Pervasive leaf parasite

We have started growing a variety of edibles and the herbs, chilli's etc are all doing quite well. However our tomatoes and okra are suffering from kind of leaf parasite (see pic) and we don't know how to get rid of it.

Any ideas what it is and how to get rid of it?

IMG_2174.thumb.jpg.c83fa4354333002564f860c1dedf5070.jpg

On 4/30/2021 at 8:37 AM, stubuzz said:

Leaf miners?

Yes.  

Attached article from "Home Guides" has some management info.

My approach, start with good soil and water management to build resistance to pests and diseases. Avoid high NPK chemical fertilizers and hard chemistry insecticides. Use COF (mineralized, slow release, complete organic fertilizer), be sure that your COF has a calcium component. )

Spray a botanical pest repellent weekly during pest activity season, like Azadirachtin (neem seed oil extract, repellent, anti-feedant, reproductive disruptor)  

บริษัท ผลิตภัณฑ์สะเดาไทย จำกัด : Inspired by LnwShop.com (thaineem.co.th)

Aza.jpg

How to Control Leaf Miners on a Tomato Plant.docx Bokashi fertilizer.docx

You can prevent leaf miners taking over but once they are in there protected by the leaf itself, you will need a systemic pesticide, which you might object to if you want healthy vegetables (I might spray earlier on but once the fruits are forming I might just start again).

I occasionally use "Jacket" which contains, I think, Abamectin.

Jacket.jpg

On 5/1/2021 at 11:33 PM, drtreelove said:

Yes.  

Attached article from "Home Guides" has some management info.

My approach, start with good soil and water management to build resistance to pests and diseases. Avoid high NPK chemical fertilizers and hard chemistry insecticides. Use COF (mineralized, slow release, complete organic fertilizer), be sure that your COF has a calcium component. )

Spray a botanical pest repellent weekly during pest activity season, like Azadirachtin (neem seed oil extract, repellent, anti-feedant, reproductive disruptor)  

บริษัท ผลิตภัณฑ์สะเดาไทย จำกัด : Inspired by LnwShop.com (thaineem.co.th)

Aza.jpg

How to Control Leaf Miners on a Tomato Plant.docx 15.75 kB · 0 downloads Bokashi fertilizer.docx 59.06 kB · 0 downloads

Brilliant mate, just what I was looking for. I've ordered a liter of the above so we should have it by the weekend - it may be too late to save the tomatoes unfortunately but we'll get planting again ASAP.

As for the bokashi, I checked the link but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to buy it, I checked the Totto website and it's not a listed product. In place of this I've ordered some Neem bean potting soil which I hope does the trick.

2 hours ago, 3STTW said:

Brilliant mate, just what I was looking for. I've ordered a liter of the above so we should have it by the weekend - it may be too late to save the tomatoes unfortunately but we'll get planting again ASAP.

As for the bokashi, I checked the link but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to buy it, I checked the Totto website and it's not a listed product. In place of this I've ordered some Neem bean potting soil which I hope does the trick.

Potting soil is one thing and complete organic fertilizer is another. Good potting soil is important and the neem meal ingredient should be a good thing, but potting soil usually does not contain complete nutrition, unless formulated with mineral and biological amendments.  Use the potting soil but add some COF.

Call or email the contact person at Totto and ask for ordering information.  I've never ordered online because we lived near the shop where they make it.  But a member from the Farming Forum ordered some recently.  

My friends at 'Best Garden State' will have their high quality organic fertilizer blends up and running soon and available through Lazada, a website and their Facebook page. 

"We are delayed with the online sales due to the upgrades of the factory but it will all come up this month. 
And through a facebookshop under Best Garden State."