Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

There seems to be an alarming sort of hysteria  in this topic....and others.

Number ! reality ....Thailand has a limited  amount of  vaccine on hand...for anyone.

My interpretation quite independent of  various public relations announcements  is that there is a juggling act/process  happening in an attempt  to  cover the basics of various bases.

I am officially registered  as a recipient  for vaccination but have no indication as to the time frame as to when will receive. I am satisfied  that at least I am on a list alongside Thai who have no greater or lesser priority than myself  at this moment in the process.

In the interim wait I am willing  to  commit and submit to practical measures of avoidance of infection.

I venture out to procure whatever is required to sustain a normal level of existence other than unnecessary  socialization with strangers and adhere to standard hygiene practices during and after the event.

I will continue to do same even after such time as receiving  a vaccination in support of best practice and being aware that even after vaccination I could still acquire a non threatening infection to myself but  could  possibly  pass it to someone  not yet vaccinated.

In my  whole life I have strived to adhere to the humanitarian principle that every one has the right to do as they want..so long as it  does not ever do harm to another.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Parents of Thai wife (over 60) got booked for dates in mid June, No other Thai I knows around working age managed to book via the 'Mor Chana' app, either showing no dates until July and no more or 'Ineligible age group yet' 

So with most of the Thai populations still only able to 'register their interest' and no visible action... don't get your hopes up

Me & Mrs G T were watching the Thai morning news on 3HD this morning, I don't speak Thai, sometimes no need, the video says it all ???? Anyway, Mrs G T said that over 5 million had registered for the jab already, but guess what ? Yep, you win the coconut, they don't have enough vaccines ????????????

Seriously, if it wasn't so damn serious it could be funny.

10 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

An email is all that is required, I called them first to confirm that it's true, which it was yesterday PM, it's a private hospital, I have used it before many years ago,  only have a passport, I rang to find out if I could add the Mrs, they said yes, add anyone you like ie if married with kids or whatever floats your boat, the time frame June/July could move TIT as can the cost, again TIT, but the Moderna vaccine was mentioned which I'm quite happy with.

It may not be available until October, but I have my name down now & as I have been waiting since the back end of last year till now is not really a problem as far as I can see.

The email is: [email protected], if the mods take it down so be it, use Google ????

Thanks. Seems worth checking out  if it is true that they will have Moderna that soon  that would be big news.

Their email is on their FB page so not exactly classified info.

https://m.facebook.com/โรงพยาบาลพัทยาเมโมเรียล-100722065528788

On 5/7/2021 at 11:51 AM, Jingthing said:

Based on the incredibly extreme nature of the FLIP FLOPPING announcements in recent days, sorry, dude, there is no rational reason to actually believe any announcements unless and until ACTIONS on the ground happen or don't happen to prove any particular announcement du jour.

Also and I'm not blaming you for this at all, you clearly haven't followed my more recent posts and POV about this. 

Which boiled down is basically 

Hurry up and wait 

They promise a separate online tool for us? Great! Let's see it. When will see it? All we can do is wait.

It's my opinion that even people that have have the needed number for the existing Thai booking system shouldn't even bother trying anymore. Up to them of course.

Keep monitoring any developments at private hospitals for paid jabs which most expats prefer as they will probably have a more popular brand and or a choice. 

Keep our embassies in the loop. Encourage them to advocate for us going forward until this all gets resolved one way or another. 

I am not looking to argue with you or anyone.  I am looking for there to be total access to jabs for expats whether free and/or paid in a reasonably timely manner.

Particularly for high risk expats who face a situation where any delays based on their nationality may be more likely to have grave consequences. 

"Particularly for high risk expats who face a situation where any delays based on their nationality may be more likely to have grave consequences."

Specific nationalities? Graver consequences  than for copious numbers of high risk Thai nationals ?

3 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

"Particularly for high risk expats who face a situation where any delays based on their nationality may be more likely to have grave consequences."

Specific nationalities? Graver consequences  than for copious numbers of high risk Thai nationals ?

Sorry you failed to get the point. This is Thailand. Obvioiusly high risk Thais are included in the priority timing for June jabs. Other nationalities means non Thais. This topic is about vaccine access for expats. It isn't really about migrant workers. The Thai authorities have had specific programs for them. Best regards.

