Marijuana farm in Buriram?

1 hour ago, Spood said:

I have friends that have farms in Europe and spent a year in Thailand with high profile people going through the system to get a license . They become disillusioned in the end 

Finally someone that shares my opinion.

No one has a crystal ball to predict the future, but my bet for cannabis in Thailand is that more or less CP is going to be involved in it.

Which might only have one positive thing, if and when cannabis is sold OTC, you can buy it at any 7-11 ????

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2021 at 11:35 AM, CLW said:

Sorry to burst your dreams.

You won't get a permission any time soon unless you have the right connections and a lot of money.

This was always about deregulating cannabis so that a few connected individuals could legally grow and process the plant.
Although lip service (lies) were paid to allowing the commoners to grow and sell the plant to processers, it's all essentially bunk.  "Try growing cannabis commoner and it's Jail For You!"  You'll hit the same bureaucratic red-tape as non-Thai vaccine manufacturers and for the exact same reasons.  Monopolies loath competition.
But - change my mind.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2021 at 1:01 PM, bermondburi said:

We would have permission. It's through the tambon administration. Not everyone is going to be allowed to do it.

So you're connected unlike most of the peasant farmers and commoners who will not be allowed to grow it?  Right? 
We had a saying in the military that is applicable here.
"It's not what you know, but who you ****."

WIth a good set of golden kneepads and enough brown envelop money, suddenly one is an approved grower.  ????

TIT - Welcome to Thailand.

Edited by connda

1 hour ago, bshw4kr said:

Your biggest concern should be how to avoid waking up to a gun in your face.

You're way to free with the info. Unseen, unheard, is the mantra.

It would be a legal project. Everyone in the village and surrounding area would know about it anyway. If I'm understanding things correctly it would be a community project run as an example to other villages.

Not disputing the gun in the face part of what you're saying btw. 

Plenty of people growing their own illegally up in that area anyway. It's really taken off the past couple of years. 

I've noticed a lot of the villagers use the leaves for cooking. Or boiling for tea.

38 minutes ago, connda said:

So you're connected unlike most of the peasant farmers and commoners who will not be allowed to grow it?  Right? 
We had a saying in the military that is applicable here.
"It's not what you know, but who you ****."

WIth a good set of golden kneepads and enough brown envelop money, suddenly one is an approved grower.  ????

TIT - Welcome to Thailand.

Sad but true. This is how people recoup the money they give out in the local elections.

5 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

Why even get involved?  Time wise or money wise. Set back and watch them succeed or fail. I whole lot less stressful that way. 

That's a good question. I'd like to think it might be a good opportunity for the family. I may be wrong.

Anyways time wise I wouldn't be. I'm based in the Middle East.

And money wise, going on the figure that was mentioned I could afford to lose it and it wouldn't bother me.

So I wouldn't really have any stress about it as such.

On 4/29/2021 at 11:35 AM, CLW said:

Sorry to burst your dreams.

You won't get a permission any time soon unless you have the right connections and a lot of money. Haters gonna hate but you have been warned. 

I thought the same thing. The OP seems to have good connections. 

I want to hear when he gets approved. I suspect he will have an interesting story. 

I'm not trying to be negative, but things hard to believe are usually not true. 

So much of what I hear from the government turns out to be just smoke and mirrors. 

Even if he can grow it I suspect the return will be very poor. 

I think sometimes I've lived too long to not be cynical. I wish him luck. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, connda said:

This was always about deregulating cannabis so that a few connected individuals could legally grow and process the plant.
Although lip service (lies) were paid to allowing the commoners to grow and sell the plant to processers, it's all essentially bunk.  "Try growing cannabis commoner and it's Jail For You!"  You'll hit the same bureaucratic red-tape as non-Thai vaccine manufacturers and for the exact same reasons.  Monopolies loath competition.
But - change my mind.

Craft beer just came to my mind. The law is simply ridiculous and so sad for the 21st century.

We have a CBD-hemp farm here.

It's not 'marijuana' in any sense that most farangs would understand.

And the regulations are extensive.

The fact that you are requesting info here indicates that you may be in the early stages of a pipedream.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, blackprince said:

The fact that you are requesting info here indicates that you may be in the early stages of a pipedream.

Totally agree especially regarding THC . I’m sorry then that becomes a whole different ball game . Thailand is becoming more receptive to the medicinal Hemp/CBD and is being introduced slowly into the Thai system . I would love to know more about your project Black Prince as it is an industry I have involment With in the U.K 

On 5/4/2021 at 11:49 PM, bermondburi said:

It would be a legal project. Everyone in the village and surrounding area would know about it anyway. If I'm understanding things correctly it would be a community project run as an example to other villages.

Not disputing the gun in the face part of what you're saying btw. 

Plenty of people growing their own illegally up in that area anyway. It's really taken off the past couple of years. 

I've noticed a lot of the villagers use the leaves for cooking. Or boiling for tea.

