Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Don't put words in my mouth. Be patient. Hurry up and wait. Things will become clear over time. 

This is not an instant quick fix kind of thing. 

They have had months and months.  The farang vaccination issue was always going to have to be addressed.  

Of course eventually a decision will be made.  I put forward one scenario of what it may look like.  Do you have a possible scenario?

You criticize members and call for them to stick to the facts, but the fact is, there are no facts. 

To date, there has been no government decision, nor press releases.    

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

If and with you that's a very big IF you had bothered reading what the Mayor said sometime mid week that only THAIS registered in the Chonburi/Banglamung area would be vaccinated, not a word about foreign residents Burmese, Lao, Vietnamese or farang.  

That can not remain the case forever.  At some stage they will have to address the issue of non Thai's being vaccinated here.  

Would you care to put forward a scenario of what that might look like?  

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

They have had months and months.  The farang vaccination issue was always going to have to be addressed.  

Of course eventually a decision will be made.  I put forward one scenario of what it may look like.  Do you have a possible scenario?

You criticize members and call for them to stick to the facts, but the fact is, there are no facts. 

To date, there has been no government decision, nor press releases.    

You're wrong. 

There have been multiple ones, posted on the forum, even on this topic. 

But the focus here is more narrow than that.

Vaccine access for expats in Pattaya only. 

There are local variations as in Samui.

I see no value in further communication with you. It's not productive or on topic. Bye.

Edited by Jingthing

There have been multiple ones, posted on the forum, even on this topic. 

You have contradicted yourself.

But the focus here is more narrow that.

Vaccine access for expats in Pattaya only. 

Sure.  Care to put forward a scenario of what it may look like, when it eventually happens?

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There are local variations as in Samui.

What are they.  Do you have a link?

I see no value in further communication with you. It's not productive or on topic.

Why is that?

You've criticized me, and others, for putting forward ideas, not as facts, but as possibilities, whilst calling for facts only to be posted, when there are no facts available. 

Do you have some links to some facts, even media reports, about the vaccination of foreigners here?      

On 4/30/2021 at 8:44 PM, Jingthing said:

Thanks for your attention and participation. 

I am in exactly the same situation as you, so I took control of my situation (no point in relying on Thais/Thailand to resolve the situation).

Flew back to the UK on 23rd last, had my first dose of the AZ vaccine on the following day. 2nd dose due on July 12th although the British government is now proposing to bring forward the 2nd dose for people in my situation. Will return to Thailand 14 days after receiving the 2nd dose.

Simples.

40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

BTW just recently we got a very helpful first hand report about registering for possible future Moderna jabs at Pattaya Memorial. 

That's the kind of thing that is the point of this thread.

Not sure how it can be helpful, when Moderna have been quoted saying the do not supply hospitals.

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

I am in exactly the same situation as you, so I took control of my situation (no point in relying on Thais/Thailand to resolve the situation).

Flew back to the UK on 23rd last, had my first dose of the AZ vaccine on the following day. 2nd dose due on July 12th although the British government is now proposing to bring forward the 2nd dose for people in my situation. Will return to Thailand 14 days after receiving the 2nd dose.

Simples.

Understood. 

But this topic is for those expats in Pattaya that for whatever reasons aren't going to do that.

Just now, Jingthing said:

Understood. 

But this topic is for those expats in Pattaya that for whatever reasons aren't going to do that.

I live in Pattaya and can see no reason not to apply the obvious solution.

7 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Not sure how it can be helpful, when Moderna have been quoted saying the do not supply hospitals.

We get a lot of conflicting information.  Possibly the hospitals will be supplied by the government as an Intermediary. 

I do consider it completely on topic to hear that a local hospital is putting expats with passports on a list for Moderna.  No set dates no real bookings, but more encouraging than being totally rebuked.

Edited by Jingthing

For you. You're not everyone. 

You have 2 choices.

1. Stay in Pattaya and put your life at risk.

2. Return to your own country and get the vaccine.

I chose life.

A year ago I was diagnosed at BPH of having suffered from heart failure. My condition had deteriorated to the point of not being able to walk more than 100 yards without feeling exhausted and needing to sit down. 3 days after returning to the UK I saw my GP. Ordered a string of tests for me. Extensive blood tests showed no problems indicated with my heart. X-Ray showed marginal increase in the size of my heart, ECG showed no change since 2007 (when I had my heart attack). Currently waiting for my Echo cardiogram and depending on the outcome may opt for a stress test. Only negative has been bloods showing borderline diabetic.

I have taken control of my own health and commenced immediate daily walks and now can walk at least a mile without stopping. bought a vape device and have reduced from 60 cigarettes/day to zero in 3 weeks. Start my sugar/carb free diet tomorrow to improve my diabetic condition. Will return to daily swimming in 2 weeks time and am determined to be fighting fit and fully vaccinated when I return to Thailand at the end of July. Already feeling immeasurably healthier than 3 weeks ago.

Your health is your responsibility, its in your hands.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

We get a lot of conflicting information.  Possibly the hospitals will be supplied by the government as an Intermediary. 

Before their own citizens have been vaccinated ... can't see it.

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

Can you name something an expat on a 12 month retirement visa can do that a tourist on a 30 day visa exemption stamp can't do, other than staying longer the 30 days?  

