What is my best option for find anti mould/mold cleaner?

VocalNeal

No Home Pro up here. Tops? Global? Tesco?

It is time to start maintenance on of of my bathrooms.

My first choice was Vixol Oxy but thought I will be better with something specifically for mould.

Edited by VocalNeal

It's unlikely that you are going to find something that is made specifically for molds, i.e. sporicidal disinfectant, as these will likely have bacteriocidal properties as well.  Anything with 10% bleach will work just fine.  I've been using a spray called Promax.  IDK exactly what the bleach concentration is since the label is bleached away. Probably a good sign.

There are detergents that do a fine job as well - quaternary ammonium and phenolic detergents but I have no idea what those might be called in Thailand.  Bleach (aka sodium hypochlorite) is pretty easy to recognize on a label.

Thanks for reminding me about a job I still have to do!

I started a thread about this quite recently, but have done nothing about it:

Here is my ceiling today:

490098852_IMG_20210429_214234400.jpg.90a918dcb3c481f4d3de754663c0022e.jpg

The smaller white circle is where I tried pure Haiter bleach (6% hypochlorite), the larger one was just hand soap on a sponge. So the bleach was more effective, although the soap got rid of most.

Then, after reading your post,. I remembered that I had some mould remover spray and gave that a try in another corner:273504654_MouldRemover.jpg.330a760109b55f2424c07bb507774720.jpg

Before and after: 

Before1.jpg.03c92fecb393d5861702e2d405df65b6.jpg  After1.jpg.7e2d6f3e6ac513797845234660024888.jpg

I used a mop to gently press against the ceiling from one side to the other.

So, not very effective - probably just moved the mould around a bit,

and the mop head was pretty dirty after use.   mop2.jpg.8f7c895f953175339d3e7387147f184e.jpg 

So tomorrow I'll use Haiter bleach diluted in the mop bucket and wash the ceiling using the damp mop.

Edited by JetsetBkk

I spray down my shower about once every 6 months with Haiter Blue ( Original , which i am led to believe is stronger than the pink or yellow ), vacate the house for a few hours then rinse it off.

I usually give it a quick rub down with one of those Scotchbrite pads to remove any soap residue, nothing too vigorous required, and rinse again.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I spray down my shower about once every 6 months with Haiter Blue ( Original , which i am led to believe is stronger than the pink or yellow ), vacate the house for a few hours then rinse it off.

I usually give it a quick rub down with one of those Scotchbrite pads to remove any soap residue, nothing too vigorous required, and rinse again.

I do that every month or two with the yellow Haiter - 6% Sodium Hypochlorite.

remember to leave the bleach solution on the surface being cleaned................. usually 20 minutes or so is enough.    THIS will kill the mold.      Then rinse off with plain water or water and soap.   

spray bottles work good.    don't get it in your eyes though  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read on the internet that “oxygen bleach” is better than the normal “chlorine bleach “ for killing mound as it gives better penetration.

We have been using the Haiter brand usually used for colored items we put it in a spray bottle and it seems to work better than the standard item, also does have the same fumes.

Just now, StevieAus said:

I read on the internet that “oxygen bleach” is better than the normal “chlorine bleach “ for killing mound as it gives better penetration.

We have been using the Haiter brand usually used for colored items we put it in a spray bottle and it seems to work better than the standard item, also does have the same fumes.

Correction to the above should read “ doesn’t have the same fumes”

6 hours ago, fdsa said:

try Dettol, found in virtually every store.

Dettol hand wash is a phenolic detergent-based disinfectant.  That should work as well for most fungi.  When I worked in tissue culture/virus labs I would use phenolic detergents to disinfect waste liquid before pouring down the sink.  Bleach is corrosive to metals and reacts with nitrogen containing groups (amines) releasing chlorine gas which was a concern for our application.  Solutions with benzalkonium chloride work as well but not as well as bleach.  However benzalkonium chloride and other quaternary ammonium detergents don't have a strong smell.

6 minutes ago, davemos said:

White vinegar and baking soda will work .Proportions 2/1 spray on leave wipe off .No fumes cheap and effective 

I'll try some of the home concoctions! Maybe yours with a bit of bleach added.

13 hours ago, rumak said:

plain old bleach ( sold brand name Haiter) ..... easier to copy google than explain:

For killing mold with bleach use a ratio of one cup of bleach per gallon of water (ie about 1 part bleach to 10 parts water). Apply the solution to non-porous surfaces with mold growth either by using a spray bottle or by using a bucket and a sponge or cloth.

bleach is strong stuff.   cover yourself up and don't breathe it in .   For DIY painters,  any surface with mold on it should be washed down thoroughly with bleach solution as part of prep work.   otherwise what you paint over will NOT kill the mold and it will surface again in time

Thais know it as "Hygiene"...asking for bleach will get you blank stares

14 hours ago, rumak said:

plain old bleach ( sold brand name Haiter) ..... easier to copy google than explain:

For killing mold with bleach use a ratio of one cup of bleach per gallon of water (ie about 1 part bleach to 10 parts water). Apply the solution to non-porous surfaces with mold growth either by using a spray bottle or by using a bucket and a sponge or cloth.

bleach is strong stuff.   cover yourself up and don't breathe it in .   For DIY painters,  any surface with mold on it should be washed down thoroughly with bleach solution as part of prep work.   otherwise what you paint over will NOT kill the mold and it will surface again in time

Good old chlorine bleach. Always use a rated filter mask, not a simple cup shaped paper one. ventilate area with a fan too is a good idea.

3 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

Dettol hand wash is a phenolic detergent-based disinfectant.  That should work as well for most fungi.  When I worked in tissue culture/virus labs I would use phenolic detergents to disinfect waste liquid before pouring down the sink.  Bleach is corrosive to metals and reacts with nitrogen containing groups (amines) releasing chlorine gas which was a concern for our application.  Solutions with benzalkonium chloride work as well but not as well as bleach.  However benzalkonium chloride and other quaternary ammonium detergents don't have a strong smell.

Is Dettol good to kill fungus on the male scrotum?

Suggestion of other successful products for same purpose appreciated.

2 hours ago, tonray said:

Thais know it as "Hygiene"...asking for bleach will get you blank stares

Haiter is the most popular Brand,  i think.    Hygiene is another brand .   asking for either should work when asking a clerk ( though easy to find in isle with clothes detergent)

asking for bleach.... blank stares indeed

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Is Dettol good to kill fungus on the male scrotum?

Suggestion of other successful products for same purpose appreciated.

Clotramizole cream or similar anti-fungal cream. Chemists stock them.

52 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Clotramizole cream or similar anti-fungal cream. Chemists stock them.

If it looks like this you need something stronger

image.png.8aaa888186e835b38e3b048854ca3d87.png

But yeah there are creams with clotrinazole or tolnaftate that work well for this. A soap will kill what's on the surface but the yeast/fungi that causes jock itch gets under the skin. The soap probably won't reach this. But it should help prevent the spread to others.