Expats in Thailand to receive COVID-19 vaccinations free of charge

Jonathan Fairfield

For those who don’t want to wait for the government roll-out of vaccinations for foreigners, they should contact private hospitals. It’s believed at some point in the future you’ll be able to pay for a vaccination with them. One big advantage is that you can choose which vaccine.

All foreigners in Thailand will be eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccination, it was announced at the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) briefing on Thursday.

According to Natapanu Nopakun, Deputy Spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, foreigners are included in Thailand’s mass vaccination plans.

“All people who reside in Thailand, regardless of nationality, are eligible to receive the vaccine under the plan,” Mr Natapanu said.

Unquote

I can NOT see in the above text that falang gets the shot for free.... I can however see that we will get it, and that is good.

But knowing how thai and many other peoples brain is working, I am NOT trusting anything until I see this written in stone for all to see.

I am convienced that Thailand will find a way to debit us falang for the Covid-19 shot...

glegolo

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, glegolo said:

can NOT see in the above text that falang gets the shot for free.

Yep...that was my comment....cannot see we will get it for free.......unless we have to wait so long 90% will have paid and gone private before out turn arrives.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Yep...that was my comment....cannot see we will get it for free.......unless we have to wait so long 90% will have paid and gone private before out turn arrives.

Sorry I didn´t read through the whole thread. But good we agree on this. Yes I will do that as well, that is to go private, pay up the 2 x 3000 baht or something like that, and be done with it. Instead of mingling with 300 other thais at the public crowed hospital at a very late stage of all this...

glegolo

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Sorry I didn´t read through the whole thread. But good we agree on this. Yes I will do that as well, that is to go private, pay up the 2 x 3000 baht or something like that, and be done with it. Instead of mingling with 300 other thais at the public crowed hospital at a very late stage of all this...

glegolo

This week i get my flu jab ,how long do you have to wait to get the covid jab ,do you know?

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

For those who don’t want to wait for the government roll-out of vaccinations for foreigners, they should contact private hospitals. It’s believed at some point in the future you’ll be able to pay for a vaccination with them. One big advantage is that you can choose which vaccine.

I am hoping a choice of vaccines will be available at the private hospitals too. 
Unfortunately, it may be a long wait. The article below appeared in the Thai Enquirer 2 days ago which seems to block the private hospitals acquiring vaccines. 
My understanding is that the World Health Organisation will only allow the pharmaceutical companies to sell the vaccines to Governments as the Governments are taking on the liability for any deaths that occur as a result of the vaccine, meaning the drug companies cannot be sued. 
Until the Thai Government signs the papers referred to in the article below there is noting the private hospitals can do as they cannot purchase the vaccines without the Government’s backing. 

Thailand’s government, through the Thai Chamber of Commerce, said late Wednesday that the private sector and hospital groups have no need to order vaccines on their own as the government would be able to provide for all vaccine needs.

Thai Enquirer reported on Wednesday that private sector requests for the government to countersign vaccine acquisition orders were being ignored by the public health ministry. 

The lack of government action came despite criticisms from opposition and coalition politicians over the lack of movement on vaccines and the government’s stonewalling of the private sector’s request.

Now, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha appears to be walking back promises made in a public address two weeks ago in which he promised to expedite and allow private hospitals to acquire their own vaccines to supplement the national pool.

The Thai Chamber of Commerce released a statement to private hospitals on Wednesday evening confirming the new direction following meetings it had with the prime minister. The statement, which was shared with the Thai Enquirer, reads as follows.

“The government has informed the Thai Chamber of Commerce that it has sourced enough vaccines to meet the requirement of every citizens, therefore the private sector does not need to buy any additional vaccines.”

The news will likely spark outrage among critics of the government and the general public who accuse the Prayut administration of not doing enough to inoculate the people leading to a rapidly worsening third wave of Covid-19.

Among the major criticisms has been that the government has not moved fast enough on its vaccine acquisitions program – rejecting offers from Pfizer and Moderna in favor of Sinovacs and locally produced AstraZeneca variants.

It is unclear why the government has chosen to change directions announced just two weeks prior. Calls to Government House and the Ministry of Public Health were not returned.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

This week i get my flu jab ,how long do you have to wait to get the covid jab ,do you know?

May I ask you. Do you have a workpermit and are working in Thailand..... I believe that kind of guys get their shots first, long long way before retired guys like me.. Or???

glegolo

On 4/29/2021 at 3:21 PM, audaciousnomad said:

It's RESIDENTS ONLY.  If you do not possess a Thai ID, you are not eligible.  You can only go the private route, which at the moment the hospitals have yet to receive any stocks of vaccine. 

Would a Thai drivers license be considered? Is there another form of ID?

17 minutes ago, glegolo said:

May I ask you. Do you have a workpermit and are working in Thailand..... I believe that kind of guys get their shots first, long long way before retired guys like me.. Or???

glegolo

No just a retiree ,got pink catd and yellow book ,"our son and his mum own the house we live in,mind you i actually own the shirt on my back ,????

Edited by bert bloggs
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Good question. So I went to Thai Rath online, Thai version, to find the answer. The stories I found only speak of people over 60 and those with seven different health conditions that increase risk. The Thai Rath articles say nothing about Thai citizenship or residency. I guess I could keep looking, but I'll find out more in person tomorrow (read below). With a little encouragement, I might even report back here.

Registration starts May 1 at your local (tambol) health clinic, at certain hospitals, and to a LINE account called หมอพร้อม (MawPrawm = "Dr. Ready"). Sorry for the forbidden Thai text, but I figure people can cut'n'paste it into LINE to find it. I happen to live right next door to my local government building, so I plan to mosey over there in the morning to find out more. 

