Expats in Thailand to receive COVID-19 vaccinations free of charge

Jonathan Fairfield

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

'Ain’t nothing'... Double negative, everything is for free then?

1000% - One thousand percent?

I get your point, they couldn’t give the Sinovac vaccine to you !!! ????

Your reply is so funny I forgot to laugh.

7 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

You are deliberately misrepresenting the value of these reports to people who want to study the facts and you are cherry picking one laughable (to you) example of a reaction to the drug. Everyone who is considering taking any drug or vaccine should at the least study likely side effects before making a more informed decision on the choice of drug/vaccine, or not to take it at all.

Anyone reading this thread and considering the 'free' vaccine can click through the reports and should be able to make their own decision, without someone like you belittling their behaviour.

According to the data analysed and presented in the UK Govt report and I quote:

"All UK spontaneous reports received (4 Jan 2021 to 21 April 21) for Covid-19 vaccine Oxford University/Astrazeneca....

"Total reactions from the drug 573,650. Total fatal outcomes 685".

I gave the link to this on page 6 of this thread.

And for comparison in another report:

"All UK spontaneous reports received (9 Dec 2020 to 21 April 21) for Covid-19 mRNA Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine....

"Total reactions from the drug 149,082. Total fatal outcomes 347".

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/982474/Covid-19_mRNA_Pfizer_BioNTech_vaccine_analysis_print2.pdf

Saw that, 32 people out of millions listed "crying" as a reaction.....LOL. Cherry picking......yes but there's a glut of cherries in there.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

I have it on good authority from a senior hospital administrator that the over 60's (Thais, Migrants and foreigners) are not included in the initial stages of the vaccination program.

The AZ vaccine being currently the most available is not recommended for those 60 and above.

The over 60's will be given the Pfizer jab at a later date when stock is sufficient.

You may recall, Prayut was supposed to be the first to be vaccinated in Thailand, but this was delayed and Anutin received the first vaccination. This is because Prayut is over 60 and they realised the AZ vaccine wasn't recommended for his age group, hence the younger Anutin received the AZ jab and Prayut received the Pfizer jab a few days later.

I can believe the part about Migrants/foreigners not being included in the initial upcoming vaccination stages, but Thais over 60s and those with certain chronic diseases are the target group for the upcoming vaccinations.....see news article quoted further down with the roll out of the Doctors Ready app.   

And it was Anutin that rec'd the Sinovac vaccine and about two week later Prayut received the AstraZeneca vaccine.  Pfizer vaccine not in play.  See the two snapshots below from news media.  .   It's the Sinovac vaccine that's not recommend for those over 60; not the AstraZeneca vaccine.  That's why Prayut who is over 60 got the AstraZeneca jab.   And back around Feb/Mar Sinovac and AstraZeneca were the only two vaccines Thailand got in small quantities.....and were the only two approved by Thai FDA for use.   Back then Pfizer vaccine was still just a wet dream for Thailand...and still may be although the govt says they are trying to see if they can possibly buy some.

Link to below 26 Apr 2021 news story.

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health has announced that registration for the next phase of vaccination will start from May 1.

A new version of MorPrompt (Doctor ready) reservation on Line application will launch from April 28 with 12 functions, including registration, vaccination date record, symptom follow-up, and reminder for second vaccine dose, for people willing to be vaccinated.

Registrants must be senior citizens aged 60 years and above and patients with seven chronic diseases: severe chronic respiratory disease, cardiovascular disease, stroke, chronic kidney disease, cancer of all types, diabetes and obesity. They will be given the AstraZeneca jab in June and July.

Phase 3 of inoculation will start in August for the general population aged 18-59 years with Sinovac, Sputnik V, AstraZeneca and Pfizer vaccines.

Anutin getting first jab in Thailand which was the Sinovac jab in late Feb 2021

image.png.fc8c1d019092e9438761cba720a8b80b.png

Prayut getting the jab in mid March 2021...and it was the Astrazeneca vaccine.

image.png.69ba85709822a76155e4ea556b619b1d.png

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Sweede said:

Very good news! The only way to put an end to all this misery is to get everyone vaccinated.

I will take it as soon as it is given to me.

If this deputy spokesman guy is anything like his boss, I would not believe a word he says, "there will be no coup" immediately springs to mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Pfizer is not even approved by the Thai FDA to be used in Thailand.

It doesn't have to be approved by the Thai authorities (already approved by WHO) it just has to be registered with the FDA of Thailand.

Private sector is looking to precure the Pfizer vaccine for sale through private hospitals, for those who don't want to wait months.

Unfortunately the link to an article in a certain newspaper confirming this is not allowed on this forum, but you can Google 'Authorities defend vaccine policy'.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

It doesn't have to be approved by the Thai authorities (already approved by WHO) it just has to be registered with the FDA of Thailand.

Private sector is looking to precure the Pfizer vaccine for sale through private hospitals, for those who don't want to wait months.

Unfortunately the link to an article in a certain newspaper confirming this is not allowed on this forum, but you can Google it.

