Docs for entry into US?

I read this on the internet.

that a US citizen is required to have a passport card and a Trusted Traveler program card (in addition to the passport).  

What is a passport card, can I get it in Ch Mai; ditto Trusted Traveler Program card.  Do you know of anything else they want?  Thank you.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

A passport card is only needed when entering from Mexico or Canada.

You also are not required to have a trusted traveler card.

You do need a negative covid 19 test to enter at this time.

Thank you

Covid test within 72 hours.

I called about this and a private hospital here told me they will only give me a test if I have proof of a flight out.  Results within 24 hours. So, time it correctly.  If your flight is canceled ( which checking several daily are) you may be stuck past the 72 hours and have to repeat the process.

On January 12, 2021, CDC announced an Order requiring all air passengers arriving to the US from a foreign country to get tested no more than 3 days before their flight departs and to present the negative result or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 to the airline before boarding the flight.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Covid test within 72 hours.

I called about this and a private hospital here told me they will only give me a test if I have proof of a flight out.  Results within 24 hours. So, time it correctly.  If your flight is canceled ( which checking several daily are) you may be stuck past the 72 hours and have to repeat the process.

Repeat the process:  You mean buy a new ticket?  And:  which airlines did you find is most reliable?  And:  you're also flying w/out a vaccine?  Thank you.

Fiance got test without booked flight.  They did ask and she was able to show them a couple proposed flights.  Test at Dr donna clinic soi 49 see other thread about covid test sites.  2600 baht take by 9am results emailed by 6 pm.  Must book online.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Elkski said:

Fiance got test without booked flight.  They did ask and she was able to show them a couple proposed flights.  Test at Dr donna clinic soi 49 see other thread about covid test sites.  2600 baht take by 9am results emailed by 6 pm.  Must book online.  

How did this work? Your fiancee was in BKK?  (Dr Donna's the greatest.)

On 5/1/2021 at 4:58 AM, Captain Monday said:

The covid-19 test needs be taken at least 3 days, not 72 hours from departure from the first embarkation point. Acceptable tests are NAAT, LAMP, RT-PCR, RT-LAMP or TMA

The passport card is not usable for air travel only cruises, road border crossings or something nifty to keep in your wallet. (me). They cost less than passports

A trusted traveller program membership is not needed for entry. There are several. Most US citizens go for "Global Entry". I hear here are long application /renewal delays now because of covid the universal excuse for everything. There are special lines for the Global Entry Kiosks at airports usually shorter. You should also download the Mobile Passport APP. Sometimes this helps to get thru quicker,  pretty long lines for Global Entry on occasion. I use both. 

I wonder if they will extend the program after one year deadline , I fly back 1 week before expiring 

I flew from BKK to Chicago via Doha on Qatar Airways last Friday. I live in Phuket so I went to Bangkok Phuket Hospital on Tuesday morning for my test (3,000 baht) and received the result on Wednesday morning by email. I printed two copies of the lab report from home. For a Friday flight, a test needed be taken on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. 

At check-in in Bangkok I had to show the lab report (they took a picture of it), sign the CDC passenger form, and complete a Qatar contact form. Nothing special was required during my stopover in Doha, but in Chicago I had to show the lab report after immigration and before baggage claim. 

I have Global Entry so my Trusted Traveler number was on my reservation and resulted in TSA precheck being on my domestic boarding pass (I had one more flight after Chicago). 

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2021 at 3:07 AM, ubonjoe said:

A passport card is only needed when entering from Mexico or Canada.

You also are not required to have a trusted traveler card.

You do need a negative covid 19 test to enter at this time.

My understanding is that a Passport card can be used in lieu of a passport when traveling domestically and between the countries mentioned by UJ. If you have a passport it is not needed.

On 5/4/2021 at 7:13 PM, khwaibah said:

Interesting. More useful than I thought. I had no DL and I used my Global Entry card or Passport card to get back into a federal building to pick up a passport last year, don't remember for sure. Guards not at all friendly. I will try to use it on a domestic flight soon.

By the way thanks to the pandemic "The federal Homeland Security Department has decided to again extend the deadline for people to get a Real ID-compliant driver's license. The Oct. 1 deadline this year is now pushed back until May 3, 2023."

As personal identification[edit]

Aside from being unable to be used for international air travel, the passport card is treated as a passport for all other purposes. A United States passport card can be used as primary evidence of United States citizenship, just like a passport booklet,[13] and can be used as a valid proof of citizenship and proof of identity both inside and outside the United States.[14]

Within the United States[edit]

Under the REAL ID Act, the passport card is accepted for federal purposes (such as domestic air travel or entering federal buildings), which may make it an attractive option for people whose driver's licenses and ID cards are not REAL ID-compliant when those requirements go into effect. TSA regulations list the passport card as an acceptable identity document at airport security checkpoints.[15]

Edited by Captain Monday