full time) use or backup power?

Do you intend a DIY install or hire a contractor?

Loads of similar low-cost Chinese units out there, or there are the big names (Hyundai etc.).

We have a 5.5kVA Kwai-Thong petrol unit which I've modified for full auto, it runs everything except the A/C (ok it runs our bedroom A/C a 12,000 BTU conventional unit, don't tell our guests). It will run the lounge A/C which is a 23,000 BTU inverter unit (so soft starting). It will actually start and run our 3HP irrigation pump but it does chug a bit.

41 minutes ago, Crossy said:

A few questions.

• Fuel - Petrol, Diesel, LPG, buffalo dung?
  • Full auto or manual start? I recommend full auto, going out in the wet and dark (it's always wet and dark) gets old very quickly.
  • What do you actually need to run (forget water heaters)?
  • Prime (full time) use or backup power?

Do you intend a DIY install or hire a contractor?

Loads of similar low-cost Chinese units out there, or there are the big names (Hyundai etc.).

We have a 5.5kVA Kwai-Thong petrol unit which I've modified for full auto, it runs everything except the A/C (ok it runs our bedroom A/C a 12,000 BTU conventional unit, don't tell our guests). It will run the lounge A/C which is a 23,000 BTU inverter unit (so soft starting). It will actually start and run our 3HP irrigation pump but it does chug a bit.

Thanks for your reply Crossy !

Well, I did not expect  more questions than answers ????

What fuel would you recommend?

I know Diesel may get stale if sitting for too long, so may be just gasoline or LPG. Buffalo dung unit would be nice ????

This will be for purely backup only. It seems we get 8h power cuts about once a month.

Luckily, now they mostly announce them ...

So, I really want a reliable unit. Reliability is the most important aspect for me.

Are there good quality Chinese units out there? Or should I go for a brand name?

I will install it myself. Any recommendation on transfer switches, also appreciated.

It will be used to power lots of smaller items. The only large item is the mentioned

water pump. It typically runs for 15 seconds, then is off for 15 seconds. That's when

somebody is using lots of water. I probably will not need more than true 4,000 watt,

but my experience with Asian made equipment is that you need to ask for 2x of what

your truly need. Plus, I like to have some extra capacity, just in case. So, 7.5-10kw unit

is my goal ...

Many Thanks!

rudi

Actually it's petrol that goes stale, diesel is pretty stable (and they will run on your used cooking oil).

Our local MegaHome has diesel sets at about 5kVA complete with an automatic transfer switch for about 50K Baht. I'll have to check exactly next time I'm there.

5kVA will run your pump quite happily.

Don't forget a standard 15/45 mains supply is only 10kVA!!

These open-frame units are NOISY (despite what it says), if you have neighbours they won't love you for having power, they will love you even less for keeping them awake.

No option for remote or automatic start / stop.

Price is about right for a basic petrol unit.

It should power everything you want to run ???? 

Do have a look around your local area, our unit came from the local farm equipment shop.

Whatever you decide, make sure the dealer can start it.  Not so easy to do from Lazada but try to get assurance if going that route.  Nothing worse than an engine that is difficult to get started.

Edit:  I see the one you link has "AVR (Average Voltage Regulator)".  Very good.  ????

Edited by bankruatsteve

13 hours ago, luudee said:

This will be for purely backup only. It seems we get 8h power cuts about once a month.

Luckily, now they mostly announce them ...

If you only have intermittent power cuts, would a couple of batteries and a converter not do the job?

4 batteries will give you 1000 W for 4 hours.

No fuel, oil change and moving part to worry about.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/product/12v-lifepo4-deep-cycle-battery/

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

If you only have intermittent power cuts, would a couple of batteries and a converter not do the job?

$900 a battery, 4 batteries = $3,600 .......... generators cost $500.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

$900 a battery, 4 batteries = $3,600 .......... generators cost $500.

fair point, but silence is priceless.

especially if one has very young/elderly family or neighbours..

there are the added expenses of the converter & presumably a solar panel / controller to keep em topped up to consider though..

more like 4 n quarter

e2a - oh & sourcing decent hardware ...

Edited by edgarfriendly

5 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Yes, indeed. I do have a 6,000W APC UPS. I also have two external battery packs. It costs me about 60,000 baht every two years to replace the batteries (the room where this is all located is not chilled).

Right now, the UPS can keep things running for about 2 hours. I would like to cut down the batteries to some 15-30 minutes to save money, and use the generator for the longer power outages.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, edgarfriendly said:

fair point, but silence is priceless.

especially if one has very young/elderly family or neighbours..

there are the added expenses of the converter & presumably a solar panel / controller to keep em topped up to consider though..

more like 4 n quarter

e2a - oh & sourcing decent hardware ...

I'm not worried about noise, and pissing off neighbors. ????

I do plan to keep the generator in a dry garage. I am also planning to come with a method to attach a hose of some sorts on the exhaust and guide that outside by the roof. Also, I do not intend to run this unit overnight. It is not sufficient for my ACs. And in my 22 years at this location, we never had a prolonged overnight power failure so far. If that ever happens, I will go to a local hotel, lol.

• Like 1

Everybody who replied, Thank you very much !

Your commends where Educational and amusing at times! ????

Very much appreciated all your time !!!

I will now order the unit I have earmarked. I actually prefer a unit that I have to manually start. I don't want for it to randomly come on without me knowing ...

Again, thanks for all the feedback guys !!!

rudi

• Like 1