Elderly British expat dies of COVID-19 in Hua Hin

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Benmart said:

Died of Covid-19, or with Covid-19?

There are many variables, made more confusing and misleading by the media and government. Pnuemonia, a major cause of death in the elderly, gets little notice, even when acquired in hospital after admission for an unrelated reason. Who knows the truth behind any of this? Death comes to us all... that is for certain.

Of.

9 hours ago, CharlieH said:

"As of Friday, there have been a total of 1,075 cases in the province, with 658 having made a full recovery, while 414 patients are still receiving treatment. "

So whats happened to the other 3 ?

658 + 414 = 1072

Numbers dont add up, seems to be a common trait.

duh........they are the ones that died mate.

Quoted :

Also on Friday, Provincial Governor Phallop Singhasenee said that he expects cases in the province to continue to decline over the coming days.

Thats ironic, Everyone in the District I have spoken with, believes just the opposite. 

People are storming back to Makro and Tesco, stocking up on a months supply of food and water.... 

The 3rd wave just became bigger with Indian Mutation now in Thailand. 

11 hours ago, DavisH said:

Probably other areas of Thailand - Thai family members. This is very common - younger relatives bring home  covid to their elderly relatives, and having them die. 

This is becoming a problem. Kids bring infection home from school, infect parents. Kids loose a parent, sometimes both parents get sick. In multi generation households grandparents are at risk as well. Talking about situation in Europe. Won't be different in Thailand. 

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, obviously, particularly if you make it over 80. But in reality it's probably rare to literally die of old age. Old age makes a person more vulnerable but usually it's something like heart disease, cancer, Alzheimers, stroke, or in this case Covid-19.

... heart disease, cancer, etc. ...

These are of course the defects of old age as the body conks out due to wear and tear and genetic mutation.

AT 65 I already experience being on a downward trajectory. I'm nowhere near as fit and resilient as I was at 45, even if I am still pretty chipper for my age.

Fact is I'm wearing out. On a downward parabola, below my peak. I can only keep the parabola as flat as possible as long as possible through a good lifestyle, check-ups, physical exercise etc.

But I have no illusions. I'm not getting old, I'm already dying.

Covid could easily end the timeline abruptly.

Edited by BusyB

16 hours ago, robblok said:

I know a few people who caught it and it took months for them to recover.

Months? Really? I find that hard to believe.

Even the worst flu or the worst pneumonia is cured within a week or so, unless it kills you. 

What symptoms did they have?

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, covidiot said:

Even the worst flu or the worst pneumonia is cured within a week or so, unless it kills you. 

I'm very surprised you've never heard of "long covid" before? Look it up, here's a starter for 10 https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health/long-covid

4 hours ago, covidiot said:

Research Long Covid.  You might be enlightened. Many studies.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-long-term-effects/art-20490351

5 hours ago, covidiot said:

As others have said, do your own research. Plenty of it in the news. Then again people like you live in a different world so I am not that surprised actually. Seen too many deniers and fools already. Thinking covid is nothing if it does not kill you. Tell that to the people with lung damage. A friend who was an avid tennis player and jogger got it. He had to use a walker for 2 months and then a few more untill he got even close to what he was before. 

Many many such stories out there, the media should bring them more in the attention. At least they do it a lil bit in the Dutch newspapers. Yesterday i laughed my ass off (sorry but if idiots get in trouble they deserve it) a lady who was against all the covid rules and demonstrated against it got Covid. Was in the hospital severe reaction. After that she shut up about covid not being a problem. Sometimes karma is a bitch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Religious people should prove there is a heaven not the other way around. Its hard to prove that something does not exist.

I'm a true believer in there is a tomorrow,  but I can't prove it

11 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

I'm a true believer in there is a tomorrow,  but I can't prove it

When my eyes open and my feet hit the ground after having slept, it is the only way I truly know the next day exists, but then I could have woken up dead and be in heaven, whose to know. Is this heaven or hell where we currently are.  Could this be purgatory, well your guess is as good as mine.  Dying of old age is what I want, not dying from a shortened life due to covid exacerbating my medical condition of diabetes which I have under control, well at least my tests show I do.

8 hours ago, covidiot said:

It's actually one of the more salient features of CoVid-19 that so many people have long-term sequelae (after-effects).  It's also one of the main things that makes it so very different from flu or other respiratory ailments.

According to the UK government website linked to below:

Approximately 1 in 10 people with COVID-19 continue to experience symptoms beyond 12 weeks.

[...] common symptoms of long COVID include breathlessness, headaches, cough, fatigue and cognitive impairment or ‘brain fog’.

There is also emerging evidence that some people experience organ damage.

Long Covid in the UK

As stated on another UK site from the Office of National Statistics (ONS) there are an estimated 1.1 million people in the UK alone suffering from long COVID and  these long-term effects can indeed last for months - sometimes almost indefinitely.

Of people with self-reported long COVID, 697,000 first had (or suspected they had) COVID-19 at least 12 weeks previously, and 70,000 first had (or suspected they had) COVID-19 at least one year previously.

Prevalence of ongoing symptoms following coronavirus infection

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

It's actually one of the more salient features of CoVid-19 that so many people have long-term sequelae (after-effects).  It's also one of the main things that makes it so very different from flu or other respiratory ailments.

According to the UK government website linked to below:

As stated on another UK site from the Office of National Statistics (ONS) there are an estimated 1.1 million people in the UK alone suffering from long COVID and  these long-term effects can indeed last for months - sometimes almost indefinitely.

Prevalence of ongoing symptoms following coronavirus infection

I am nearly certain my wife and I have had Covid at least once, if not more than once. We are both in our 40s and otherwise very healthy. However we both have lingering symptoms like occasional difficulty breathing and headaches. This is many months after I suspect we were infected. At some point I want to get tested to confirm if we had a past infection or not but this is not the time or place.

While I am grateful neither of us had lethal or what you'd call severe problems, still whatever it was it seems to have altered our DNA itself and there'll be no such thing as a full recovery.  One issue is it appears even past infections don't protect you entirely from new strains. The vaccines are the world's best hope which is why it is all the more maddening to witness the colossal buffoonery of Thai government leadership's failure gathering vaccines and doling them out. Everyday it's a new mandate, new excuses and new people to blame. Meanwhile they parade around in military uniforms and treat themselves to the better vaccines while telling the people you'll take what you can get.

• Like 2

In my opinion, those "fully recovered" statistics need to be taken with a large grain of salt, if only because of the lack of diagnostic capacity outside of the best hospitals in the capitol. Few, if any, regional or local government hospitals, (which are the only healthcare facilities a large percentage of the population has access to) have the capacity to properly diagnose long-haul symptoms such as loss of sense of smell, subtle respiratory and cardio-vascular irregularities, general fatigue, dizziness or to provide long-term palliative care.

People who are still poo-pooing this epidemic after what has already happened in so many countries really make my blood boil. It is incredibly irresponsible. Look at what is happening in India right now. Anyone who has ever set foot in a rural hospital in Thailand knows how potentially vulnerable Thailand is, and that the exact same thing or worse could easily happen here.

• Like 1