Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

Ugghh.

I don't know anyone with a thai id card, whole different social circle.

If I was you best bet would be to contact your medical insurance who may guide you to a vaccine. Or, start looking at hospital websites, they will usually post stuff about vaccinations with times and what paperwork you need to bring.

The government route sounds iffy. I can't see that working out unless you are juiced in with a thai id, thai drivers license, that sort of thing.

You could also look for free clinics opening up and show up with your thai gf to see what happens.

I used to have a gf and when I went to see the doctor in the countryside she would sign for me for free medical like a thai gets ????. It happens here if someone is on your side. The rules are flexible unlike in many stricter countries.

On 5/4/2021 at 4:15 PM, Jingthing said:

A few things. 

The Thailand priority scheme is not the same as the U.S. but you are correct, they do have a priority scheme.

Your implication that Thailand's scheme is treating Thais and non-Thais the same simply doesn't reflect the reality at all. 

The current online booking tools were not designed to register non-Thais but it so happens that some non-Thais figured out how to do so anyway. 

So some have bookings.

Hopefully all of those bookings will be honored and not cancelled, but we don't know. 

The majority of expats don't even have the needed Thai i.d. number anyway for that tool in the first place. So for them, impossible to do online. 

The bookings right now on that tool are supposed to be for the HIGH RISK group. Age 60 and over and a list of specific health conditions. Bookings in MAY to start JUNE. 
Some expats have been able to book manually, particularly in smaller places like villages, etc.

But in general expats that only have passports and can't use the current online tool can't manually register at medical facilities at all and are overwhelmingly and very consistently being told, not for you now, for you it's booking in July for August, in effect EXCLUDING the majority of HIGH RISK expats from any chance of a booking.

Private hospitals have no doses and can't say when they might have them, so they can't make specific bookings, period.

We also have many reports of private hospitals telling people that expats will be on the same schedule as above assuming they get doses -- booking in July for August, again excluding HIGH RISK expats from the earlier phase starting in June.

You say "anyone can register at any time."

NO. NO. NO. 

That is just totally wrong. 

You are right that a registration tool targeted for expats has apparently been said to be coming.

But no schedule. No time estimate. 

The reality on the ground is that because OVERWHELMINGLY people making direct inquiries are being told the plan for expats is book starting in JULY, for doses starting in AUGUST.

Again, in effect at this point in time, there is no logical conclusion to come to other than HIGH RISK expats are for most part being EXCLUDED from being in the earlier time (JUNE) priority group and that is for Thais, with a minority of exceptions as described above. In my estimation it's probably a very small minority of exceptions. 

again you continue to completely misread what I said, and it was just announced that in fact ALL foreigners are going to be able to be vaccinated. you should give the system just a bit of time to work things out, instead of just going off the rails on this subject. 

I never said that Thailand rollout was EXACTLY like US, however I said that so far, it was extremely close to how US rolled out their vaccination plan, so I would expect something similar, vs how you quoted with nothing by hysteria to go by.

The US rollout in fact was not a complete mess, I am here in the US, and experienced the entire year+. You are falling for the continued media hype, along with misreading just about everything. Never did I state "anyone can register at any time," for Thailand, but in US that is 100 percent true, I am here in US and I know that for a fact. Of course it was not true on day 1, but this is where we are at now in the US.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Trvlr55 said:

again you continue to completely misread what I said, and it was just announced that in fact ALL foreigners are going to be able to be vaccinated. you should give the system just a bit of time to work things out, instead of just going off the rails on this subject. 

I never said that Thailand rollout was EXACTLY like US, however I said that so far, it was extremely close to how US rolled out their vaccination plan, so I would expect something similar, vs how you quoted with nothing by hysteria to go by.

The US rollout in fact was not a complete mess, I am here in the US, and experienced the entire year+. You are falling for the continued media hype, along with misreading just about everything. Never did I state "anyone can register at any time," for Thailand, but in US that is 100 percent true, I am here in US and I know that for a fact. Of course it was not true on day 1, but this is where we are at now in the US.

Based on the incredibly extreme nature of the FLIP FLOPPING announcements in recent days, sorry, dude, there is no rational reason to actually believe any announcements unless and until ACTIONS on the ground happen or don't happen to prove any particular announcement du jour.

Also and I'm not blaming you for this at all, you clearly haven't followed my more recent posts and POV about this. 

Which boiled down is basically 

Hurry up and wait 

They promise a separate online tool for us? Great! Let's see it. When will see it? All we can do is wait.

It's my opinion that even people that have have the needed number for the existing Thai booking system shouldn't even bother trying anymore. Up to them of course.

Keep monitoring any developments at private hospitals for paid jabs which most expats prefer as they will probably have a more popular brand and or a choice. 

Keep our embassies in the loop. Encourage them to advocate for us going forward until this all gets resolved one way or another. 

I am not looking to argue with you or anyone.  I am looking for there to be total access to jabs for expats whether free and/or paid in a reasonably timely manner.

Particularly for high risk expats who face a situation where any delays based on their nationality may be more likely to have grave consequences. 