I'm envious. If I come back to Thailand, I'll have to play find-a-farmer.  Maybe offer a growing tip, in the name of science.

23 hours ago, blackprince said:

Indeed, I have a pending job offer at a huge stock listed pharmaceutical company that wants to grow and extract hemp.

Yet they are waiting since ages for all the required permissions etc. And they have lawyers and consultants etc. that follow up every step with the ministry / authorities. Now you can imagine it's almost impossible (at least currently) for a small farmer to get a license anytime soon.

2 hours ago, Spood said:

Totally agree especially regarding THC . I’m sorry then that becomes a whole different ball game . Thailand is becoming more receptive to the medicinal Hemp/CBD and is being introduced slowly into the Thai system . I would love to know more about your project Black Prince as it is an industry I have involment With in the U.K 

I'm glad there are at least some members who understand the difference between CBD and THC, and the corresponding plant varieties. I haven't checked all the posts, but as far as I know you and I are the first ones that have mentioned it.

90%  of the responses to this kind of topic are bound to be for the wrong reasons, and the usual smattering of people that don't seem to be aware of the issues around illegal drug use here, and how serious it would be, especially for foreigners.

Re your request for further info, I'm not trying to be coy, but anyone seriously interested in entering this field (no pun intended) here will find that the relevant authorities have an effective authorisation and screening programme in place. It's not something the authorities would even consider as an option for farangs, not least of all because of the laws around protected jobs and also the laws protecting Thai land from being owned by foreigners.

Numerous hospitals are involved with various trials around the country, but the end-to-end processes are not yet finalised, or at least weren't when I last checked.

Re the UK, the last time I looked the UK hadn't legalised medicinal CBD use and hasn't licensed any domestic production, and families who need it for example for seriously autistic kids are forced to obtain it on the black market, at least since Brexit. My knowledge of what's happening in the UK is a bit out of date, so I could be wrong.

13 minutes ago, CLW said:

Indeed, I have a pending job offer at a huge stock listed pharmaceutical company that wants to grow and extract hemp.

Yet they are waiting since ages for all the required permissions etc. And they have lawyers and consultants etc. that follow up every step with the ministry / authorities. Now you can imagine it's almost impossible (at least currently) for a small farmer to get a license anytime soon.

The Thai government has no interest in giving this market to "huge stock listed pharmaceutical companies", as you'd know if you were any wise involved. But good luck with the job application.

Edited by blackprince

4 hours ago, blackprince said:

The Thai government has no interest in giving this market to "huge stock listed pharmaceutical companies", as you'd know if you were any wise involved. But good luck with the job application.

Thank you. But talk to some consultants or anyone seriously involved in this business and they will tell you that CP, Betagro and other big names have made their preparations already. 

12 hours ago, CLW said:

Thank you. But talk to some consultants or anyone seriously involved in this business and they will tell you that CP, Betagro and other big names have made their preparations already. 

I am speaking from specific experience of this industry in Thailand, rather than hearsay, and am aware of how the supply and distribution chains for this business have been organised by the Thai govt. 

For your information, Betagro and CP are not  "huge stock listed pharmaceutical companies".

PS I am a former management  consultant with one of the largest consultancy firms worldwide, not that that has anything to do with my involvement in this project.

Have a nice day.

On 5/5/2021 at 4:06 PM, blackprince said:

Are you allowed to share any details of your farm?

Hemp-CBD farms have been approved in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Tak, Nan, Mae Hong Son and Petchabun, the last I looked.

On 5/7/2021 at 8:27 AM, blackprince said:

I am speaking from specific experience of this industry in Thailand, rather than hearsay, and am aware of how the supply and distribution chains for this business have been organised by the Thai govt. 

For your information, Betagro and CP are not  "huge stock listed pharmaceutical companies".

PS I am a former management  consultant with one of the largest consultancy firms worldwide, not that that has anything to do with my involvement in this project.

Have a nice day.

Do your research, then we can talk again. You obviously know nothing about the involvement of these two companies in almost every aspect of food, agro-industry, pharmaceutical (human/animals) or pesticides/fertiliser.

Have a good day!

59 minutes ago, CLW said:

Do your research, then we can talk again. You obviously know nothing about the involvement of these two companies in almost every aspect of food, agro-industry, pharmaceutical (human/animals) or pesticides/fertiliser.

Have a good day!

I understand you're miffed about something, but all I said about these 2 companies is that they are not "huge stock listed pharmaceutical companies". Which is self-evidently true.

I have been involved with this programme since before it actually started, which is well over year now.

Edited by blackprince

22 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Are you allowed to share any details of your farm?

Hemp-CBD farms have been approved in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Tak, Nan, Mae Hong Son and Petchabun, the last I looked.

As you ask nicely ????

Naturally, I could share any details of the farm that I choose to, but I'm not sure how it would help readers here, many of whom seem oblivious to the basics - such as the difference between THC and CBD plant variants. Here are some key points or comments:

The title of the thread is a misnomer. This is a government medicinal CBD programme - not a "marijuana farm" programme - it bears no relation to what's happening in California for example.

