Jomtien: Pick-up ends up in the sea after swerving to miss motorcycle on "dark" beach road

webfact

10pm.jpg

Na Jomtien police responded at 8 pm last night after a Ford Ranger pick-up with Bangkok plates wound up in the sea after a near miss with a motorcycle that cut in front. 

Driver Monkhol, 38, a business owner, said it was dark and poorly lit on beach road and he had to swerve in order to avoid hitting a motorcyclist.

10pm1.jpg

He damaged a sign in connection with the beach improvements going on in Jomtien.

Monkhol was unhurt but he said had he not swerved the motorcyclist could have been severely hurt, reported Siam Chon News on Facebook. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-30

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

I've had that situation plus on a seperate occasion an Old Lady running out in front of me and i've never swerved. The Child received a few bruises and the Old Lady a broken pelvis but on both occasions i prevented head on collisions with on coming traffic.

Swerve left instead of right.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Excel said:

No doubt simply driving without due care and a brain

His story of events is entirely plausible, that road is dimly lit and it is possible the scooter did not have a functioning taillight and he simply did not the scooter until it was to late and swerved to avoid.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Still must have been going a fair rate of knots. I usually travel beach road around 30-40 k's, too many speed bumps to go any faster.

"Still must have been going a fair rate of knots." is pure speculation.

I can see the incident as described being entirely plausible even at such a slow speed of 40km/h....

Should I  jump on the "all Thai's are idiot drivers" bandwagon instead ?

20 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

"Still must have been going a fair rate of knots." is pure speculation.

I can see the incident as described being entirely plausible even at such a slow speed of 40km/h....

Should I  jump on the "all Thai's are idiot drivers" bandwagon instead ?

Call 'em as you see 'em. Maybe it was a case of "brake fail".

Edited by giddyup

1 hour ago, Andy from Kent said:

Avoiding excessive speed, if that's the case, will diminish the need for either braking or swerving.

Particularly at this stretch which looks like the very south end of beach rd. (after Chaiyaphruek). It is is quite narrow (and the sea so close ????)

During daytime you simply can't speed due to (oncoming) traffic and thoughtless parking.

Edited by KhunBENQ

The drivers story is completely believable. 

Thai motorcycle drivers tend to make left turns without bothering to look to the right, apparently believing that anyone coming from their right will see them and slow down or stop to avoid them.  I have seem many Thai motorcyclists do this, and  I have also seen the resulting bloody carnage in several cases.

59 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Still must have been going a fair rate of knots. I usually travel beach road around 30-40 k's, too many speed bumps to go any faster.

So they must have removed the speed bumps for him, otherwise your comment makes zero sense

Edited by Susco
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

most likely "see" would be the answer you seek and the word you know that I missed..... bored today are you, icreasing your post count ?

Do you mean INcreasing my post count.?

Far from it, what benefit does that do me. I am simply pointing out silly mistakes.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

The drivers story is completely believable. 

Thai motorcycle drivers tend to make left turns without bothering to look to the right, apparently believing that anyone coming from their right will see them and slow down or stop to avoid them.  I have seem many Thai motorcyclists do this, and  I have also seen the resulting bloody carnage in several cases.

Thats a valid point... 

Nearly every time I drive I save a motorcyclists by braking.... (or it feels like that).

They simply cut in front of me or pull out from a side road without looking - IF didn’t brake I’d hit them or it would be very close. 

When riding my bike its worse, they still pull out forcing me to brake. 

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Do you mean INcreasing my post count.?

Far from it, what benefit does that do me. I am simply pointing out silly mistakes.

Yeah I put that spelling mistake in there to criticize, predictably you did !!

• Haha 1