Thai Visa Forum

1 hour ago, Spood said:

I have friends that have farms in Europe and spent a year in Thailand with high profile people going through the system to get a license . They become disillusioned in the end 

Finally someone that shares my opinion.

No one has a crystal ball to predict the future, but my bet for cannabis in Thailand is that more or less CP is going to be involved in it.

Which might only have one positive thing, if and when cannabis is sold OTC, you can buy it at any 7-11 🤣

• Haha 1
On 4/29/2021 at 11:35 AM, CLW said:

Sorry to burst your dreams.

You won't get a permission any time soon unless you have the right connections and a lot of money.

This was always about deregulating cannabis so that a few connected individuals could legally grow and process the plant.
Although lip service (lies) were paid to allowing the commoners to grow and sell the plant to processers, it's all essentially bunk.  "Try growing cannabis commoner and it's Jail For You!"  You'll hit the same bureaucratic red-tape as non-Thai vaccine manufacturers and for the exact same reasons.  Monopolies loath competition.
But - change my mind.

• Like 2
On 4/29/2021 at 1:01 PM, bermondburi said:

We would have permission. It's through the tambon administration. Not everyone is going to be allowed to do it.

So you're connected unlike most of the peasant farmers and commoners who will not be allowed to grow it?  Right? 
We had a saying in the military that is applicable here.
"It's not what you know, but who you ****."

WIth a good set of golden kneepads and enough brown envelop money, suddenly one is an approved grower.  😉

TIT - Welcome to Thailand.

Edited by connda
1 hour ago, bshw4kr said:

Your biggest concern should be how to avoid waking up to a gun in your face.

You're way to free with the info. Unseen, unheard, is the mantra.

It would be a legal project. Everyone in the village and surrounding area would know about it anyway. If I'm understanding things correctly it would be a community project run as an example to other villages.

Not disputing the gun in the face part of what you're saying btw. 

Plenty of people growing their own illegally up in that area anyway. It's really taken off the past couple of years. 

I've noticed a lot of the villagers use the leaves for cooking. Or boiling for tea.

38 minutes ago, connda said:

So you're connected unlike most of the peasant farmers and commoners who will not be allowed to grow it?  Right? 
We had a saying in the military that is applicable here.
"It's not what you know, but who you ****."

WIth a good set of golden kneepads and enough brown envelop money, suddenly one is an approved grower.  😉

TIT - Welcome to Thailand.

Sad but true. This is how people recoup the money they give out in the local elections.

5 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

Why even get involved?  Time wise or money wise. Set back and watch them succeed or fail. I whole lot less stressful that way. 

That's a good question. I'd like to think it might be a good opportunity for the family. I may be wrong.

Anyways time wise I wouldn't be. I'm based in the Middle East.

And money wise, going on the figure that was mentioned I could afford to lose it and it wouldn't bother me.

So I wouldn't really have any stress about it as such.

On 4/29/2021 at 11:35 AM, CLW said:

Sorry to burst your dreams.

You won't get a permission any time soon unless you have the right connections and a lot of money. Haters gonna hate but you have been warned. 

I thought the same thing. The OP seems to have good connections. 

I want to hear when he gets approved. I suspect he will have an interesting story. 

I'm not trying to be negative, but things hard to believe are usually not true. 

So much of what I hear from the government turns out to be just smoke and mirrors. 

Even if he can grow it I suspect the return will be very poor. 

I think sometimes I've lived too long to not be cynical. I wish him luck. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, connda said:

This was always about deregulating cannabis so that a few connected individuals could legally grow and process the plant.
Although lip service (lies) were paid to allowing the commoners to grow and sell the plant to processers, it's all essentially bunk.  "Try growing cannabis commoner and it's Jail For You!"  You'll hit the same bureaucratic red-tape as non-Thai vaccine manufacturers and for the exact same reasons.  Monopolies loath competition.
But - change my mind.

Craft beer just came to my mind. The law is simply ridiculous and so sad for the 21st century.

We have a CBD-hemp farm here.

It's not 'marijuana' in any sense that most farangs would understand.

And the regulations are extensive.

The fact that you are requesting info here indicates that you may be in the early stages of a pipedream.