Covid 19 vaccinations - shameful response by UK Government

Adelphi

Adelphi, when you say that all of those who work in the UK Embassy in Bangkok have been vaccinated as well as the employees of the British Council, do you mean UK-based staff only (those sent out from UK to work) or do you mean all staff including locally - employed Thai staff ? 

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

An equal and opposite reaction is why should the UK government collect tax from us yet give us nothing in return, but a freeze on our state pension, which is a RIGHT and NOT a benefit.

We do not live in the UK anymore....we chose to live here and accept the consequences...we knew all this before we left.......

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Tony M said:

Adelphi, when you say that all of those who work in the UK Embassy in Bangkok have been vaccinated as well as the employees of the British Council, do you mean UK-based staff only (those sent out from UK to work) or do you mean all staff including locally - employed Thai staff ? 

Sorry Tony I don't know if Thai staff have also been vaccinated.  I would guess yes as they would have a rather grumpy and resentful Thai staff group if they were excluded.   

• Like 2

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

So many people are of the assumption that the overseas missions of any country are to support the people of that country. This is not true, ensuring the wellbeing of its citizens is not the primary mission of overseas Embassies. Consular services are offered as a supplementary service. 

How would the British Embassy get 200,000 does of vaccine into Thailand? (for expats and their children who are also British Citizens)

How many British Citizens would then complain that their Wives cannot get the vaccine because they are not British. 

I have been offered the vaccine in my home country. It is my choice to remain in Thailand. I could go back to the UK and get the Vaccine (The UK is now vaccinating people in the the 40-50 age bracket).

Some people believe they should be spoon-fed by their Embassy then get upset when they don’t receive the ’service’ they mistakenly believe they should. 

Embassy Staffers and Employee’s of the British Council and their family have received the vaccine - this is because they work for the British Government overseas, i.e. were ’sent’ overseas by the British Government, they still pay British Taxes. 

I have no complaints that ‘others’ can get their vaccine while I can’t - someone has to be at the front of the queue. I also recognise the horrific optics of the British Embassy bringing in 200,000 doses of vaccine.

Which one? how many will start complaining that they wanted Pfiezer not AZ or Moderna etc

What of the Optic inside Thailand that the British are looking after their own while not assisting the Thai’s?

It's far better for the British Embassy officers to work with the Thai Government and ensure that all its citizens will have equal access to the vaccines alongside their Thai neighbours. 

I have registered for the vaccine alongside my wife - when she can take the vaccine so can I. 

Alternatively I can travel to the UK, stay there for a month and have the vaccine there.  

I am quite happy to be included in the Thailand vaccine rollout program, but when I contacted my local government hospital I was told, as a foreigner, I cannot register. How did you manage to register for the vaccine program?

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 9:19 AM, Pilotman said:

utter nonsense, as my post following says. I am only here for another 6 weeks, unless the Thai immigration grant me a further 12 months, at their discretion. 

And how long have you been doing these "12 month extensions"....when was the last time you were in the UK for an extended stay and do you have a property there paying council tax on it.....we knew what we signed up for when we moved here...right or wrong the UK Governments ruling on Thailand as opposed to how they have agreements with other countries,if it bothers you so much move to one of these countries.

Saying the UK should pay for our Covid jabs when we are effectively living here is absolute rubbish and if your having difficulty stumping up the cost for the jab I,ll start a Go Fund Me for all the disgruntled UK expats here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

On 4/29/2021 at 11:55 AM, Tony M said:

Yes, Thai staff working for the British Council (in Bangkok, anyway) have had a first AZ shot and will get their 2nd soon.  Courtesy of the UK tax payers.

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, Thai staff working for the British Council (in Bangkok, anyway) have had a first AZ shot and will get their 2nd soon.  Courtesy of the UK tax payers.

Well that certainly highlights what they think of UK nationals in Thailand doesn't it ? I wonder, have the Thais working in the Thai Embassy in London been vaccinated courtesy of the British Government ?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, petermik said:

And how long have you been doing these "12 month extensions"....when was the last time you were in the UK for an extended stay and do you have a property there paying council tax on it.....we knew what we signed up for when we moved here...right or wrong the UK Governments ruling on Thailand as opposed to how they have agreements with other countries,if it bothers you so much move to one of these countries.