Following up on what I said yesterday. I went to my local government public health office this morning. The nice young lady asked to see my ID card. I gave her my pink card, and she recorded the number and my phone number. She told me that people will start being notified June 7th. She did not know which vaccine will be used. In the case of this local tambol, the shots will be given, not at this little public health clinic, but at (Amphur) Sansai Hospital (Chiang Mai). I forgot to ask for their definition of "resident", just gave them my yellow card. 

I mentioned a LINE account. Someone noted above that he found it with a different spelling, plus an app in the PlayStore. Sorry about the error; this is why I avoid transliteration since I learned to read Thai 44 years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skorts said:

Among the major criticisms has been that the government has not moved fast enough on its vaccine acquisitions program – rejecting offers from Pfizer and Moderna in favor of Sinovacs and locally produced AstraZeneca variants.

There are no AstraZeneca variants. The will produce the AstraZeneca vaccine.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, rabas said:

There are no AstraZeneca variants. The will produce the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Agree, I did not know what Thai Enquirer were referring to here either ....

Edited by skorts
Wrong news name!
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 8:21 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Excellent news... the only logical and fair solution as the vaccine helps all, not just the person vaccinated but those with whom that person comes into contact. 

As it stands: Ministry of Public Health announced:

From 1st May 60+ and those in 7 high risk groups can register - First vaccinations will strat from 7th June.

From  1st July: 18-59 can register with first vaccinations taking place in August. 

Thus, given this news that foreigners can also receive the vaccination one can assume that the above MOPH announcement includes foreigners. 

Now.. Lets see how this good news can be screwed up in practice. 

Erm... do they mean Embassy Staff and those working for various government bodies (i.e. British Counsel).

I am sure this means Frontline and high-risk people and there must be more than a few of them.

On 4/29/2021 at 12:47 PM, Neeranam said:

Good on you Thailand. 

I was tired if reading all the Thai bashing paranoid foreigners' posts. 

lol good luck with getting sinovac and having no choices or options let the bashing continue.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:
19 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

If one has an ID number issued by the district office and a Pink ID I would assume that number is in the national system somewhere. Like many government and bank online systems that ID number starting with 6 is not recognized.

That's what I have been trying to explain many times... The cards starting with 6 are not PR. and therefor not recognized as resident.  ( PR starts with 8 ) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

That's what I have been trying to explain many times... The cards starting with 6 are not PR. and therefor not recognized as resident.  ( PR starts with 8 ) 

Can somebody post the relevant order that mandates residency/Thai ID?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

I have booked a vaccine appointment with a number 6 pink ID, the Mor Prom app accepted it no problems.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2021 at 3:17 PM, Neeranam said:

Good on you Thailand. 

I was tired if reading all the Thai bashing paranoid foreigners' posts. 

Have you read the post in another thread  yet about an administration and doctors  fee for foreigners, free  jab,  but not for those other two ancillaries.

20 hours ago, taxin said:

None. I just fail to believe how a mandatory Covid test for foreigners in Phuket can be 500 baht, but a voluntary vaccine will be free.

Only time will tell.

Or how if a test is positive, you automatically go into a hospital (producing overcrowding). My brother had covid (he's 80) did a quarantine for 14 days & is back to working on the farm...I know: time will tell.

2 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Following up on what I said yesterday. I went to my local government public health office this morning. The nice young lady asked to see my ID card. I gave her my pink card, and she recorded the number and my phone number. She told me that people will start being notified June 7th. She did not know which vaccine will be used. In the case of this local tambol, the shots will be given, not at this little public health clinic, but at (Amphur) Sansai Hospital (Chiang Mai). I forgot to ask for their definition of "resident", just gave them my yellow card. 

I mentioned a LINE account. Someone noted above that he found it with a different spelling, plus an app in the PlayStore. Sorry about the error; this is why I avoid transliteration since I learned to read Thai 44 years ago. 

Is the pink ID card mandatory, is that all they will accept? Any ideas what to do if a person has a valid long stay visa but no pink card or yellow book?

• Thanks 1

I have a different situation.  I came back here simply because I love Thailand, but my 'real' life is in libraries & scholarly activities, bicycle paths in the West.  It's difficult to be patient w/ all this; it just seems bleak & foreboding.  Not so sure I want to retire here after all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jomtienisgood said:

I registered this morning at my local public health clinic. The only ID they wanted to see is my pink card, beginning with number 6. This is my first-hand experience. 

So, tell us. What is your source for the information you gave? Hint: your own uninformed bias is not what's meant by a source. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I have booked a vaccine appointment with a number 6 pink ID, the Mor Prom app accepted it no problems.

Did u receive some form of notification or appointment? Many attempts using my ID have just return to the registration page.

2 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

Did u receive some form of notification or appointment? Many attempts using my ID have just return to the registration page.

Yes sent as a LINE message at the end of the process. I think you will find the system is overloaded today as it just started, I had to try a few times but eventually went through

image.png.869a85f1e88b6479409ecc96331d3e2e.png

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes sent as a LINE message at the end of the process. I think you will find the system is overloaded today as it just started, I had to try a few times but eventually went through

image.png.869a85f1e88b6479409ecc96331d3e2e.png

Thank you.

Why do I get the feeling that this news not only may not be truthful but also that it may change again depending on which side of the bed they’ve slept on ???? I have hard time to believe you can get anything free in thailand especially a Chinese/Russian or whatever else vaccine, not having it thanks.

If I will get it, I will be happy to have a Pzfier or a Moderna once I’m in mainland Europe.

Thanks for the thought though ????