Any Pattaya restaurants that use biodegradable takeaway containers?

Card

2 hours ago, Excel said:

You were doing no such thing in your reply.  Clearly you neither understood my original post as I previously questioned, nor even remembered what you wrote in your last reply to me !!

So just to remind you this was what you said in your post to me. "So I assume whenever you visit a restaurant you go on foot or bicycle."  So clearly my example of hypocritical behaviour hit a sore spot with you and you thought a smart ar$e reply would get you off the hook. Now if you wish to discuss carbon neutral policies and the practical difficulties of their  implementation in Thailand with regards to home delivery/take-away  food establishments, start a new thread. Don't get it confused with just another sales gimmick of  providing biodegradable food containers 

Yes I did, and no, you didn't.

As an aside, covid will ruin what's left of the environment. It was borne from our abuse of wild animals and has resulted in the mass dumping of plastics from face masks, to hospital disposables to food and other deliverable packages from online trading. Ok, it may have temporarily reduced some air pollution from reduced industrial activity, but that will be soon made up, whilst the plastic pollution will stay for centuries.

16 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Already on order. I almost always cook at home, but sometimes fancy a change. The problem with home cooking from shop ingredients is the plastic containers the ingredients come in! Also I could never understand the benefit of shops not providing bags. Now everyone has to buy waste bags in supermarkets to replace the ones they got free with their shopping. The best solution would have been for shops to provide paper bags or for a source of paper waste bags for purchase somewhere.

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Already on order. I almost always cook at home, but sometimes fancy a change. The problem with home cooking from shop ingredients is the plastic containers the ingredients come in! Also I could never understand the benefit of shops not providing bags. Now everyone has to buy waste bags in supermarkets to replace the ones they got free with their shopping. The best solution would have been for shops to provide paper bags or for a source of paper waste bags for purchase somewhere.

13 hours ago, Card said:

Just received a Fraser's take-away. Still about 1/3 -1/2 plastic containers or bags, the rest brown paper. A big improvement on Yayoi Japanese but still not great. 

I usually go down there and tell them no plastic bag to carry , for example my chicken parmigiana which I love comes just with white paper and cardboard tray and chips come in paper bag , I did get mashed potatoes and they come in a baggie with plastic gravy cup but pretty good packaging without too much plastic wrap , I hate the foam places 

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

OK, for all the dogooders and tree huggers out there.

Hardly any restaurant delivers the stuff as this is outsourced by the ordering customer using delivery services like Foodpanda, Grab etc. Even if deliveries are done by the restaurant it is certainly a step in the right direction! 

I personally find it laudable, that a restaurant does its little share and spend an extra dime in biodegradable packaging material. The bicycle part of the food intake remains with the ordering party - mostly. 

And for "Excel" putting up the querying comment - congratulations of losing weight as you only walk around barefoot and live of raw, uncooked stuff during daylight only - I would assume. 

Get real, I answered a question risen in the original posting only. 

Another poster who can't read. My post was about the hypocrite nature of the sellers . I neither said I thought it was good or bad. I merely said that they were mostly hypocritical. However unlike yourself I choose not to use childish and snide remarks  rather make a point understood by many, which clearly I did yet stirred up a hornets nest of those attempting to defend the indefensible.

On 5/5/2021 at 11:22 AM, Excel said:

You were doing no such thing in your reply.  Clearly you neither understood my original post as I previously questioned, nor even remembered what you wrote in your last reply to me !!

So just to remind you this was what you said in your post to me. "So I assume whenever you visit a restaurant you go on foot or bicycle."  So clearly my example of hypocritical behaviour hit a sore spot with you and you thought a smart ar$e reply would get you off the hook. Now if you wish to discuss carbon neutral policies and the practical difficulties of their  implementation in Thailand with regards to home delivery/take-away  food establishments, start a new thread. Don't get it confused with just another sales gimmick of  providing biodegradable food containers 

I'm with him on this. IMO no point complaining about other people's transgressions re pollution while polluting oneself. That would include not using fossil powered transportation.

On 5/5/2021 at 1:53 PM, Card said:

You think supermarkets stopped giving free plastic bags because they care about the environment? LOL.

Just about everything they sell comes in non biodegradable plastic. IMO it's all about them making more profit by not giving "free" bags, and selling overpriced shopping bags. Greed is the reason, IMO.

35 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You think supermarkets stopped giving free plastic bags because they care about the environment? LOL.

Just about everything they sell comes in non biodegradable plastic. IMO it's all about them making more profit by not giving "free" bags, and selling overpriced shopping bags. Greed is the reason, IMO.

Then why did they not do it sooner? 

It is because they were prompted and  pressured. I certainly see benefit in the idea, even if I am struggling to find something to line the small rubbish bins with. 

It does seem a waste when everything from meats to vegetables is then well wrapped in plastic that does not even have some secondary use. 

On 5/5/2021 at 10:02 AM, Excel said:

Another poster who can't read. My post was about the hypocrite nature of the sellers . I neither said I thought it was good or bad. I merely said that they were mostly hypocritical. However unlike yourself I choose not to use childish and snide remarks  rather make a point understood by many, which clearly I did yet stirred up a hornets nest of those attempting to defend the indefensible.

Thank you for your closing remarks; what would be such a forum without most valuable input like yours! 

The sellers fight for their survival and some, laudably, spend an extra cent or two as their contribution to minimizing garbage.

But for you this is not good enough - noted. In that case get down to the next fresh food market, barefoot, get your culinary needs covered and eat them without cooking on gas, electricity or charcoal as your contribution to minimizing the size of carbon footprint. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Then why did they not do it sooner? 

It is because they were prompted and  pressured. I certainly see benefit in the idea, even if I am struggling to find something to line the small rubbish bins with. 

It does seem a waste when everything from meats to vegetables is then well wrapped in plastic that does not even have some secondary use. 

Of course it was because they were pressured by the green lobby. Same as smoking was banned inside public areas in many parts of the world because of pressure.

However my post was about the hypocrisy of banning free plastic bags  while still wrapping everything in plastic. IMO supermarket owners thought it an opportune moment to make more profit while virtue signalling.

I still line my rubbish tin with plastic bags, though I now have to pay for them.