New restrictions in place in Chonburi, permission needed for travel out of province

snoop1130

Gees, I hope no one decides to do a "Hotel California" quote in this thread. Oh wait, only about 2 dozen of them so far. Maybe 3 dozen now.

It's been minutes since the last one.

Minutes !!!

Meanwhile I haven't heard about any checkpoints actually being set up or people being turned away. Even when they do it, it seems haphazard at best. Like a few months ago when they had a checkpoint on the Suk near the Banglamung Police Station - that only checked people heading into Pattaya.
Meanwhile, the one they had on Highway 36 was only checking people heading towards Rayong, but only in the morning as they stopped checking during the afternoon.

I'm guessing that they are watching the numbers of infections in Chon Buri and if they see a large upwards spike, they'll clamp down on the travel. If the numbers continue to trend down, things will slowly go back to the "new" normal again. Might take a couple weeks though. 

16 hours ago, Tonypandy said:

And with the LPGA golf taking place in Pattaya next week and the best pro female players in the world flying in will they get stuck in the Pattaya Black hole 

They will be far away from central Pattaya and never see it.

Isolated in a bubble and tested in an unknown hotel away from the city.

On 4/30/2021 at 6:54 PM, LazySlipper said:

I live in Rayong... right next to Chonburi and have to go to hospital there on a regular basis... can I go in from Rayong, then out?

Sounds silly but just curious...

Get a document from the hospital showing that you have to go there and that should suffice. But, according to the rules, you'll need to take that to the district office and have them give you permission to leave. Asinine procedure. 

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

May 2: new infections in Chonburi down to 89.

It looks like about 2400 lab tests for random people yesterday, probably a positivity rate below 5%.

I shouldn't raise your hopes too high on the back of those figures.

A continued pathetically low amount of testing will be skewed by people with no symptoms keen to prove they don't have it, rather than those with symptoms keen to get shipped off somewhere for 14 days.

Thailand should at least choose one place to carry out comprehensive surge testing on a large scale, if only to allay concerns and prove, as you hope, that the infection rate is lowish.

But we know that that will not happen.....at least not yet.

24 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Gees, I hope no one decides to do a "Hotel California" quote in this thread. Oh wait, only about 2 dozen of them so far. Maybe 3 dozen now.

It's been minutes since the last one.

Minutes !!!

Meanwhile I haven't heard about any checkpoints actually being set up or people being turned away. Even when they do it, it seems haphazard at best. Like a few months ago when they had a checkpoint on the Suk near the Banglamung Police Station - that only checked people heading into Pattaya.
Meanwhile, the one they had on Highway 36 was only checking people heading towards Rayong, but only in the morning as they stopped checking during the afternoon.

I'm guessing that they are watching the numbers of infections in Chon Buri and if they see a large upwards spike, they'll clamp down on the travel. If the numbers continue to trend down, things will slowly go back to the "new" normal again. Might take a couple weeks though. 

So if I'm heading to the airport next Sunday night, chances are no checks.

My home address is Buriram.

And we know how the police like to go out at night time (not).

8 minutes ago, meltonpie said:

I shouldn't raise your hopes too high on the back of those figures.

A continued pathetically low amount of testing will be skewed by people with no symptoms keen to prove they don't have it, rather than those with symptoms keen to get shipped off somewhere for 14 days.

Thailand should at least choose one place to carry out comprehensive surge testing on a large scale, if only to allay concerns and prove, as you hope, that the infection rate is lowish.

But we know that that will not happen.....at least not yet.

A randomized survey of 2400 tests in one day is sufficient to determine positivity rate, if conducted in a limited area, like Chonburi.

But, I'll bite: what level of testing in Chonburi do you think is sufficient?

12 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

A randomized survey of 2400 tests in one day is sufficient to determine positivity rate, if conducted in a limited area, like Chonburi.

I don't profess to be an epidemiologist, so I can't provide a robust scientific answer for you.

But anecdotally I can say that in the UK when they have cases of new variants pop up - most recently for the South African or Brazilian variants - the aim is to surge test an area by encouraging everyone within the area to take a test within 2 weeks.

So if Pattaya has a population of 105,000 I guess 7,500 tests per day for 2 weeks would do it.

If Thailand could be bothered to at least try it once it would provide more robust data for everyone, and if it were proven that cases are very low I would be delighted.

My concern is that if nothing else, this phase shows that the virus can and does spread within Thailand and that Thai people can catch it.  Something that has always appeared to be discounted previously.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fleccer said:

Last year during the first wave Pattaya city was red zone and you couldn't get in/out without permission do you remember that? Well, this news was all over the media and it was only for a single city. But now that an entire province is involved, no media talks about it. Doesn't it seem strange to you? It seems strange to me, very strange

I remember road blocks on Sukhumvit near Klang and Banglamung Police station, one of which I drove through without any paperwork, just a temperature scan. I also thought that it didn't last very long. 

On 5/1/2021 at 9:17 AM, Skeptic7 said:

Not laughing at anyone. But very few, likely none, lived their lives in a total media fueled fear frenzy pre-pandemic from other cumulative causes which bring survival rate down much lower than Covid...and have been for MUCH longer. Namely preventable heart disease. Also cigs, tobacco, alcohol and drug abuse, BAD  diets, preventable obesity, and driving anywhere...especially motorcycles. 

