Where can I check if a Rolex is original?

Genix

22 hours ago, Ventenio said:

I think you have to send it to Rolex.  I heard they will NOT send back a fake.  It might need some service anyhow.

tell him you'll pay the 8000 baht or you initially split the service fee.

IF (unlikely, I'm sure they are all fake) it comes back, agree to the sale.

i am against this purchase any other route.  you can't buy a watch and wonder all day, every day......is this think real?

Is the service fee only 8000 Baht? That’s quite cheap in comparison to the 500 Euro you roughly pay in  Europe.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Seadweller it cannot be resealed immediately anymore and it will need to be pressure tested

Same with my SMP but that Rolex is rated crazy deep so I'd expect a need for special equipment only AD service sure.

Any diving watch...if you crack the seal it needs to be tested. I believe it might even need a new gasket each time the case is opened.

I remember 10 years ago buying one of the AAA fake rolex from a watchmaker that used to make them. It cost a fraction of what a new rolex would cost around $250-300usd. Came with box and fake papers but when I was in the USA, my friend who had a real one compared the two and there was no way he was able to tell the difference at all based on appearance and weight. The AAA fakes made by real watchmakers are extremely hard to tell apart from the real ones until you take them apart of course. I would be extremely hesitant of buying any rolex 2nd hand here. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bangkok Basha said:

Where are the used watch dealers in Bangkok, please?

Leng Nalika, Thong Patek, John Belmont at Horology Movement if you prefer someone with an English speaking background, Pixiu Watch and several others. But, caveat emptor still applies in the matter of pricing.

10 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

Rolex despite how plain the watches often are are very expensive to maintain. I can think of a dozen brands I'd rather have.

On TimeZone there was a guy who got an old Patek from his grandfather, servicing it came with a bill of around $25,000 (Patek guarantees they can service any of their watches, no matter how old. In this case they had to find the old design papers in the archive, create tools to be able to make the parts necessary, and then make the parts by hand to fix up the watch). 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Poet said:

Wearing a Rolex is a signal that you come from a poor background but now have some money and are worried that a more subtle expensive watch won't make it clear enough to other people that you have some money.

There is some truth to this. Rolex is popular with restaurant industry.

The movements are rock solid. The Oyster is legend. Divers are awesome but it's definitely not my next watch.

IWC

Glaschutte

Ulysses Nardin

Blancpain

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob12345 said:

On TimeZone there was a guy who got an old Patek from his grandfather, servicing it came with a bill of around $25,000 (Patek guarantees they can service any of their watches, no matter how old. In this case they had to find the old design papers in the archive, create tools to be able to make the parts necessary, and then make the parts by hand to fix up the watch). 

Pateks crazy thin.

Some are nice but I think more a woman's watch.

Great story.

2 minutes ago, theonetrueaussie said:

I remember 10 years ago buying one of the AAA fake rolex from a watchmaker that used to make them. It cost a fraction of what a new rolex would cost around $250-300usd. Came with box and fake papers but when I was in the USA, my friend who had a real one compared the two and there was no way he was able to tell the difference at all based on appearance and weight. The AAA fakes made by real watchmakers are extremely hard to tell apart from the real ones until you take them apart of course. I would be extremely hesitant of buying any rolex 2nd hand here. 

What a waste, the last artisans who make high-quality hand-made watches sell them for thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars and this guy is making fake rolexes himself to sell for 250 usd? He would have to invest tons of money in melters, hydrolic presses, machines to make parts for the movements, machinery for the dails, etc. Spend millions of USD and hours upon hours of his time to make watches he then sells for 250 usd. 

5 minutes ago, theonetrueaussie said:

The watch is very simple and therefore easy to copy. A good copy can run us1500 or more. It's identical because the case and dial are in fact real.

Where's the honor in wearing a lie? Fake watch...fake person. Buy what you can afford.

24 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

No, they recommend a service whenever you are starting to experience problems nowadays. The old recommendation to come in every 5 years has long been losened.

Certainly not! By the time they start having trouble, you'll already have started to damaged the movement. From Rolex: "To guarantee continued accuracy and waterproofness, Rolex recommends that you periodically return your watch to an Official Rolex Retailer or Service Centre for professional servicing. It is recommended to service your Rolex approximately every 10 years depending on the model and real-life usage."

• Thanks 1

I would recommend Expert-Watch (https://www.expert-watch.com) as they offer a watch authentication service (cost 1,000 THB).  They have a number of small shops based in many major malls  within Bangkok where you can get the watch checked/serviced. 

Not sure how the process works.  I assume that the vendor is not going to hand the watch over to you for you to have it checked before you pay for it in full, which could be a bit late if its a fake.  I would presume that you and the vendor will have to arrange to met at one of the shops.  Obviously if the vendor declines, that will be a fair indication that the watch may not be all its made out to be.

