Expats in Thailand to receive COVID-19 vaccinations free of charge

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, Pib said:

One each Thai wife (Thai citizen) with Thai ID....and I'm one each farang with Thai Pink ID card.

So......farang with pink ID and you registered okay......correct? Is there anyway you could have registered without the pink ID?

1 hour ago, lks7689 said:

I see no value for fence sitters like you being around. You neither offer a solution nor take the plunge together to try to eradicate the virus, while sneering at others who does so. Like it or not, the virus will reach you and those around you one day, and it will be what you do( or did not)that decide your survival.

Gosh, that sounds like an apocalyptic scenario, doesn't it?  No place for fence-sitters in your dystopian vision of the future., eh?

The virus probably hit me last year, tbh. I had a mild flu, (the influenza that magically disappeared last year) and if I'd taken the utterly useless PCR-test (ran at cycles above >35) no doubt I would have tested positive for the killer virus. 

6 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

So......farang with pink ID and you registered okay......correct? Is there anyway you could have registered without the pink ID?

See my earlier post below.   

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ericdiam said:

Will be the AZ produced by Siam bioscience which I not much trust. And AZ has only 63% protection and is less effective even with the new variants, UK included. Also they only will start in June so prity sure foreigners will be maybe August-Seprember

For me if Pfizer, Moderna which are both over 90% or even J&J over 70% and that one already proven that UK variant works then I'll just go and pay for any of these

I'd prefer Sputnik.
High efficacy, and cost effective. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55900622

Edited by KKr
adding factual information
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I hope it is not mandatory. 

Mandatory? Hmmm! Think about it.

The vaccines do not guarantee immunity -- hopefully, should it be contacted, the symptoms will not be "as" life-threatening -- but it can still be contacted and it will still mutate into different strains and those strains will go on and on changing and infecting people. 

However, although the vaccines will only give ''protection'' against the worst symptoms. The spread of the virus will only be "contained" when "herd 'protection' [not 'immunity']" is achieved which means everyone should be vaccinated! 

Mandatory vaccination will never ever happen in any country other than for public servants and those in close contact with the public -- but it ought to!  There will be the religious refusals; there will be the idiots who refuse it on "its my choice" grounds; and there will be the really stupid idiots who claim that there is no covid virus and it is all a political ruse!  The way this virus spreads will continue to be spread by the "non-takers" and it will continue to mutate amongst them -- and also continue to spread to the rest of us!

And so this pandemic will go on and on for a few years (decades?) yet!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Gosh, that sounds like an apocalyptic scenario, doesn't it?  No place for fence-sitters in your dystopian vision of the future., eh?

The virus probably hit me last year, tbh. I had a mild flu, (the influenza that magically disappeared last year) and if I'd taken the utterly useless PCR-test (ran at cycles above >35) no doubt I would have tested positive for the killer virus. 

PCR tests are reliable, and have a low false positive rate. PCR tests accurately predict future hospitalizations and deaths.

You probably had the flu last year, so what?

A PCR test will not report influenza virus as Covid.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

I cannot keep up or follow this anymore....Very complicated

Couldn't agree more.   So many different news articles (Thai and English) saying different things.   So many ThaiVisa posts saying different things (many of which have incorrect/old info).  Can make the issue complicated and confusing. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pib said:

Yes, the data is preloaded by the govt.....but I seriously, seriously down the data comes from a hospital; instead, it's coming from the govt most likely directly from the Thai ID card database.

This is what I was referring to but feel free to provide better info. I doubt the card ID database would hold medical records. I go to a fairly efficient government hospital and it is only in the last couple of years they have communicated between depts, far less outside entities. I have to physically get a letter from the same doctor each time I do something that involves blood loss, such as a procedure in another hospital.

Hospitals throughout the nation have uploaded lists of senior citizens and patients with chronic illnesses into the Mor Prom system in preparation for registrations starting on May 1st.

• Like 1

There are excess supplies of Pfizer vaccine, so why won't Thailand import some for foreigners?

Pfizer has said it will be making up to 25 million shots each week in the US by mid-year, which is more than it needs to meet its commitment to deliver 300 million doses to the US by the end of July.

The company expects to produce as many as 2.5 billion vaccine doses in 2021 and already has agreements to supply more than a billion to governments around the world.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

Couldn't agree more.   So many different news articles (Thai and English) saying different things.   So many ThaiVisa posts saying different things (many of which have incorrect/old info).  Can make the issue complicated and confusing. 

I couldn't agree more with what you say, perhaps the author of this particular thread, or anyone else for that matter could pose the question with the CCSA, I see that they have a media section, are thaivisa a member of that section, or perhaps their connections to The Nation, who own this, could be asked to seek clarification from the CCSA,  I did look this morning for a FB page, apparently they read all the questions posed and will try to answer during g the English language broadcast, unfortunately I got called away but couldn't fi d the page when I tried again.

3 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

There are excess supplies of Pfizer vaccine, so why won't Thailand import some for foreigners?

Pfizer has said it will be making up to 25 million shots each week in the US by mid-year, which is more than it needs to meet its commitment to deliver 300 million doses to the US by the end of July.

The company expects to produce as many as 2.5 billion vaccine doses in 2021 and already has agreements to supply more than a billion to governments around the world.

How much are offering to the likes of Anutin for a license........maybe that is a problem?

18 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

How much are offering to the likes of Anutin for a license........maybe that is a problem?

No license to manufacture to a country like Thailand. Thailand doesn't have a reputation of producing quality authentic products. Thailand doesn't have high quality certified facility to produce such a vaccine.

Edited by Banana7
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

No license to manufacture to a country like Thailand. Thailand doesn't have a reputation of producing quality authentic products.

No, they would rather deal with China.

BioNTech provides the clinical supply of the vaccine from its GMP-certified mRNA manufacturing facilities, while Fosun specializes in clinical trial design and execution, regulatory approval and commercializing the vaccine in China.
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202104/1222511.shtml

4 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Not to manufacture .........to import.

Why would Pfizer pay anyone, to have their vaccine imported and available in Thailand? Pfizer doesn't need orders from Thailand. Thai people need quality vaccines and Pfizer is one of them.

What is the definition of an expat? Is it:

Every foreigner?

Every foreigner with a work permit?

Every foreigner with a work permit or Retirement visa/extension?

etc.etc.

While it makes sense to have everyone vaccinated, who"everyone" is, is far from clear.

11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Some good news for Biontech from the Chinese trials.

Based on the latest data, the vaccine can be stored at from 2 to 8C for a longer time, which provides better accessibility than its original requirement of ultra-low temperatures.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202104/1222511.shtml

I don't think Fosun got license to sell the vaccine outside China. However the Chinese are entering soon phase 3 trial of their own mRNA vaccine,  which is rumored to stay good for longer at 2-8C.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 10:15 AM, aussie11950 said:

Great. Now it's clear.

... until a cancellation change appears which unfortunately to often happens after breaking news ... 

On 4/29/2021 at 3:17 PM, Neeranam said:

Good on you Thailand. 

I was tired if reading all the Thai bashing paranoid foreigners' posts. 

As with everything Thai, saying it doesn't make it so.  Based on the February statement, it could have been almost done by now.

• Like 1