Where can I check if a Rolex is original?

Genix

35 minutes ago, malathione said:

I would imagine it's a separate space. Rolex Salons are all separate and do not carry any used watches nor will they take trade-ins there. The used watches and the other brands they carry can't be in the same store. The same company can own several stores, certainly, one of which might be dedicated to used watches. If not, I stand corrected.

The place I quoted is my local dealer. They have only ever had one shop and have been there since 1834.

No idea if any other dealer has the same set up. The same shop is also an official dealer for Patek Phillipe, Breitling, Omega and TAG Heuer all at the same premises.

22 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I don't see the appeal of a Rolex. If you wear one, everyone thinks it's a fake, If you convince them it's the real thing, they'll chop your hand off and run. What's the benefit? Isn't it better to have some other exclusive brand that fewer people know?

Now to OP's question - ask seller to meet you at Rolex shop at Witthayu, between All Seasons and US Embassy - you can't miss it, huge Rolex logo on the ground floor. Ask them to inspect the watch and warranty papers. As others suggested - a service every year or so is recommended on such watches, so doing that at the time of purchase could give you the answer to your question as well.

I would  agree with your "Now to OP's question" bit except for the  "service every year"  !

My wife  has a solid 18 carat gold cased manual wind Rolex made in 1938 that functions perfectly and  has never been opened ever !

Twenty years  back I  bought 6 genuine  "made in Bali" Rolex modrn auto wind  watches of various presentations.

I gave 5 away as joke gifts at a  value of about $10 dollars each. The one I kept  failed after  2 months and I tossed it.

One friend who I gave one took it to a Jeweler/Watchmaker because it kept  gaining time .

The outcome was that with some small adjustment it functioned well for  may years perfectly despite my friend being given confirmation that although it being a fake was identical  to a genuine with exception of the pivot "jewels" being either metallic or inferior and that it was quite dusty inside suggesting that it had been assembled possibly on a dusty floor in a house somewhere in Asia.

The difference  between the above is in the value of  the metals  given both  achieve the same near redundant function as an 80Bht one from the local market !

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 6:10 PM, Ventenio said:

I think you have to send it to Rolex.  I heard they will NOT send back a fake.  It might need some service anyhow.

tell him you'll pay the 8000 baht or you initially split the service fee.

IF (unlikely, I'm sure they are all fake) it comes back, agree to the sale.

i am against this purchase any other route.  you can't buy a watch and wonder all day, every day......is this think real?

Thats why I stick to my Seiko for 26 years...

On 4/28/2021 at 4:58 PM, tomazbodner said:

I don't see the appeal of a Rolex. If you wear one, everyone thinks it's a fake, If you convince them it's the real thing, they'll chop your hand off and run. What's the benefit? Isn't it better to have some other exclusive brand that fewer people know?

Now to OP's question - ask seller to meet you at Rolex shop at Witthayu, between All Seasons and US Embassy - you can't miss it, huge Rolex logo on the ground floor. Ask them to inspect the watch and warranty papers. As others suggested - a service every year or so is recommended on such watches, so doing that at the time of purchase could give you the answer to your question as well.

There is 3 brands a gentleman should avoid to buy :

1) Mercedes Benz

2) Rolex

3) Ray Ban

3 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

But be careful -  donkeys years ago I had a fake Rolex (bought from a little chap on Sukhumvit Road - it was a sort of right of passage thing the first time you came to Thailand!

The battery stopped after a couple of years. I took it to a rather pretentious jewellers shop in Bath ("House of Tupra" - everything was swathed in purple fabric,  snivelling staff - "what would sir like?"), I handed over the watch and asked for a new battery to be fitted. Chap produced a work top block, laid the watch down on it and then picked up a toffee hammer. I managed to grab the watch and demanded to know what the hell he thought he was doing. He said it was their policy to smash fake watches. I said that I was perfectly aware it was a fake, made no pretence that it was genuine, and that it was my policy to report anyone who pulled that stunt and deliberately smashed my property for criminal damage. A fairly caustic exchange, which drew an interested audience, ended with them asking me to leave their shop and never come in again. I agreed, and suggested to the audience that they may care to leave as well, there was a much better watch repairers further up town whose shop window didn't look like a cross between an Istanbul knocking shop and a Fry's Turkish Delight Commercial!

That got a couple of laughs, the shop manager got redder and redder in the face and threatened to call the police, ( I don't think owning a fake Rolex or taking the <deleted> out of his window display is a criminal offence ) and so I left.