2 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

I do see where he is coming from even if you don't, I have a friend from the UK who I have been mates with for possibly close to 40 years, he lives up north, at 76 he is still no closer to getting the vaccine, he smokes, he likes a drink & also looks after 3 rai of land his house is built on, built like a racing snake, I would say he's in the at risk category, wouldn't you ?

I have another friend here, 82 years old, been here for 40+ years, likes a couple of beers, what about him ?

Another friend from the USA, 78, been here donkeys years already, smokes like a trooper & also likes a few beers, another candidate ?

Me a youthful 68, don't smoke but likes a beer or 2, been here 10 years, so not worthy in your book then, thanks for your support.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sorry you failed to get the point. This is Thailand. Obvioiusly high risk Thais are included in the priority timing for June jabs. Other nationalities means non Thais. This topic is about vaccine access for expats. It isn't really about migrant workers. The Thai authorities have had specific programs for them. Best regards.

I still must be missing the point.

I know of many expats  who have been "generically" been included in local  vaccination proposals with  no indication  of lesser or lower status  but conditional for all on availability of  vaccine. I also know of one expat who has already received first shot of vaccine as an individual in such a process with  no discriminatory criteria of  nationality, social status, age or  medical  risk status .I admit that I  can not reconcile that reality with  grand "proposals" announced  from on high  but I know a little of the reality of what is actually quietly happening.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I do see where he is coming from even if you don't, I have a friend from the UK who I have been mates with for possibly close to 40 years, he lives up north, at 76 he is still no closer to getting the vaccine, he smokes, he likes a drink & also looks after 3 rai of land his house is built on, built like a racing snake, I would say he's in the at risk category, wouldn't you ?

I have another friend here, 82 years old, been here for 40+ years, likes a couple of beers, what about him ?

Another friend from the USA, 78, been here donkeys years already, smokes like a trooper & also likes a few beers, another candidate ?

Me a youthful 68, don't smoke but likes a beer or 2, been here 10 years, so not worthy in your book then, thanks for your support.

I do see your point, but the fact is, foreigners are held in very little regard here. 

There is no reasonable pathway to residency and citizenship here.  The 12 month retirement visa is really just a long tourist visa. 

What country would vaccinate tourists before their own citizens?

Edited by Leaver

8 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I do see your point, but the fact is, foreigners are help in very little regard here. 

There is no reasonable pathway to residency and citizenship here.  The 12 month retirement visa is really just a long tourist visa. 

Nobody is asking for before. That's a red herring. 

29 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

I still must be missing the point.

I know of many expats  who have been "generically" been included in local  vaccination proposals with  no indication  of lesser or lower status  but conditional for all on availability of  vaccine. I also know of one expat who has already received first shot of vaccine as an individual in such a process with  no discriminatory criteria of  nationality, social status, age or  medical  risk status .I admit that I  can not reconcile that reality with  grand "proposals" announced  from on high  but I know a little of the reality of what is actually quietly happening.

Yeah you are still missing the point. Nobody has denied that SOME high risk expats are being included on the same time line as high risk Thais. But many others have failed to have access for different reasons. Most commonly not having the Thai number necessary for online registration and only having passport ID. Or not being lucky enough to live in a village where expats are included or a place like Samui where there appears to be a specific outreach to expats.

Pattaya which THIS topic is about is not a small village and as yet no targeted outreach to expats like Samui.

Just now, Jingthing said:

Red herring.

Can you name something an expat on a 12 month retirement visa can do that a tourist on a 30 day visa exemption stamp can't do, other than staying longer the 30 days?  

13 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Can you name something an expat on a 12 month retirement visa can do that a tourist on a 30 day visa exemption stamp can't do, other than staying longer the 30 days?  

Your question is irrelevant to the topic here so no Interest, no response.

It was recently announced that 3 main vaccination centres will be set up for Pattaya residents  , one being Bangkok Hospital and another being the stadium for "South Pattaya residents and Jomtien beach " .

My question is :-  does this cover "Na Jomtien "    because officially my address is Na Jomtien , Sattahip ??   Is Na Jomtien outside the area designated as " Pattaya "    and if so what is the situation for Na Jomtien ?? 

6 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

It was recently announced that 3 main vaccination centres will be set up for Pattaya residents  , one being Bangkok Hospital and another being the stadium for "South Pattaya residents and Jomtien beach " .

My question is :-  does this cover "Na Jomtien "    because officially my address is Na Jomtien , Sattahip ??   Is Na Jomtien outside the area designated as " Pattaya "    and if so what is the situation for Na Jomtien ?? 