FYI - I had my Rolex serviced by the main Rolex service facility located in Wireless Road (Bangkok) a few years ago.  Cost me 34,000 THB.  A few weeks after service it started gaining time (1 minute/day) and after 6 months it just stopped.  Took it back under warranty but afterwards it still kept gaining time.  To cut a long story short, after several return trips to the Rolex service centre it was gaining 3 minute/day and the 2 year warranty had expired so they wanted to charge me for any additional work.  I took the watch to the Expert-Watch shop based in the basement of Central World last year and they fixed it for a reasonable charge.  It is now running like a dream gaining only a few seconds a week.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, PattayaKevin said:

I have a grade A fake, got authentication papers, warranty card, a box, bag, serial number on the watch in the appropriate place. Everything on the watch exactly right. Took it to an authorized dealer to get the band resized. They commented on how nice the watch is. Resized it for free under the warranty. 

I did pay 3000 baht for it but it's absolutely perfect. The place I bought it from also sold me a limited edition tag heuer watch that's absolutely perfect too.  No idea where they get them but the watches are perfect and has lasted over 18 months now without a blemish wearing them everyday. 

A grade A replica Rolex Sub is more like US$ 4-500, not Bt 3k, and no Bt 3k replica will not be absolutely perfect.  Any authorised dealer would instantly spot that the watch was not real, especially if they adjusted the strap.  They may have resized it for you, but they certainly wouldn't have been fooled.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I don't see the appeal of a Rolex. If you wear one, everyone thinks it's a fake, If you convince them it's the real thing, they'll chop your hand off and run. What's the benefit? Isn't it better to have some other exclusive brand that fewer people know?

Maybe you should say, “in Thailand”.  

I have a Rolex and I seldom ever wear it in Thailand, mainly for the reasons you stated. 

My wife could not wrap her head around that concept.  

Then we moved to the US for a few years and I bought her a Rolex and she wore it all the time.  I also wore mine more often.  

Now that we’re living back in Thailand she won’t wear it.  She says the same thing, everybody just thinks you bought a knockoff.  

They both sit in the safe. ???? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, digibum said:

Maybe you should say, “in Thailand”.  

I have a Rolex and I seldom ever wear it in Thailand, mainly for the reasons you stated. 

My wife could not wrap her head around that concept.  

Then we moved to the US for a few years and I bought her a Rolex and she wore it all the time.  I also wore mine more often.  

Now that we’re living back in Thailand she won’t wear it.  She says the same thing, everybody just thinks you bought a knockoff.  

They both sit in the safe. ???? 

You could be right, hence why I've mainly worn a Cartier for the past 15 years.   My wife also has a Cartier Roadster, though it isn't a chronograph (never made ladies versions), and hers is battery powered rather than mechanical.

20210429_173124.jpg

• Like 1

I have a fake. My wife bought it for me from Hong Kong. A Rolex dealer will believe it’s real. 
I mean whenever someone would see you wearing a Rolex might believe it’s a fake. I would only go to a Rolex dealer and buy a new one box credentials all the 9 yards.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

My friends came with a bill of sale, a warranty card and a receipt all from Hong Kong.  The warranty card indicated it was a real Rolix and made in Swizzerland.  Do you think I, I mean my friend was scammed.....

My came with beautiful smile, nice boobs and big back site.

Turned out it wasn't a ROLL-EX girl, it was a BADYLOY

On 4/28/2021 at 5:51 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Take a look at the model online....  search YouTube videos of how to identify fakes of that specific model. 

Of course, it could be a ‘grade A’ fake in which case you may not be able to recognise a fake. 

I find it strange that Rolex will not verify a watch. 

Perhaps ask a Rolex dealer if they will ’service a watch’ which is not a bad idea before you buy anyway. 

Is the seller ok with the Watch being serviced before its sold ?

I’m not surprised that the Rolex shop won’t... I would suspect that they don’t want to open themselves up to any possible legal claims or related issues IF the shop accidentally certifies it as genuine, but later it’s discovered to be a fake. 

I’d also suspect that they don’t want to unnecessarily take a custodial liability claim while it’s in the possession of the shop.

On 4/28/2021 at 6:06 PM, blackcab said:

You can take the watch to the Rolex service centre on Wireless Road in Bangkok.

Get a quote for a service.

If the watch has minor unauthorised parts you will be quoted for their replacement.

If the watch is not genuine they will decline to give you a quote.

You're exactly correct. The Rolex center on Wireless Road in Bangkok is a factory satellite service center. Basically an extension of the factory.

I bought a NOS Rolex Oyster perpetual in BKK and immediately had its validity confirmed by the aforementioned Rolex service center. It was 100% genuine. 1000 baht to thoroughly check the timepiece (this was in year 2007).

Apparently if a Rolex has 3+ non original parts it's deemed as a fake.

I know a thing or two about mechanical watches as I own a Patek Philippe and a Blancpain, amongst others.

3 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

That seems to be the golden answer in this thread. Just meet up there with the seller, split the costs (or pay it all yourself, its peanuts), and have ease of mind.

exactly! ignore all the other guff replies. These are the people to use, i have done so myself  a couple of times. If its still there they have a branch in Central World B floor (underneath Starbucks). Also a good place to get a watch serviced.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mrfill said:

I would imagine it's a separate space. Rolex Salons are all separate and do not carry any used watches nor will they take trade-ins there. The used watches and the other brands they carry can't be in the same store. The same company can own several stores, certainly, one of which might be dedicated to used watches. If not, I stand corrected.

Edited by malathione
clarification