I get your point, but c'mon...this is over the top and has been for well more than a year now. Life is dangerous and nothing is risk free...especially the game of life. 

Have you been on the front line of any covid hot zones so far? Have you lost Any family or friends who struggled and passed away horribly from the virus? Don't comment from the shelter of wherever you are and say anything being done now is over the top. From my perspective, it is way too lax if we are to get over this pandemic swiftly.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

So if I'm heading to the airport next Sunday night, chances are no checks.

My home address is Buriram.

And we know how the police like to go out at night time (not).

I guess leaving to airport to leave Thailand to your home country could be a reason to get a permission from any authority  , example police or immigration or so , besides you have a ticket to prove that, eventual needed documents  no covid 19 infection for the airlines to allow you to board could be needed.

Edited by david555

22 minutes ago, lks7689 said:

Have you been on the front line of any covid hot zones so far? Have you lost Any family or friends who struggled and passed away horribly from the virus? Don't comment from the shelter of wherever you are and say anything being done now is over the top. From my perspective, it is way too lax if we are to get over this pandemic swiftly.

Have had many family and friends die of myriad causes, including different types of horrendous cancers. Also the love of my life MURDERED. Have always said and always will...every death is a family and friends tragedy, regardless of cause. But it's not international news, nor worthy of shutting down Planet Earth. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Further to my previous reply this chart shows the number of lateral flow tests being carried out daily in England (56 million population)

rapid flow.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Have had many family and friends die of myriad causes, including different types of horrendous cancers. Also the love of my life MURDERED. Have always said and always will...every death is a family and friends tragedy, regardless of cause. But it's not international news, nor worthy of shutting down Planet Earth. 

Agreed. Every single death is a tragedy. But coming up on 4 million deaths is for sure international news and worthy of containment measures.

FYI. The whole planet isn't shut down.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

God forbid the army actually felt compelled to come to the aid of the masses without work. 

As things stand, that would be like having another military coup.  ????

7 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

Is there a link to the necessary paperwork, in Thai and in English? My wife and I are going to City Hall on Monday for allowance to go to Bangkok for a couple of hours.

Last year there were no checkpoints on the Pattaya-Bangkok Motorway, but if you want to be covered just in case, then you will need to go to Banglamung District Office (not City hall). Your wife will need ID card and Tibbian Barn, plus a good reason for your trip. Good luck.

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Agreed. Every single death is a tragedy. But coming up on 4 million deaths is for sure international news and worthy of containment measures.

FYI. The whole planet isn't shut down.

I agree that over 3 million deaths sounds impressive...UNTIL it is measured against the total human population. Even against just the population of the USA, it's only 1%. 1% doesn't sound so impressive...nor does a miniscule fraction of 1%.

FYI..disingenuous, misleading fear-mongering rounding up by almost 800,000 deaths to "nearly 4 million', when in fact that number is presently 3.2 million...much closer to 'nearly' 3 million than 4. 

FYI...much of the world has been severely impacted by shutdowns, lock downs, restrictions of all sorts, etc. Talk to the unemployed, poverty stricken, business owners out of business, parents, teachers and on and on and on and on. 

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Proper math providing correct statistics/percentages are always logical and rational...just not emotional.

And what happens to the global economy if/when Covid-23 or 24 or 25 hits? The effects of just this one will be far reaching and hard hitting for years. Haven't even begun to realize many of those consequences. What happens when government economic manipulation ends? 

18 hours ago, cdemundo said:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-tragedy-of-the-post-covid-long-haulers-2020101521173

"Tens of thousands of people in the United States have lingering illness following COVID-19. In the US, we call them post-COVID “long haulers.” Currently, the condition they are suffering from is known as “long COVID,” although other names are being proposed.

Published studies (see here and here) and surveys conducted by patient groups indicate that 50% to 80% of patients continue to have bothersome symptoms three months after the onset of COVID-19 — even after tests no longer detect virus in their body."

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/02/pattaya-authorities-officially-starts-operating-large-health-screening-checkpoints-to-prevent-domestic-spread-of-covid-19-coronavirus-this-weekend/

Officially, those from outside don’t have to have a permit according to the Chonburi government orders, however, local officials may request essential proof that a visit to the area is needed and require a form from ones local government office. The overall message right now is if you don’t need to travel for a critical reason, don’t.

On 5/1/2021 at 4:31 PM, Quietus said:

This is getting too silly. 77 provinces all with their own rules. No one in overall control.

While all these petty bureaucrats in their various fancy uniforms try to throw their  weight around  they are probably totally unaware that Thailand is actually part of the same land mass as India. The Indian variant has already spread to Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh.

From Bangladesh it will spread through Burma, where there is no longer a functioning health service and into Thailand.

Thailand should seal the borders now! But how much would anyone like to bet that the criminals  in brown are still smuggling migrants across for 500 baht a pop.

This corrupt government has left the whole population in Thailand in terrible danger.

Anyone who can get out should do so as there are very very dark days ahead.

Yes and Burmese are in the run to Thailand because War 

9A006844-3F17-42BC-B4B0-DB38A9B83D6F.png

• Sad 1