Thai children spend more time staring at screens than WHO’s recommended limit

snoop1130

F1D931A7-747F-4D5B-835B-7BC78AAA2F5B-600x413.jpeg

Research shows that Thai children spend 35 hours per week watching device screens, which is over double the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) recommended limit of 16 hours.

Thai health authorities are concerned over the increase in the number of children becoming addicted to their smartphones, as schools are forced to close during the COVID-19 outbreak. Many parents, however, still have to work, leaving them little choice but to let children spend more time on smartphones, tablets or watching TV at home.

Though the WHO’s report states that play time is a fundamental right of all children, and they should be able to play freely for at least 1-2 hours per day, to develop their skills, ThaiHealth is concerned that the number of screen-addicted children will continue to increase.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-children-spend-more-time-staring-at-screens-than-whos-recommended-limit/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-04-29

The portable baby sitter for lazy parents that are too busy on their own phones to take the time to play or iteact with their children!  Baby's attention deficit and inability to focus for more than 5 seconds are the obvious result. ???? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MasterBaker said:

what else they supposed to do when schools are closed. gyms are closed, pools are closed. Yes, watch TV and run to 7-11 to buy a sugary drinks. that's how this nation got so obese

The welfare of kids has been very far down the priority list.  Fat kids = happy kids!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

My Wife goes into hot sweats and shaking if the internet is off for more than 5 minutes..........( luckily she does not read T.V. so I am reasonably safe ).............????

...luckily she can not read...????

• Haha 1

Speaking of Thailand, not just the poor because they even have phones it is part of the norm now, every second, every minute, it has taken over for the T.V.  want the kid to behave here is the phone the list goes on and on phone has the job of parenting of having to teach and communicate with your children.  Organization like W.H.O. like teacher suggest but impossible to follow yourself or enforce.  No one these days practice what they preach particularly here.????.

My daughter in law little brother once came over the house he couldn't go to school because parents didn't want the teachers to see his face. Personally I've never seen it before face swollen as if it was a allergic reaction. He must have been on the phone 24/7 I told everyone if he wants to come over no phone. I knew this wouldn't happen it was my way of making sure he didn't come over ever!????

Edited by thailand49

Do these articles ever consider the amount of ‘good’ screens also do. 

My son is sat next to me doing Matheletics right now....  

He has been doing his online learning today, well being calls, also an online music class. 

He has also spent about 30-40mins playing a computer game (Roblox for those in the know).

He also loves MineCraft and loves watching the Brightside on Youtube...

He reads for 30mins to an Hour before bed (regular books - anything he likes). 

Screens are an incredible resource. 

BUT... what he doesn’t do enough of is going down to the woods, making swings, playing football in the park, getting muddy etc etc... but we do not live in the countryside in the UK, we live in the centre of a major capital city. 

This ‘battle against the screen’ is ridiculous....  iPads, Tablets, Computers, TV’s are all an extremely useful resource when used correctly and with intelligent balance. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do these articles ever consider the amount of ‘good’ screens also do. 

My son is sat next to me doing Matheletics right now....  

He has been doing his online learning today, well being calls, also an online music class. 

He has also spent about 30-40mins playing a computer game (Roblox for those in the know).

He also loves MineCraft and loves watching the Brightside on Youtube...

He reads for 30mins to an Hour before bed (regular books - anything he likes). 

Screens are an incredible resource. 

BUT... what he doesn’t do enough of is going down to the woods, making swings, playing football in the park, getting muddy etc etc... but we do not live in the countryside in the UK, we live in the centre of a major capital city. 

This ‘battle against the screen’ is ridiculous....  iPads, Tablets, Computers, TV’s are all an extremely useful resource when used correctly and with intelligent balance. 

Good post.  Much the same was said about comic books, television, videos etc in previous decades.