University fees for non-Thais

OzMan

Looking at undergraduate fees at Chulalongkorn university, it states clearly that only Thai citizens are eligible for lower fees. non-Thais living here, even if permanent resident and living here for years, have to pay the much higher international student rate. Chulalongkorn's web page said this was a government rule. Has anybody any contrary experience with this?

https://www.reg.chula.ac.th/tuition-fees-en.html

Chulalongkorn wrote to me to say the semester fee for a person with a Thai passport is 25,500 baht. anybody without a Thai passport there is an extra fee of 138,000 baht, making the total semester fee 163,500 baht. Two semesters a year, the yearly fee for a non-Thai is 327,000 baht. Considering some people have been living here since birth, e.g. from Vietnam who came with their parents, this is extortion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 3:27 PM, OzMan said:

Chulalongkorn wrote to me to say the semester fee for a person with a Thai passport is 25,500 baht. anybody without a Thai passport there is an extra fee of 138,000 baht, making the total semester fee 163,500 baht. Two semesters a year, the yearly fee for a non-Thai is 327,000 baht. Considering some people have been living here since birth, e.g. from Vietnam who came with their parents, this is extortion.

They would be considered international students. In Australia, international students pay around 30K dollars a year for doing the same course that locals do, which is covered by HECS, or whatever it is called now. Mahidol do the same thing. 

Other universities here are considerably cheaper. I did my PhD at Mae Fah Luang in Chiang Rai and I paid around 50K Baht per semester. But MFU is heavily subsidized so it is pretty economical for everyone. Chiang Mai university is a good school and charges international students less than Chula, I believe. So unless you are keen on going to Chula and/or need to be in Bangkok, look at some other schools in different areas of the country.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2021 at 3:27 PM, OzMan said:

Still reasonable compared to ABAC. Send them to Denmark if accepted they study for free.  I know another EU country where many foreigners (Dutch and French, and X number of others) like to study because it is cheaper and easier than in their home country. 

Edited by SomchaiCNX

20 minutes ago, ecline said:

Other universities here are considerably cheaper. I did my PhD at Mae Fah Luang in Chiang Rai and I paid around 50K Baht per semester. But MFU is heavily subsidized so it is pretty economical for everyone. Chiang Mai university is a good school and charges international students less than Chula, I believe. So unless you are keen on going to Chula and/or need to be in Bangkok, look at some other schools in different areas of the country.

Regarding Mae Fah Luang, still many THai look a little bit down, because that Uni is not famous in their eyes (yet) . All those students and graduates that applied at my company had a very good knowledge (tourism) and spoke excellent English, far better than any other university in this area. Hope one day the Thai will realize that Mae Fah Luang is a good place to study.

• Like 2

International courses conducted in English are always very expensive here. Even for myself when I studied for master program held in Thai language the university charged me a foreigner fee of 15.000 Baht per semester. They claimed BS such as I don't pay taxes here and the university has more administrative work with foreigners. Nice to see they're trying to rip off foreigners wherever possible. Still Thais are eligible to study for free in the EU....

• Like 2

Comparable to the UK, which I am currently researching for my son. Despite the fact we are both British Citizens, we probably have to pay the foreign student rates, simply because we have not been resident in the UK for the last 3 years.

I don't know about Chula, but I know about other state and private universities that charge non- Thais higher matriculation fees (used to be 20k vs 8k) but the cost per credit is the same for all. However as someone mentioned above - in your case the difference might be due to international studies in English whereas Thai students usually take the Thai classes. 

Chula has an executive MBA program that used to cost 1m thb for all - Thai and non Thai

10 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

I don't know about Chula, but I know about other state and private universities that charge non- Thais higher matriculation fees (used to be 20k vs 8k) but the cost per credit is the same for all. However as someone mentioned above - in your case the difference might be due to international studies in English whereas Thai students usually take the Thai classes. 

Chula has an executive MBA program that used to cost 1m thb for all - Thai and non Thai

Last sentence; that depends whether it's the Executive MBA conducted by the Chula Business School (Accounting and Commerce School), or the Chula Sasin School which is much more expensive, difficult to enter (hi-so is easier) but has some excellent professors.

'Same fees costs for all unis - government rule'.

The analogy would be 'how long is a piece of string?'

The section of the Ed. Ministry which makes policies and rules does have numerous rules which have supposedly been issued and promulgated as applicable to all unis.

But the reality is that some of the rules/parts of the rules are followed but many rules/parts of polices are ignored by many unis and the students still officially graduate.

Don't try to understand, you can't. 

Edited by scorecard