The approved varieties will not get you "high".

We were in the first batch of approved and licensed growers; the family has been farming for generations, long before I arrived in Thailand.

There have been delays to the programme due to the weather - the perennial problem that farmers face - and Covid.

The first retail medicines will possibly be available next year (don't quote me on that!).

The industry structure is something similar to the rice industry in the main - growers, refiners, wholesalers, and retailers; there may be some limited vertical integration (excuse the management consultancy speak) but not much. Some universities and hospitals are also involved, and govt departments of course.

From the farming perspective there is no difference between this crop and any other, apart from the fact that it is heavily and effectively regulated.

Finally I would add that Thai authorities for hundreds of years have been extremely effective in limiting foreign interference in Thailand, and this market is no exception.

I hope this helps, have a good day.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, blackprince said:

I hope this helps, have a good day.

Thanks.

Are you actually growing anything now?

If so, outdoors, correct?

Did the goverenment give you seeds, seedlings?

Which CBD strain(s) are you growing?

Do the relevant authorites inspect your operation often?

And you'll turn over a harvest to? The partner hospital? 

And the harvest will processed into what?

GPO produces a CBD and 1:1 oil.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 5:36 PM, djayz said:

1. Make sure there is good fencing all around the land.

2. Where are you going to get the water from? Mains? Well? Canal? How reliable is that water resource? 

3. Who's the boss/running the show? Personally, I never do business with friends or family. Things can (often do) get complicated, which can make things awkward. 

4. Don't invest more than you can afford to lose.

Good luck and keep us posted. I for one would be interested in knowing more. 

Good advise.  Especially #4. 

It may be more risky than you think. Plant diseases are showing up that may not be entirely predictable or preventable. 

Put this in your pipe and smoke it: 

https://www.medicinalgenomics.com/applications/hop-latent-viroid-in-cannabis/

"...the viroid creates dud cannabis plants and often doesn’t show itself until the end of the growing process. For growers, Roach says this means a lot of money is wasted on the cultivation of impotent crops."https://www.montereycountyweekly.com/news/local_news/cannabis-plants-in-monterey-county-are-dying-resulting-in-millions-of-dollars-in-damage/article_1d65f11c-be69-11eb-9db5-b784138d919c.html

This disease is not in Thailand as far as I know, - yet.

But will you be ready for the possibilities of insect pests, molds, mites, viruses, and viroids, including powdery mildew, botrytis, russet mites, fusarium, hops latent viroid, and lettuce chlorosis virus ?

I hate to be pessimistic, but in my opinion there are problems with the way cannabis is grown, whether for health or a high.

In spite of all the experts, sophisticated genetics, intensive management and product inputs, there are factors with basic growing conditions, soil and water management that can predispose the plants to pest and disease issues: 

Strains that are developed for marketable properties, but maybe without enough attention to disease resistance.

Intensive, closely spaced mono-cropping where pests and pathogens can run rampant, forced vegetative growth and flowering that weakens resistance, porous container substrates with low nutrient holding capacity, copious watering and leaching of nutrients, little or no mature beneficial soil biology. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, thweshfoyo said:

Anybody knows where to by rosin ? it's so trendy in US now !

Good luck, Thais don't even know ice pollen or hashish.

You could make with straightening iron / baking parchment method but given the high price of quality cannabis it's a waste imo.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 11:43 AM, BritManToo said:

That's not entirely accurate, when a female plant gets big enough in Thailand, it will flower no matter what the light conditions. Although sometimes you end up with a plant that's a bit bigger than you really wanted. A friend of mine tried it, started in January, flowered in March, harvested in June.

Auto-flowers are not worthwhile in commercial grows, not a big enough crop.

So a friend tells me.

My friend grows a couple autos indoors and they work fine. He says 2-3 plants produce enough for his personal medication. No need to get over priced <deleted> from moto drivers, so he says...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jaideedave said:

My friend grows a couple autos indoors and they work fine. He says 2-3 plants produce enough for his personal medication. No need to get over priced <deleted> from moto drivers, so he says...

Autos are the way for hobby growers here, but not for commercial or semi-commercial operations since you always need to buy new seeds which over the time gets expensive.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 2:01 AM, CLW said:

Autos are the way for hobby growers here, but not for commercial or semi-commercial operations since you always need to buy new seeds which over the time gets expensive.

Seeds should be considered over vegetative propagation which is a primary means of disease transmission.

I just had a discussion with a master plant pathologist who is doing research on cannabis diseases and the hop latent viroid specifically; he emphasized that poor sanitation and vegetative introductions are the primary modes of transmission. So far an insect vector has not been identified. 

Other hazards exist that fencing the property won't prevent:

drone-assist pollen drops executed by competitors, activists or neighboing farmers protecting water resources from the heavily irrigated grows. Adios sinsemilla.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1