Edited by Jingthing

This article was just released here:

Explainer: Thailand's vaccine plans and rollout timeline | Thai PBS World : The latest Thai news in English, News Headlines, World News and News Broadcasts in both Thai and English. We bring Thailand to the world

If accurate, it tells us a lot.

In the context of this expat access in Pattaya, reading from that article. 

If you managed to register online with "pink card" ID number as an over 60 / certain condition high risk person you will be eligible for the jabs in the category of permanent resident.

Of course that's clear as mud because we all know actual permanent residents from an immigration standpoint are likely a small subset of people that hold pink cards.

Will the health authorities make any distinction between actual permanent residents and those with pink cards that are not? I have no idea. My guess is no. 

Moving on as most expats in Pattaya clearly don't have pink cards, and a lot of us are over 60 and / or have a high risk condition.

According to this we are officially out of luck for the June jabs. Explicitly not included.

As far as later registrations they begin in July for beginning in August doses. But expat inclusion in that not yet specified.

The brands will be Sinovac and Astra Zenica.

Pay for jabs private hospital options? Maybe Moderna. Timeline unknown. Expat access unknown.

No mention in this article of the "promised" for foreigner specific booking tool. 

Registration criteria for us regular expats ... UNDETERMINED. 

From the link:

For non-citizens, only pink card holders (Permanent Residents), who are either 60 or older or have any of the seven health problems mentioned above can register now for vaccination in June or July. Registration results have varied, with many hospitals still not accepting non-Thais.

The vaccination of foreign dignitaries will be on a voluntary basis.

The criteria and plans for future vaccination of other non-Thai citizens remain unclear.

Overall, things seem to be starting to be made more clear on the overall vaccine supply situation and national strategy. But the details of access for us regular expats remains depressingly vague.

Before I said hurry up and wait, but who knows what that necessary waiting will actually bring. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2021 at 3:56 AM, Jingthing said:

Well I do understand your point. It seems we hear one thing one day, and the complete opposite thing the next day. How is the public supposed to coherently process all that? It's almost impossible.

That's everyday life in Thailand, you should be used to it by now.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 5:08 PM, Bradmeister said:

but you were required (or most of us have) to present a certificate of residence starting last year by your local I/O  to renew your driver's licenses

Not a requirement from last year, but for the 25 years I've been getting driving licences in Thailand.

• Like 1

The Point here is: As of last September, all non thais here, including Western, Middle Eastern,  European and Asian residents were required to have a yellow book and a resident card (pink card) with your Thai ID number on it!

Really?? Doesn't sound right somehow.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 7:27 PM, Golden Triangle said:

As far as I know, without having to unlock the place and get my licence from the car the only number on my driving licence is my passport number.

Your licence has a unique number, it's the purplish block just under the blue block at the top of the licence.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 9:34 PM, Jingthing said:

To add there is another potential great benefit of hearing a clear and official policy statement from the Thai government on their policy about high risk foreigners. If they did say we are definitely not going to include all high risk foreigners in the high risk earlier phase priority group, then expats would have a much stronger case to appeal our embassies for help. 

Like you embassies would care!!!

Useless bureaucrats.

Jingthing,

... you still say "Foreigners "

Its unbeknownst to me that you have existed in this living bubble of yours in Pattaya, Thailand for so so long without a Thai ID of any kind.

So, ill presume you never applied for a drivers License? After the first year, you were required to re-apply for a 5 year. Thereafter another 5 years..... . 

The Department of Land and Transportation has furnished you with a number that should not be your Passport number. 

As you also should know, maybe this was delayed in Chon Buri.... but you were required (or most of us have) to present a certificate of residence starting last year by your local I/O  to renew your driver's licenses.....

The Point here is: As of last September, all non thais here, including Western, Middle Eastern,  European and Asian residents were required to have a yellow book and a resident card (pink card) with your Thai ID number on it!

This is the number that gives all residents, travel, hotel, banking, parks, and even PTT and PT cards for gas points, promotions and discounts.

This same card is what I open bank accounts with and use in any government Thai ID number account.

@Bradmeister"The Point here is: As of last September, all non thais here, including Western, Middle Eastern,  European and Asian residents were required to have a yellow book and a resident card (pink card) with your Thai ID number on it"!

Nonsense, there has never been any such requirement.

"As you also should know, maybe this was delayed in Chon Buri.... but you were required (or most of us have) to present a certificate of residence starting last year by your local I/O  to renew your driver's licenses....."

This has been a requirement for the past twenty one years at least.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Your licence has a unique number, it's the purplish block just under the blue block at the top of the licence.

To expand on that. The pink area shows the drivers license, DL number. If you have a second DL for an MC, it will have a different DL number.

The other number displayed with your personal info is your personal ID number. Mine is my 13 digit Thai ID number starting with  6- because I have a yellow tabien ban, otherwise it will be a passport number.

Edited by rabas
  • Thanks 1

Keeping with the point in my O.P., when it comes to vaccine access for expats -- LOCATION matters.

I have noticed news of localized vaccine outreaches in other areas that appear to be targeting expats. Namely: Phuket, Samui, Chiang Mai. 