So be careful!

If you take your fake Rolex to Switzerland, it'll cost you 300,000 EUR fine on the spot.

First the price will tell you a lot. Look on the internet how much this model goes for. Plenty sites in Europe selling real makes. Then, take a look at a fake, compare to the one you want to buy. The real ones are usually heavier too. Then get it checked  if you really want it. Be careful tho on traveling through airports if it’s stolen,  the customs can check . 

5 hours ago, mrfill said:

The place I quoted is my local dealer. They have only ever had one shop and have been there since 1834.

No idea if any other dealer has the same set up. The same shop is also an official dealer for Patek Phillipe, Breitling, Omega and TAG Heuer all at the same premises.

I stand corrected in that case. 

I know with the Tag Heuer counterfeits,  the metal wristbands are a bit rougher on the edges and much much lighter.

Actually the whole unit is much lighter than the real thing!

The counterfeits are pretty good for the visual detail i.e. brand name markings and watch face however,  the materials used for the case and wristband are sub-standard.  They'll corrode after a lot of Bangkok sweat. 

12 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

A fairly caustic exchange, which drew an interested audience, ended with them asking me to leave their shop and never come in again. I agreed, and suggested to the audience that they may care to leave as well, there was a much better watch repairers further up town whose shop window didn't look like a cross between an Istanbul knocking shop and a Fry's Turkish Delight Commercial!

That got a couple of laughs, the shop manager got redder and redder in the face and threatened to call the police, ( I don't think owning a fake Rolex or taking the <deleted> out of his window display is a criminal offence ) and so I left.

Interesting to see that the person retelling the story always ends up as the hero in their own story. The guy made a fool out of you, you had some snarky comments that turned the audience around, and it ended up with everybody laughing over your comments and the guy feeling ashamed and almost running away with his tail between his legs.

How convenient... did you drive by later in your Bentley telling him that if he would have helped you, you would have bought all his most expensive watches and he would have made a fortune... but now you wont? And he cried his eyes out but learned a good lesson which made him a better man? You are like a modern Jesus, only much more humble.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

If you take your fake Rolex to Switzerland, it'll cost you 300,000 EUR fine on the spot.

I have been thinking about that.

Do you really mean that if I pole up at Geneva Airport wearing my 20 year old fake Rolex ( I've still got it in a drawer somewhere ) I could be fined 300,000 Euros?

I could understand it if I was caught with a suitcase full of the things, but really?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Interesting to see that the person retelling the story always ends up as the hero in their own story. The guy made a fool out of you, you had some snarky comments that turned the audience around, and it ended up with everybody laughing over your comments and the guy feeling ashamed and almost running away with his tail between his legs.

How convenient... did you drive by later in your Bentley telling him that if he would have helped you, you would have bought all his most expensive watches and he would have made a fortune... but now you wont? And he cried his eyes out but learned a good lesson which made him a better man? You are like a modern Jesus, only much more humble.

What a remarkable comment! Something has obviously upset you!

It was exactly as I described, he didn't make a fool of me, if anything he rather made a fool of himself by creating the scene and threatening to call the police; nobody ran away with their tail between their legs.

Incidentally, I didn't have a Bentley, at that time it was either a Fiat Uno with a blowing head gasket ( not good on the hills in Bath) or a Renault 5 (smashing little car that was), I can't remember which.

By the way, leave out the " Jesus allusions" if you don't mind - I am a Catholic and find them rather offensive.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

I gave 5 away as joke gifts at a  value of about $10 dollars each.  (...) despite my friend being given confirmation that although it being a fake was identical  to a genuine with exception of (...)

If a watchmaker cannot find more obvious differences between a real Rolex and a $10 fake then i would strongly suggest never visiting a blind watchmaker again.

Why do topics about Rolex watches always end up with the "I bought a fake for $xx and even high-end watch dealers thought it was real", while nobody in real life with any knowledge of watches has ever seen a "near-perfect" fake one, especially not one being sold for less than hundreds of dollars? Its like going to commercials gyms for years and never seeing anyone benchpress over 225lbs, while online it seems like nobody benchpresses less than 500lbs.

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

What a remarkable comment! Something has obviously upset you!

It was exactly as I described, he didn't make a fool of me, if anything he rather made a fool of himself by creating the scene and threatening to call the police; nobody ran away with their tail between their legs.