I would not trust local infrastructure to be able to keep anything at sub-zero (-60 degrees) temperatures, which the pfizer vaccine requires.  Also pfizer vaccine should not be exposed to any light for extended periods

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Hip hip hooray! They have seen sense at last! 

Well if they didn’t then all Thais around the world would have been refused the jab and returned to Thailand .. That’s the precedent they would have set

21 hours ago, scorecard said:

And free / not free not mentioned in the announcement today.

They should be free as our home countries are vaccinating Thais residing there for free in their rollouts. I'm aware of requests to the aussie govt being requested to notify the Thai Govt that they expect Thailand to reciprocate with the  vaccinations in the Thai rollout and that they should also be for free.

Edited by TigerandDog

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I was here on an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai. Built a house, obtained a yellow book and my pink non immigrant ID card. Worked outside of the country until I turned 50 and retired. Traveled back and forth with re-entry permits for my extensions.

We will see what happens around June.... July... August..... Maybe by then we will find the definition of Expat?? For instance there are 2 different Th / Farang ID Cards. Yours starts with 6 ; Mine with 8. This is due to the fact that I am PR. Also in my passport is stamped

' Immigrant ' and I don't have Visa anymore. We will see what happens.... No need speculating 

7 minutes ago, skatewash said:

The government had been saying that they would allow hospitals to obtain vaccine themselves, but they have actually not been doing that.  Then a few days ago the government changed course and said that all vaccine would be procured through the government only.  Now maybe they have reversed that reversal.  It's very confusing... so the situation is perfectly normal ????

This is the latest news I've seen:  

https://www.thaienquirer.com/26993/course-changed-government-says-private-sector-has-no-need-to-order-vaccines/

This is what has actually been happening.  Hospitals are not being allowed to import vaccine:

https://www.thaienquirer.com/26891/exclusive-government-inaction-blocking-private-hospital-vaccine-purchase-despite-prayut-promise/

To recap:  Hospitals say they want to import vaccines but need government approval.  Government says they are not standing in the way.  Hospitals say they are.  Government announces that all vaccine should come from the government, hospitals don't need to obtain their own.  Government says hospitals can import their own vaccine it was all a misunderstanding.  Hospitals say they want to import vaccines but need government approval.  Rinse and repeat.

A perfect summary.  

• Like 1

Yesterday the wife and I went to the major private hospital we have used here in Bangkok for over a decade to get a replacement appointment slip for an Aug 2021 appt the wife has for an annual X-ray....we had lost the original appt slip.  

OK, got that replacement appt slip and we then asked about when will the hospital be offering COVID vaccines.   The answer was basically, "We are not offering COVID vaccines at this time nor do we offer a sign-up list for a future shot."  Summary: we don't know...ain't got a clue...and we are not taking names for pre-signup.   

I told the wife before we went to the hospital to ask the COVID question that would be the kind of response we would get.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
22 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Some foreigners in Thailand have already started to receive the vaccine, with some having already had two doses of the vaccine.

Erm... do they mean Embassy Staff and those working for various government bodies (i.e. British Counsel).

Erm...no, the OP clearly explains what they meant.

15 hours ago, Morbius said:

It should be taken into account that the most widely distributed vaccine in Thailand is the one from China (Sinovac/Sinopharm). There's been experiments with the British/Swedish vaccine from AstraZeneca in Thailand, but they were apparently been halted.

The problem is that, to the best of my knowledge, these vaccines from China have not been approved in Europe, in North America and in Australia. In Asia, some countries such as Japan and Singapore (there might be others) have not approved the China vaccines either.

Which means that expats living in Thailand (any Thai resident, in fact) and traveling to those countries will face restrictions measures such as quarantine upon arrival, even if they have been administered the China vaccine.

They might even face difficulties when boarding their plane, since several airlines have announced that, in the near future, they will admit on board only passengers who can prove that they have been vaccinated with a legit vaccine.

It looks like the essential issue I raised is starting to be discussed at the international level...

"...Already, the European Union is planning to allow Americans vaccinated with shots approved by their drug agency to enter over the summer, European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen suggested in a New York Times interview Sunday.

This means that those who have shots by Chinese makers like Sinovac Biotech Ltd. and Sinopharm Group Co. Ltd. are likely to be barred from entry for the foreseeable future, ... "

"...While Indonesia, home to Bali, and Thailand have approved and are administering Chinese shots, New Zealand and Australia -- which has seen its relations with China deteriorate the past year over the virus and trade -- do not...."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-25/vaccine-travel-rules-widen-the-rift-between-china-and-the-west

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrfill said:

What does it mean when it says that registration starts from 1st May?

I thought I understood, but perhaps not...

My understanding is supposedly it means when you can actually schedule yourself for a shot at some location.

The wife and I had no problem in the using the registration process the other day....that is, just trying to get yourself registered with the app so on 1 May you could hopefully try to schedule a job somewhere using the app.

2 minutes ago, Pib said:

My understanding is supposedly it means when you can actually schedule yourself for a shot at some location.

The wife and I had no problem in the using the registration process the other day....that is, just trying to get yourself registered with the app so on 1 May you could hopefully try to schedule a job somewhere using the app.

...and are you both Thai?