Saying the UK should pay for our Covid jabs when we are effectively living here is absolute rubbish and if your having difficulty stumping up the cost for the jab I,ll start a Go Fund Me for all the disgruntled UK expats here.

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I actually wrote a reply answering your biased and ignorant attitude, but to be honest, I just couldn't  be bothered to post it.  

I expect it`s because you don`t have a logical comment to dispute my reply.....I repeat again....WE are living HERE and it,s our own personal well being to look after ourselves....not the UK Government....next thing folk will be asking for is their prescriptions to be free also as per the UK.

Get over it....if you cannot afford the jabs you should not be living here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, Excel said:

Well that certainly highlights what they think of UK nationals in Thailand doesn't it ? I wonder, have the Thais working in the Thai Embassy in London been vaccinated courtesy of the British Government ?

I don`t give a monkeys about what the UK Government thinks about me living here...it was my choice...what they do with folk living and working in the UK does not concern me...good luck to them for whatever they get....anyone not satisfied here and feel they will be better off back home fine....book you flight tickets.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

How do you pay for something you can't access here? . My last comment to you; I actually said that we UK expats would pay for it, if the Embassy arranged to get supplies to us.  It would be very helpful if you actually read other people's posts before you sounded off.  

Why should the Embassy be bailing us out....if you want the jab get it as soon as it becomes available...don,t rely on anyone else....if we fall ill here do you contact the Embassy or go see a doctor yourself.....Gordon bloody Bennett do we need wet nursing now.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

7 hours ago, Excel said:

Actually we were not asking you nor  requesting such inane comments, but anyway take care of yourself, stay safe.

Thank you...it beggars belief with me folk knocking what the UK Government should be doing when we are not living there...WE are in Thailand,for better or worse.

Have a nice and safe day yourself young man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Excel said:

If they live in the UK, then yes of course, as they can use the NHS (and pay a surcharge to do so, unless they are already UK citizens).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

Well done. I was waiting for that comment.

OK, I will return to the UK, where the government will increase my pension.

It will also cost them when I start to use the NHS, when they have to pay for my accommodation  as I have no house there, I shall also expect free or subsidised spectacles, a free bus pass and all the other things that the government and local government provide.

I shall screw them for every penny I can get from them including free covid inoculations.

Just think how much extra it will cost the UK government if I do that.

Far more than simply upgrading my state pension.

Of course this is dependent upon you personally supporting my Thai family to the same standard that I support them.

Is that a fair deal or not?

Of course I could take my wife and dual nationality son with me but that would cost the UK government even more money.

If you feel you will be better off back in the UK by all means return,do not worry about the cost to the economy you are a Brit and entitled to it and if you take your family also good luck to them I hope they can adapt to the climate.

I,ve lived here 7 years and apart from my pension each month I expect nothing more from the government..they did not deport me I came of my own free will and I have no intentions of moaning or complaining about what they should or should not be doing for me while living here as I,m man enough to stand on my own two feet.

If you do decide to return and fancy living in the Greater Manchester area I have a nice 3 bed semi detached house there and could offer it to you for rental at a very favourable price.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, petermik said:

If you feel you will be better off back in the UK by all means return,do not worry about the cost to the economy you are a Brit and entitled to it and if you take your family also good luck to them I hope they can adapt to the climate.

I,ve lived here 7 years and apart from my pension each month I expect nothing more from the government..they did not deport me I came of my own free will and I have no intentions of moaning or complaining about what they should or should not be doing for me while living here as I,m man enough to stand on my own two feet.

If you do decide to return and fancy living in the Greater Manchester area I have a nice 3 bed semi detached house there and could offer it to you for rental at a very favourable price.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

From Manchester eh, well that explains a lot of things. 

p.s. that's not meant to be amusing. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/29/2021 at 12:41 PM, billd766 said:

An equal and opposite reaction is why should the UK government collect tax from us yet give us nothing in return, but a freeze on our state pension, which is a RIGHT and NOT a benefit.

Sure..I paid national insurance for 44 years..i have no children and my pension has been frozen at the sum I first received...I also pay 'income tax'.yet I live here.

• Like 2