Where can I check if a Rolex is original?

Genix

Hello,

I am looking to buy a used Rolex from a specific person however I would like to check if it's original or not before purchasing as there's a ton of fakes in Thailand.

I called Rolex dealers and they said their policy does not allow them.

Is there a solution to this?

Thanks

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Take a look at the model online....  search YouTube videos of how to identify fakes of that specific model. 

Of course, it could be a ‘grade A’ fake in which case you may not be able to recognise a fake. 

I find it strange that Rolex will not verify a watch. 

Perhaps ask a Rolex dealer if they will ’service a watch’ which is not a bad idea before you buy anyway. 

Is the seller ok with the Watch being serviced before its sold ?

Great idea above. Take it to a Rolex dealer for servicing. They will only touch it after confirming it is original

• Like 2

I think you have to send it to Rolex.  I heard they will NOT send back a fake.  It might need some service anyhow.

tell him you'll pay the 8000 baht or you initially split the service fee.

IF (unlikely, I'm sure they are all fake) it comes back, agree to the sale.

i am against this purchase any other route.  you can't buy a watch and wonder all day, every day......is this think real?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All Rolex watches sold by an official Rolex dealer will come with a guarantee card or papers as well as the box it came in. If it's an old watch before 2006 the guarantee will be in paper form after that they changed to a credit card style. If Lost these papers can't not be replaced they are unique to the watch.

If the seller had bought the watch new then he will have them. Most Rolex buyers know the importance of the papers and the box, without them the value of the watch is less so ask him this question. If you want to have it checked then take it to MBK there are a number of shops that buy and sell watches. They will be able to tell you if it's real.

just remember.  people WILL spend BIG MONEY on a fake rolex if they can sell it for more.   pawn shop show...guy said a guy spent 5000 USD on a fake rolex (swapped out the movement) and some other stuff to try to sell it for 10,000.

i got a "Rolex paper guy" for you in BKK....30,000 for "real" papers.  Oh, wow, they look soo authentic!!!  well, they look good buy you still lost.

i'm sure you will be warned enough......who knows.  maybe they even show you a real one and then swap it at the last second.

lol

3 hours ago, Ventenio said:

I think you have to send it to Rolex.  I heard they will NOT send back a fake.  It might need some service anyhow.

tell him you'll pay the 8000 baht or you initially split the service fee.

IF (unlikely, I'm sure they are all fake) it comes back, agree to the sale.

i am against this purchase any other route.  you can't buy a watch and wonder all day, every day......is this think real?

Send it to me. I will take a look at it. id it's a fake. I wont send it back either. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Visit a Rolex shop and say you want to buy a used Rolex, it's like going to a car(Benz)  garage that you want to buy a used ones, people took them on credits and couldn't afford to complete payments, especially with in this pandemic period or go to a bank and say you want to buy a used Rolex. Or else, you will buy a rolex with the wrong engine, even in any developed or developing country PERIOD!!!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Rolex boxes, too can be faked.

The only way you can tell if its genuine, is to take the case off, and check the mechanism of it...Not you obviously! Try to find a good independent watch maker who knows his onions!

Apparently Rolex fakes, can look amazingly authentic...so very hard to spot the fake ones...

As has been said, Rolex wont tell you if its genuine. In the U.K. apparently, if a "fake" Rolex is sent into them to be repaired, they will keep it and not send it back!!

All things Rolex can  be faked........so make sure before you hand over your hard earned cash!

• Like 1

Only buy from authorised or reputable dealers in Thailand , it's not worth the risk to buy privately here.

also , prices of genuine Rolex watches don't deviate much from market prices can check through chrono24 , if it is selling at a price at anything like 20% or willing to accept offers less than mkt. value , then high probability of it being either fake or Frankenstein.

• Like 2

It used to be that if you could hear a Rolex ticking when pressed against your ear, it was a fake.

I bought a fake one from Patpong in the early 90's and could hear the mechanism ticking away.

Someone told me the innards used in fakes were made by Timex.

I only bought the fake watch to wear on days when I had to do company presentations. It soon started to tarnish due to sweat and rainwater.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Genix said:

I am looking to buy a used Rolex from a specific person

1.     First make sure he's the owner and has not borrowed it from a friend.

2.    Use a magnifying glass to look at the name on the dial. If it reads 'Lolex' be suspicious. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Justtaste said:

Visit a Rolex shop and say you want to buy a used Rolex, it's like going to a car(Benz)  garage that you want to buy a used ones, people took them on credits and couldn't afford to complete payments, especially with in this pandemic period or go to a bank and say you want to buy a used Rolex. Or else, you will buy a rolex with the wrong engine, even in any developed or developing country PERIOD!!!

Rolex does not take trade-ins. You won't find used ones at any official dealer.

• Like 2

The Rolex movement is "perpetual", and not battery-driven. The "second" hand is a 360-degree sweep type. 

I did some business with a Londoner, many years ago, who told me he used to be a fake Rolex purveyor. Had the boxes, guarantee paper etc. made up in Spain, seemingly.

Caveat emptor (let the buyer beware)!

Expert Watch in Bangkok is the usual authenticator for Rolex on the secondary market in Bangkok. They're well respected and pretty much all the big second hand dealers selling on Siamnaliga go through them. In any case, don't buy from random dealers. There are a few well established used watch dealers in town and I would stick with them.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

1.     First make sure he's the owner and has not borrowed it from a friend.

2.    Use a magnifying glass to look at the name on the dial. If it reads 'Lolex' be suspicious. 

3. Make sure that the arm and hand are not more attached to the watch.