heads up on driver license renewal

twozeds

18 minutes ago, inThailand said:

It must be his gf fleecing falangs for beer money, so the price is a secret. 

No. She's a professional, one of the best I've seen, and it's always recommended that one deal directly with the agent.

Not sure if this is still possible but when I did my second 5 year renewal last July-at that point things were just reopening-the local DLT gave me a link to watch the 1-hour training video online at home. While watching it, 3 multiple choice questions come up on the screen, which you have to answer (very general questions and all based on things the presenter said). Yes, it’s all in Thai, but if your Thai isn’t good enough, just get any Thai speaker to watch it with you and answer the questions-very easy and no need to pay or go sit at the DLT. Just have the Thai person follow the prompts to sign in and then complete the process to get the certificate of completion.

Also, when signing in they ask you for a 13 digit ID number as well as your DL number. I added some 0’s to my passport number to get to the 13 digits and the system accepted it. 

Finally, don’t pause the video as it’s running. I did the first time and then had to start again from the beginning. The questions that appear on the screen will stay there for long enough that you don’t need to pause.

I no longer have the link but have a Thai speaker call the DLT and ask for it.

On 4/29/2021 at 4:31 AM, Peterw42 said:

OP, You appear to have possibly misunderstood the process.

I renewed 2 x 5years licenses a couple off weeks ago in Pattaya.

Just to clear up a couple of things. You cant make an online appointment as that is only for Thais with an id card, Book an appointment with Thai ID and you have an appointment to be processed, tested etc with a bunch of Thais, in Thai. You can make an appointment for a foreigner group with the lady at the top of the stairs, .

It appears you queued up to have documents checked and make an appointment. (as your Thai appointment didn't mean anything)  I believe you cannot just turn up and queue to do license renewal. If the lady said July appointment, that is your appointment for license renewal.

At The DLT there are two things you do, reflex/vision test and watch a video, test and video one time only to cover two licenses. I wouldn't bother with a driving school if they want you to do test or video 2 times. just do the test/video once at the DLT.

I cant understand why they have sent you down the road to do this, as it wont get you any closer to license renewal at the moment.

You appear not to realise the DLT is not doing license renewals at the moment, if you turn up next week, the same will happen, queue to see the lady upstairs, they will tell you to come back in July. 

Medical cert, driving school certificate etc will probably be out of date in july.

strange I thought that they were not allowed to have more than 20 people in any gathering yet if you go to renew heaps and heaps of people there all crammed in together so I said f this I wait  till a vaccine comes out for us oldies. I am surprised they are all still opened

31 minutes ago, whiteman said:

strange I thought that they were not allowed to have more than 20 people in any gathering yet if you go to renew heaps and heaps of people there all crammed in together so I said f this I wait  till a vaccine comes out for us oldies. I am surprised they are all still opened

There are lots of anomalies - public transport is still open, so are shopping malls and many workplaces, including Immigration. 

• Sad 1