I have not heard anything as yet like that in Pattaya. 
I wonder why?

Pattaya is very major center of long term expat residents, particularly retirees. Of course there are many working expats here as well. 

During the earlier phases of the pandemic it seemed to be mostly expat owned businesses that were organizing free food giveaways to struggling Thais.

That seemed to have stopped. Either those businesses are gone, they don't have the money to do that any more, and/or most of the struggling Thais have gone back to their home provinces.

Also many of the tourism related businesses that are still open here (most aren't of course) have been thrown a lifeline by resident expats.

So whether we're valued here or not by the powers that be here, nobody can deny expats have been and still are an important and visible local demographic.

So I'm a little surprised that we haven't heard of outreaches to the expats here as we hear about in Samui, etc.

Of course, if/when there are any such future developments, I trust they will be reported about on this forum, one way or another.

Please continue to post here for any credible news or credible reports about developments in access to vaccines for expats in Pattaya.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

All I ever hear when it comes to vaccinations is Thais & Expats.

A forgotten group is all the migrant workers from neighbouring countries.

Nobody is safe until we are all safe.

Obviously the majority of any group of people living in Thailand should be vaccinated. 

But not every topic is about everything.

This is an expat forum.

The main audience here is expats. Certainly not migrant workers. 

The specific topic right here is access to vaccines by expats in Pattaya.

Edited by Jingthing

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So I'm a little surprised that we haven't heard of outreaches to the expats here as we hear about in Samui, etc.

Perhaps because here there is a substantial number to deal with and they already fear the logistics.... in Samui, they can make these wild claims and proposals as they know there is nobody to take them up on it. 

There's conspiracy for you!

Two things,

I have some friends north of Korat, a couple of those are long time teachers ( 20 years each) they have both registered at the newish city hospital, appointments in early June, I asked what vaccine will it be ? They have no idea at this time, so I posed the question, will you actually be jabbed ? What vaccine ? If it's the nasty Chinese one will you take it or walk away ? They said we'll get back to you on that one ????

Yesterday I registered my self and the other half at Pattaya Memorial hospital, they are taking email registration for 'hopefully' the Moderna vaccine sometime in June or July, send family name, 1st name, D.O.B. passport number & telephone number, Include Thai wife or gf in the same email. I don't think I'm allowed to post there email address here but Google will help ????

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Yesterday I registered my self and the other half at Pattaya Memorial hospital, they are taking email registration for 'hopefully' the Moderna vaccine sometime in June or July, send family name, 1st name, D.O.B. passport number & telephone number, Include Thai wife or gf in the same email. I don't think I'm allowed to post there email address here but Google will help ????

Thank you so much for your report about Pattaya Memorial Hospital.

A June or July timeline sounds very different from what we've heard elsewhere which is about October. Very welcome if true but who knows?

Did your Thai other half call first to learn how to register? Do you think your registration is linked to hers? In other words it sounds from your post that you only have a passport not Thai pink card, so I wonder if they would register a solo expat with passport only?

Parents of Thai wife (over 60) got booked for dates in mid June, No other Thai I knows around working age managed to book via the 'Mor Chana' app, either showing no dates until July and no more or 'Ineligible age group yet' 

So with most of the Thai populations still only able to 'register their interest' and no visible action... don't get your hopes up

Edited by digbeth

16 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Parents of Thai wife (over 60) got booked for dates in mid June, No other Thai I knows around working age managed to book via the 'Mor Chana' app, either showing no dates until July and no more or 'Ineligible age group yet' 

So with most of the Thai populations still only able to 'register their interest' and no visible action... don't get your hopes up

Yes, it's well understood that current online registration booking for June jabs is for high risk groups: Over 60 or having certain medical conditions.

Of course a very significant percentage of Pattaya expats are over 60.

Some have the pink card (or alternative Thai number, not driver's license) but many have only their PASSPORTS.

So have Pattaya expats with the pink card that are in the high risk groups been able to register online at Pattaya area hospitals, or not?

While personally I don't have the needed Thai number, the purpose of this thread is to keep updating the current situation for all Pattaya expats.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Thank you so much for your report about Pattaya Memorial Hospital.

A June or July timeline sounds very different from what we've heard elsewhere which is about October. Very welcome if true but who knows?

Did your Thai other half call first to learn how to register? Do you think your registration is linked to hers? In other words it sounds from your post that you only have a passport not Thai pink card, so I wonder if they would register a solo expat with passport only?

An email is all that is required, I called them first to confirm that it's true, which it was yesterday PM, it's a private hospital, I have used it before many years ago,  only have a passport, I rang to find out if I could add the Mrs, they said yes, add anyone you like ie if married with kids or whatever floats your boat, the time frame June/July could move TIT as can the cost, again TIT, but the Moderna vaccine was mentioned which I'm quite happy with.

It may not be available until October, but I have my name down now & as I have been waiting since the back end of last year till now is not really a problem as far as I can see.

The email is: [email protected], if the mods take it down so be it, use Google ????

• Thanks 1