Lending money to a Thai

15 minutes ago, alocmrlj said:

Something to look at. How would kaifaak or jumnong  work when farang can't legally own land in Thailand. 

Yes, good point.

Will be in my trusted Thai business partners name. We have a company together (he funded his share, not just a nominee). We might even put it through the company.

I was hoping to get some real life info from someone experienced with that also.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tagged said:

When she already have values for 80 million, why she need a private loan from you? 

Most likely she have already past her limits with the banks, family and other possibillities.

They have a buyer (but no deposit paid yet) for the bigger resort. That has loans against it.

Expected to settle in 3 months. But being Thailand it will probably take longer as everything does.

Banks want her to lend for a minimum of 3 years. She doesn't want it or need it. I am charging her the maximum legal interest rate plus a bonus. Win win.

The smaller resort already has 800;000 jumnong against it. She will use the 2 million to pay that off, a couple of other smaller personal debts and survive on the rest until the big sale comes through.

She also has other land she has jumnonged.

Obviously been hit hard by the tourist covid situation.

I will only lend it against a clean land title on the smaller resort at the land office. And I believe if I jumnong her I have to go to court to take her resort, whereas if I kaifaag it I simply just kick her out and can legally sell it straight away. That actually is my main question here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

With kaifaag RobMuir there is a lot of added expense, Tax for changing property into your GF name, then tax on changing it back if she does pay you. Its the safest and fastest option if you are not paid . But the tax alone would whipe out the loan you are quoting--you also have to be aware of the law of  "Usury" What rate are you lending at. ?

Because "Legally" you are not going to get more then 1.3% a month (16% a year for a secured loan---18.86%  for unsecured)

I have friends who formed a consortium to lend on construction sites at 13%--which is a good income if all is going well. (certainly better than my bank interest rate) But they do it properly with a law firm etc.

With removing someone from the property--you have to take a step back and put it into the hands of an agency.

jumnong for a farng involved is definitely not an option.

Thankyou for your intelligent, informed reply.

Yes I was aware of the extra expense for her which is why she wants jumnong over kaifaag. Her smaller resort is on a few different chanotes.

I could take one for say worth 10 million that includes the private road to her resort valued at say 10 million, which would reduce her taxes but still secure my loan.

I am pretty sure I won't be jumronging it. And will go for the fool proof kaifaag way.

Up to me.

"Can anyone here clearly explain the difference between the two and pros and cons of each.

And the procedures at the land office etc.

And anything else."

-There are some decent and astute Thai lawyers  who speak good English that can answer all your questions and can advise you properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ian3005 said:

A Thai woman asking for a loan should set off alarm bells and warning sirens.

Look at the lifestyle of the person asking for the loan.

If you see brand label clothing and high end accessories like Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Ferragamo etc. run like the wind.

She is actually wealthy but you wouldn't pick it. Quite the opposite of what you describe. She is in her 50's. 

Built up her wealth steadily over many years, just screwed now because of covid. She will be cashing in big time if the bigger resort sells which is why I don't feel guilty about taking the high interest.

Just now, zombie nights said:

"Can anyone here clearly explain the difference between the two and pros and cons of each.

And the procedures at the land office etc.

And anything else."

-There are some decent and astute Thai lawyers  who speak good English that can answer all your questions and can advise you properly.

I will be seeking legal advice, was hoping to get a heads up here.

Thankyou

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Jumnong is when you get to keep the paper of the land until she pays, kaifaak is when land paper is transfered to you, but she can buy back. Thats what my gf says. 

What kind of land title she have. 

Chanotes

43 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I will be seeking legal advice, was hoping to get a heads up here.

It would be nice if you could share how your lawyer wants to structure this transaction.

Edited by Fromas
  • Thanks 1