Incidentally, I didn't have a Bentley, at that time it was either a Fiat Uno with a blowing head gasket ( not good on the hills in Bath) or a Renault 5 (smashing little car that was), I can't remember which.

By the way, leave out the " Jesus allusions" if you don't mind - I am a Catholic and find them rather offensive.

While you were so good on your feet there putting the guy in his place, i would have expected a better reply here now you have time to formulate a complete response and put me in place like never before. The fact that you didn't proves my point...

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bob12345 said:

While you were so good on your feet there putting the guy in his place, i would have expected a better reply here now you have time to formulate a complete response and put me in place like never before. The fact that you didn't proves my point...

Why are you so determined to pick a fight?

If you have for some reason taken a strong dislike to me ( although our paths have never crossed) simply put me on ignore - problem sorted.

• Like 1

Just now, herfiehandbag said:

Why are you so determined to pick a fight?

If you have for some reason taken a strong dislike to me ( although our paths have never crossed) simply put me on ignore - problem sorted.

I have no problems with you, lets just leave it here and be done with it.

On 4/28/2021 at 6:06 PM, blackcab said:

You can take the watch to the Rolex service centre on Wireless Road in Bangkok.

Get a quote for a service.

If the watch has minor unauthorised parts you will be quoted for their replacement.

If the watch is not genuine they will decline to give you a quote.

I bought a Rolex on my first visit to LoS in 2004 , I took it to one of those places that sold watches and straps in Plymouth ( Can't remember the name )on entry to super markets as the strap was falling apart .  I said to the chap " Can I have a new strap for my Rolex ? "

He said ' If I send this to Rolex it will come back smashed , it is a fake .'

A FAKE said I , Damn , I paid 10 quid fot it !

Though it prob won't help you with authentication, check out ArchieLuxury on YT. Eccentric, entertaining Aussie bloke. Rolex enthusiast. Former Soi Nana resident. Heh.

A more serious Rolex channel is Austin Daniels. He lives in Japan and often checks out all the different shops there, ADs and second hand, knows his stuff about the various models and pricing.

23 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

What a waste, the last artisans who make high-quality hand-made watches sell them for thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars and this guy is making fake rolexes himself to sell for 250 usd? He would have to invest tons of money in melters, hydrolic presses, machines to make parts for the movements, machinery for the dails, etc. Spend millions of USD and hours upon hours of his time to make watches he then sells for 250 usd. 

With the amount of orders these guys are doing they would be making Millions of USD a year EASILY! There used to be and probably still is entire forums dedicated to 3-4 of the top watchmakers that sell fakes online and they are making an absolute fortune doing so. sometimes the waitlists were as long as 8-10 months.....Shows just how much business they were getting!

7 hours ago, kynikoi said:

Seamaster Pro

Swatch Group essentially owns the entire industry.

While it’s true that they own quite a few brands they’re far from owning the entire industry. Here’s a complete list of the brands they own:

Balmain

Blancpain

Breguet

Ck Calvin Klein watches and jewelry

Certina

Endura

ETA

Flik Flak

Glashütte Original

Hamilton

Harry Winston

Jaquet Droz

Léon Hatot

Longines

Mido

Omega

Rado

Swatch

Swiss Timing

Tissot

Horologically speaking the only brands on this list that I know are truly “of note” are Blancpain, Breguet, Glashütte Original, Harry Winston and Omega and to a lesser degree Certina, Longiness and Hamilton. Although there’s quite a few brands on the list I’ve never heard of, so I can’t say anything about them. CK is definitely a fashion watch and I never cared for Swatch because they’re not serviceable. Rado is only known for they’re ceramic watches which are quite popular in Asia, but not so much in the western world anymore, they had their heyday in the 80s and 90s there, and there’s this one model in gold with that really unusual oval case shape that’s very popular in Thailand amongst men of a certain age. Don’t know what it’s called, though. And of course they own ETA, one of the most renowned movement manufacturers. 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2021 at 9:58 PM, tomazbodner said:

That's because it's primarily an investment vehicle and not something to tell the time.

It's like my Veyron but I don't use it to go shopping at Big C.

My other car's a Seiko.

Edited by NanLaew

On 4/29/2021 at 4:18 PM, PattayaKevin said:

I have a grade A fake, ... Took it to an authorized dealer to get the band resized. They commented on how nice the watch is.

Yeah, right, why would a Rolex AD comment on "how nice" a Rolex model that they sell all the time is?