Thailand Increases Visitor Quarantine Period as Covid Rages

webfact

bl.jpg

Prognosis

By Randy Thanthong-Knight and Prim Chuwiruch

● All arrivals subject to two-week isolation on variant concerns

● Dine-in, large gatherings banned in virus hotspot Bangkok

Thailand will increase a mandatory quarantine period for all arrivals to two weeks in a setback to the country’s previous plans of gradually reopening its borders to foreign visitors.

The Southeast Asian nation earlier this month reduced the timeframe to seven days for vaccinated tourists and ten days for most others in a bid to boost its tourism sector. But the latest Covid-19 wave, the country’s worst since the pandemic began, has forced the government to reintroduce the restrictions.

All visitors who receive entry permits starting May 1 will be required to undergo the longer isolation, the Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration announced after a meeting headed by Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-Ocha. 

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-29/thailand-increases-quarantine-period-for-visitors-as-covid-rages

Bloomberg.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

there's the goal posts moving again for those that already booked travel.  

Have fun in Thailand, LOL!  Your quarantine just got longer and more money too!

If they are dumb enough to travel at this time then it serves them right

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand will increase a mandatory quarantine period for all arrivals to two weeks in a setback to the country’s previous plans of gradually reopening its borders to foreign visitors.

Ohh dear Pipat... what now?

Apparently they do not know what a vaccine really is, maybe that is why they are so far behind in rolling them out? With domestic tourism down even more due to this rise in noted infections they need more money so they have done away with the shorter quarantines to try to make up for it. Wait till bookings fall even further! What a debacle

• Like 1

what they are afraid is mutation from india, but many from india (or through indian airports) came within this month, some only on 7 days quarantine (vax is available in india for many months).

they will stop issuing new travel permits and stop all movement all together. 

They have already removed diplomatic corp from delhi on a special military airplane. 

Edited by internationalism

Saving face....bars in bkk open followed by happy Songkran traveling to fan out the covid to all parts.  Now farangs arriving  that are vaccinated are to pay the penalty for home grown spread.  Smhc

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I have to leave Thailand in August. If there is still a 14 day quarantine for vaccinated individuals at that time, I won’t come back. 

It might be 28 days quarantine by then. Do you really think the Thai leadership cares whether you return?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, drenddy said:

Where the ..... is the logic in asking vaccinated people to quarantine 14 days, when the surge in cases in driven by thais?

The point is to reduce the risks of mutations coming in.

Surge is driven by thais? And who is the surge driven by outside Thailand? 

• Confused 2

24 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

So I should keep my wife here in the UK on an expired visa ?

The visa can be extended (if you are not aware), my Thai niece's visa ran out last November and has she is still in the UK on an extension ,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

The visa can be extended (if you are not aware), my Thai niece's visa ran out last November and has she is still in the UK on an extension ,

Not a Visitor visa unfortunately. We've already looked into it and we can't convert it besides which the little one needs to get back to school.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Not a Visitor visa unfortunately. We've already looked into it and we can't convert it besides which the little one needs to get back to school.

None of my business......but I thought all visas had been done away with the exception of a "visitor's" visa?

Edited by Surelynot

17 minutes ago, retsdon said:

Extra expense and time or not, at least when I finally get out of quarantine I'll have the consolation of knowing that if I hadn't left Thailand I wouldn't now be properly vaccinated.....

Yep. I left Thailand expressly to get vaccinated.

And to pick up my power tools.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Bang goes the Phuket Sandbox model then.

This decision is a consequence of their sheer reluctance to deal with the virus seriously in the beginning and allowing travel at Songkran

Agreed. The Songkran period was a disaster with thousands of people on the move all over Thailand. Really stupid.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

None of my business......but I thought all visas had been done away with the exception of a "visitor's" visa?

No idea, she's here in the UK on a 6 month visitor visa but has to go back before mid-May.

Edited by Chelseafan