Where can I check if a Rolex is original?

Genix

15 hours ago, Justtaste said:

Visit a Rolex shop and say you want to buy a used Rolex, it's like going to a car(Benz)  garage that you want to buy a used ones, people took them on credits and couldn't afford to complete payments, especially with in this pandemic period or go to a bank and say you want to buy a used Rolex. Or else, you will buy a rolex with the wrong engine, even in any developed or developing country PERIOD!!!

Complete nonsense.

Even if there is a Rolex AD in Bangkok that sells used watches how would that help the OP who knows which used watch he wants already?

Rolex ADs don't repossess watches they've sold!

Banks don't sell watches to walk-in customers!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Complete nonsense.

Even if there is a Rolex AD in Bangkok that sells used watches how would that help the OP who knows which used watch he wants already?

Rolex ADs don't repossess watches they've sold!

Banks don't sell watches to walk-in customers!

they give them to official ....

27 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Rolex bought in Thailand, personally I think they are among the most undesirable watches, most of them are ugly IMO

Up to $700,000 it can't be too "undesirable". A genuine Rolex bought in Thailand is no different than bought anywhere else.

Edited by giddyup

26 minutes ago, malathione said:

Expert Watch in Bangkok is the usual authenticator for Rolex on the secondary market in Bangkok. They're well respected and pretty much all the big second hand dealers selling on Siamnaliga go through them. In any case, don't buy from random dealers. There are a few well established used watch dealers in town and I would stick with them.

Bt 1,000 to check if genuine or not - www.expert-watch.com/en/เช็คนาฬิกาแท้-ปลอม/. Definitely worth it if your're buying privately.

There is a branch under Central World, next to the Post Office.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Fakes don't come with a warranty or certificate of authenticity or even in a Rolex box. If it's just a watch only, I would be sceptical.

A friend of mine just bought a new rolex watch and she showed it to me.

She bought it on Lazada,it is very heavy,comes in a very nice box,comes with a certificate of authenticity and some other stuff.

And it is fake!

1 hour ago, malathione said:

Expert Watch in Bangkok is the usual authenticator for Rolex on the secondary market in Bangkok. They're well respected and pretty much all the big second hand dealers selling on Siamnaliga go through them. In any case, don't buy from random dealers. There are a few well established used watch dealers in town and I would stick with them.

Where are the used watch dealers in Bangkok, please?

I have a grade A fake, got authentication papers, warranty card, a box, bag, serial number on the watch in the appropriate place. Everything on the watch exactly right. Took it to an authorized dealer to get the band resized. They commented on how nice the watch is. Resized it for free under the warranty. 

I did pay 3000 baht for it but it's absolutely perfect. The place I bought it from also sold me a limited edition tag heuer watch that's absolutely perfect too.  No idea where they get them but the watches are perfect and has lasted over 18 months now without a blemish wearing them everyday. 

• Haha 1

Anyone want a Breitling Navitimer bought brand new thirty eight years ago In Bangkok. It still keeps perfect time, has had two or three new leather straps and people still comment on its appearance. 
It cost less than $A 100 , who needs to pay more, by the way its not a fake, its a reproduction.

11 minutes ago, PattayaKevin said:

I have a grade A fake, got authentication papers, warranty card, a box, bag, serial number on the watch in the appropriate place. Everything on the watch exactly right. Took it to an authorized dealer to get the band resized. They commented on how nice the watch is. Resized it for free under the warranty. 

I did pay 3000 baht for it but it's absolutely perfect. The place I bought it from also sold me a limited edition tag heuer watch that's absolutely perfect too.  No idea where they get them but the watches are perfect and has lasted over 18 months now without a blemish wearing them everyday. 

Post them. I bet they look fake.

• Like 1

Take it to Swatch Group on Wireless near US embassy.

You could also message someone in the Rolex group on timezone.com ask them to verify serial number although some very expensive fakes uses original cases and dials.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, bobandyson said:

It used to be that if you could hear a Rolex ticking when pressed against your ear, it was a fake.

No, you can always hear the movement ticking when pressed against your ear, that goes for every automatic movement in the world. 

The Oysterquarz could even be heard from a few meters away, especially when placed on a table.

1 hour ago, allanos said:

The Rolex movement is "perpetual", and not battery-driven. The "second" hand is a 360-degree sweep type. 

The Oysterquarz is battery driven, and the "second" hand on both the oysterquarz and the Tru-beat don't sweep. Nor on some model specially designed for doctors, but that model is not sought after much. 

1 hour ago, malathione said:

Rolex recommends a service every ten years for its newer models.

No, they recommend a service whenever you are starting to experience problems nowadays. The old recommendation to come in every 5 years has long been losened.

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Is there a visable serial number on rolex watches?  If so, you can probably authenticate the number on the official rolex website.

There is a serial number on them, either between the lugs (old model) or at the bottom of the dail on the inside of the bezel (under the glass). But Rolex does not comfirm if any serial number is authentic. Even if they did, it wouldn't help as someone producing a fake rolex could simply make a thousand watches with the same serial number.

As mentioned before you will need to get the watch checked by an expert. While you can spot a fake Rolex from the outside, you cannot confirm something is a real Rolex without seeing the inside as parts, or a complete movement, can have been replaced. You might also want to get a checkup on the paperwork and box, to make sure this is all real, as this will determine a part of the "value" of the watch. An expert will have to open the watch and check the inside, in case it is an DeepSea Seadweller it cannot be resealed immediately anymore and it will need to be pressure tested in specially made Comex pressure testing chambers in Switzerland. Do expect to be charged for the watch being opened and closed, as the sealing might have to be replaced before closing again to guarantee waterproofness.

You never mentioned which model you are looking at ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Is there a visable serial number on rolex watches?  If so, you can probably authenticate the number on the official rolex website.

No. Watch companies don't do this. In fact, you don't want your serial number public for many reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, they do!  Snide documentation and boxes are as easily available as the watches.   

It's very straightforward to purchase original boxes. Usually not papers but definitely boxes. About b2000.

2 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

ou might also want to get a checkup on

A typical full service overhaul for non chrono starts at 16k.

Rolex despite how plain the watches often are are very expensive to maintain. I can think of a dozen brands I'd rather have.

They do hold value though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

A typical full service overhaul for non chrono starts at 16k.

Rolex despite how plain the watches often are are very expensive to maintain. I can think of a dozen brands I'd rather have.

They do hold value though.

You misqote me tremendously by leaving out the rest of the sentence. This is what i said:

You might also want to get a checkup on the paperwork and box, to make sure this is all real, as this will determine a part of the "value" of the watch. 

An expert does not charge you 16k to see if the box is real.

And I am not recommending OP to just send the watch for a checkup, as it might be 6 months old and a checkup is indeed expensive.