Get a bank account at various banks/ branches. Get a 5 year driving license. Do a 90 day report. Get a tax ID. But what has that or the question got to do with getting the vaccine?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Can you point me to the links?

The key point for this topic is whether those centers include expats or not. 

If they don't include expats they have nothing to do with this topic.

I'm pretty sure I recall reading that the stadium one was for Thais only.

But as we all know keeping track of the vaccine situation for expats here is challenging as it's a moving target.

Hi and thanks for that but my partner is Thai and she also wants to know !

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

Your question should be, "Are foreigners classified as residents?"  

That's a "minefield " of a topic - very few are "resident " with resident book !  Most of us are 1 year tourists even though we live here 365 days a year, own property , pay taxes and have no other residence outside Thailand !

11 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

That's a "minefield " of a topic - very few are "resident " with resident book !  Most of us are 1 year tourists even though we live here 365 days a year, own property , pay taxes and have no other residence outside Thailand !

Well for the purposes of this topic that all is academic. 

This specific topic is about access to vaccines by expats in Pattaya. 

What is relevant is what kinds of residence related proofs if any expats will need to access those vaccines 

We know the original online registration system requires a pink card or Thai tax ID number. It's reasonable to assume that other options going  forward won't require that. But its simply too early to know the specific details and rules yet for options that don't exist yet. Such as the promised English language registration online tool. Such as walk in sites if they're opened to expats.

One Thai official said that the vaccines are for all people living on Thai soil. Let's be positive for now and anticipate that very wide and open access will actually be realized.

Edited by Jingthing

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well for the purposes of this topic that all is academic. 

This specific topic is about access to vaccines by expats in Pattaya. 

What is relevant is what kinds of residence related proofs of any experts will need to access those vaccines 

We know the original online registration system requires a pink card or Thai tax ID number. It's reasonable to assume that other options going  forward won't require that. But its too early to know the specific details yet about options that don't exist yet 

One Thai official that the vaccines are for all people living on Thai soil. Let's be positive for now and anticipate that will happen.

Agreed, Covid does not differentiate between Nationality / Race / Creed / resident or otherwise !! One for all , all for one !  The breaking news today indicates how vital it is to get everybody vaccinated quickly ! 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Don't see where it says it refutes what Moderna said last week that they do not sell to hospitals.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/thailand-expects-to-have-6-million-doses-of-moderna-vaccine-by-october-355780

PHA secretary-general Paiboon Aeksaengsri said the association is coordinating with Zuellig Pharma, which is authorized to export the vaccine, after the Thai Food and Drug Administration (TFDA) approved the registration of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine last week.

48 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Don't see where it says it refutes what Moderna said last week that they do not sell to hospitals.

From the linked article:

The Moderna vaccine, which was approved for domestic use Thursday by the Thai Food and Drug Administration, is set to be offered by private hospitals as a paid “alternative” to the government’s free vaccinations.

4 hours ago, Why Me said:

From the linked article:

The Moderna vaccine, which was approved for domestic use Thursday by the Thai Food and Drug Administration, is set to be offered by private hospitals as a paid “alternative” to the government’s free vaccinations.

Try and find a source with a Moderna quote.

Well this article speaks to the local situation in the context of the national situation.

I can't quote the part about expats as it's later in the article, but you can read it there.

Start of mass vaccination set to begin for Pattaya and Chonburi residents later this week - The Pattaya News

Start of mass vaccination set to begin for Pattaya and Chonburi residents later this week

I'll summarize the part that relates to expats.

This initial batch is all Sinovac. 

(It's fair to say that Sinovac isn't a very popular brand of vaccine among expats, particularly among the over 60s.

The reasons: WHO approval issues, reduced efficacy compared to others, limited testing on over 60s.)

Later big batches are said to be Astra-Zenica, (which it's fair to say would have better acceptance with expats). 

(Talking about the public system here. An option like Moderna  could come via private hospitals later on a paid basis.)

Nationally, the PM has delayed walk in programs (which presumably would apply to Pattaya as well).

According to the article (which isn't surprising) the exact timing of the promised online registration tool for foreigners is unknown as well as the specific rules that will be applied to use that program, also still unknown. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 5/17/2021 at 2:04 PM, Why Me said:

From the linked article:

Moderna will be available at walk in private hospitals in a few months, from news sources. But don't panic during the wait for the best vaccine. Protection from covid is not antibodies/vaccine or nothing: Antibodies are just one arm of defense. Cellular T cells also are in play here preventing serious infections.https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/science/pre-existing-memory-t-cells-may-only-reduce-covid-19-severity-do-not-prevent-infection/article32475102.ece

I see that Singapore has now decided to increase the period between the two vaccine shots to 6 - 8 weeks, as the evidence is just about overwhelming that it provides better protection than only waiting 3 - 4 weeks. So that means from the time you receive your first shot, it's likely to be three months (8 weeks for the second shot and then 3 - 4 weeks to develop maximum immunity) before you achieve the maximum level of protection from the vaccine. With Pattaya scheduled to reopen to foreign tourists without quarantine from 1st October, that means we need to get the first dose of vaccine by the end of June if we're going to be properly protected when the resort opens up again. In other words, there's not a snowball's chance in Hades that we're going to have the best level of protection when these clowns start allowing hundreds of thousands of foreigners back in.