Can you point me to the links?

The key point for this topic is whether those centers include expats or not. 

If they don't include expats they have nothing to do with this topic.

I'm pretty sure I recall reading that the stadium one was for Thais only.

But as we all know keeping track of the vaccine situation for expats here is challenging as it's a moving target.

Edited by Jingthing

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Your question is irrelevant to the topic here so no Interest, no response.

Throughout this thread, and others, the topic of why has there been no mention by the Thai government of when foreigners will be eligible to receive a vaccination.  It's been the source of debate.  I merely put forward my opinion on the matter.  

So have any Farangs without any of those Thai ID #s managed to get a shot yet?  Chinese or western?

I can't be bothered to read through 11 pages of the usual nonstop bellyaching and complaining to try figure it out myself.

Edited by shdmn

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Your question should be, "Are foreigners classified as residents?"  

It is relevant to track what proof of residence if any will be required of expats for vaccine access particularly for the passport only crowd. Those with pink cards are probably covered. For others, we just don’t know yet. Another thing we will have to wait to know.

Edited by Jingthing

11 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Throughout this thread, and others, the topic of why has there been no mention by the Thai government of when foreigners will be eligible to receive a vaccination.  It's been the source of debate.  I merely put forward my opinion on the matter.  

Actually they have. Register in August.

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

We don't know yet.

That's because the Thai government doesn't know yet.

Given the tourist areas have a lot of expats, they have to tread carefully.  They wouldn't want to be seen favouring farangs over Thai's, in a possible life and death situation.  

I think they will handle it in true Thai style.  An announcement "Foreigners will be vaccinated along side Thai's and for free" but in the fine print there will be forms to fill out and hoops to jump through, so as to "meter out" the vaccine to foreigners slowly here, so not to draw too much attention.

6 minutes ago, Leaver said:

That's because the Thai government doesn't know yet.

Given the tourist areas have a lot of expats, they have to tread carefully.  They wouldn't want to be seen favouring farangs over Thai's, in a possible life and death situation.  

I think they will handle it in true Thai style.  An announcement "Foreigners will be vaccinated along side Thai's and for free" but in the fine print there will be forms to fill out and hoops to jump through, so as to "meter out" the vaccine to foreigners slowly here, so not to draw too much attention.

We shall see. 

I'm trying to focus now on practical facts that are knowable now and future facts that will be knowable later.

Theories and predictions not so much.

You can't get injections of speculation.

Edited by Jingthing

25 minutes ago, shdmn said:

So have any Farangs without any of those Thai ID #s managed to get a shot yet?  Chinese or western?

I can't be bothered to read through 11 pages of the usual nonstop bellyaching and complaining to try figure it out myself.

Talking about expats in Pattaya area, it's fair to say in general no. There could have been some unusual special exceptions for some special people but again no.

If you only have a passport you'll have to hurry up and wait.

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm trying to focus now on practical facts that are knowable now

Which will change tomorrow.

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

and future facts that will be knowable later.

Theories and predictions not so much.

Huh?

There's nothing wrong with forming a hypothesis.  

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Which will change tomorrow.

Huh?

There's nothing wrong with forming a hypothesis.  

The point of this topic is sharing practical information about access to vaccines for expats in the Pattaya area.

43 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Not that I know of, and I think it unlikely the Thai ID for foreigners will be the deciding factor for vaccination.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The point of this topic is sharing practical information about access to vaccines for expats in the Pattaya area.

Since the decision that vaccines will not be sold to private entities, that means the Thai government will control access.  They may vaccinate foreigners on their next 90 day report, away from the public view.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I do see your point, but the fact is, foreigners are held in very little regard here. 

I never said anything about vaccinating tourists or long term residents before Thais, so where you got that idea from God only knows, I have no idea what country you are from and frankly I don't care, but in the UK the roll out ( as far as I know, cos I'm here not there ) was based on age & vulnerability to the virus, not your immigration status in the UK, so at the start of the vaccine rollout people over 75 or 80 ( I can't remember ) were included, that Also Included illegal immigrants & old people from abroad visiting family caught up in the lockdown, But here farang rates on a par with vagrants & the homeless.

Welcome to the land of the stupid.

27 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Since the decision that vaccines will not be sold to private entities, that means the Thai government will control access.  They may vaccinate foreigners on their next 90 day report, away from the public view.  

You are more stupid than I thought was possible for one individual.