Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I tried with my Pink ID and was told my ‘group’ is not being vaccinated yet (I’m not in a high risk group or old enough, but wanted to see if the App works). 

Over the past 12 months there have been numerous threads and discussions / arguments about the Pink ID card, so many people ridiculing it etc...  this seems like one of those situations where a lot of people wish they may have have made the effort to get organised. 

I am registered with Samitivej Hospital for the vaccine (again using my Pink ID), but that is more a show of intention rather than any specific booking - there was also a check box which allowed us to check that we didn’t want the Sinovac vaccine. 

Its only people over 60 can book at the moment, wife is under 60 and got the same message.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That's not good and that's not the same as information being announced nationally that indicates there will be an earlier phase for high risk people  (not sure if Thais only or not) where it would not be Sinovac starting I think in June.

Of course that list doesn't mention any Pattaya hospitals.

As I strongly suspected in my OP this is not going to be very clear or easy for many or most of us.

They did tell her Bangkok Hospital.  Which as you know has several branches including Pattaya.

I would think as it is the most prominent and expensive hospital in Pattaya, they would eventually get some distribution of vaccines through the Bangkok Hospital chain.

I also think August as mentioned in her message is about right for "vaccine choices" to be available for expats.

So, probably gut it out for 3 months and hope.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Lot of whining about your personal situation... some facts:

• the situation for the Thai people is the same. While they can sign-up using the app, it is completely unclear how they will get selected, when they might get their shot and which vaccine will be used for them. Here you go, you are in the same boat as the Thai - which you obviously don't like...
  • not having a Thai-ID is a deliberate choice of yours. I personally have a Thai-ID, but I am also outside the SS system, never worked in Thailand. Takes a bit of time and energy, but it seems you never invested that time and energy to get your pink ID card. The ID is a valid ID which I used to open bank accounts, get SIM cards, register in apps, all without the need of my home country passport.
  • both Bumrungrad in Bangkok as well as Bangkok Hospital Pattaya have informed me through mail (as I am registered as patient with both) , that I can sign up for the Thai government vaccine program, BUT the same way as the Thai people: No choice of the vaccine that will be used, priority given through health status and age same as the Thai people. So you should stop whining and go to the next private hospital and sign up for the vaccine program, they will tell you exactly how and what and when and where.
  • Finally, your lack of information seems to be a lack of looking. If you would sign up in Facebook to the group "PR Thai Government" (https://www.facebook.com/watch/thailandprd/), you would find a lot of official information, including information about how to register for the vaccination program through the line app "mor prom", nearby hospitals, village health volunteers or "health promotion hospitals"

just hanging around waiting and whining will not do you any good

You give some good and useful information here, thanks for that. What I find much less helpful and unnecessary is your constant jibing at @Jingthing

37 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Yes Google is great resource with tons of misinformation. Your theory about flu and pneumonia vaccines being useful against Covid can be disregarded according to COVID19.nj.gov which was the first page to come up when I asked  “can flu and pneumonia vaccines help against Covid”

“There is no evidence that getting the vaccination against influenza will help against COVID-19. They are different viruses and the antibodies that protect us from one virus do not protect us against the other. You could, however, be infected with both viruses at the same time, and getting the vaccination against influenza will reduce your likelihood of getting the flu and being sick from two viruses at the same time.

Similarly, vaccines such as pneumococcal vaccine and Haemophilus influenza type B (Hib) vaccine, do not provide protection against the new coronavirus. The term pneumonia means any lung inflammation caused by a bacterial or viral infection.”

As I said, do your own research and Google is a good tool, I never suggested that either of the vaccines Flu or Pneumonia were magic bullets, see links below.

I didn't see any links discussing what your suggesting, i.e. that either do not assist in fighting Covid or being somewhat effective against Covid. Which in my opinion is misleading to say the least. 

Proof is in the pudding unless you can back it up ?

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/pneumonia-vaccine-may-affect-course-of-covid-19-301244883.html#:~:text=While the recently authorized COVID,COVID-19 diagnosis than adults

https://theconversation.com/until-a-coronavirus-vaccine-is-ready-pneumonia-vaccines-may-reduce-deaths-from-covid-19-147829

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Apparently a Thai person can register others, possibly without an ID number

"Users can also register on behalf of others by activating the “Add people” feature and including their relation to the registrant. After the registration is completed, users can proceed to the next step – booking a vaccination appointment."

One of our fellow members here, who has a Thai pink card ID, tried to register on the Thai mobile app and was rejected. And, consistent with that, I've seen official statements from the Thai government saying the current/coming vaccination campaign stage is ONLY for Thai citizens. The period for non-Thai citizens is supposed to be coming later, with no details yet announced.

The same poster also mentioned that when his Thai wife tried to register using the same mobile app, it only gave her information for her home province, not where she was actually living with her farang husband in Bangkok. So that may be a detail that may catch up a lot of Thai spouses, unless they've updated their ID to reflect their current residence province.

262386368_VaccineRolloutPlan04-30-21.jpg.1aad51d7b6ec6036bd3741188def58ea.jpg

PS -  I can't speak to the notion of a Thai possibly being able to add others (in this case a farang husband) via their own registration. That's a new one I haven't heard before.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Again, I don't have a Thai ID. I assume most retired expats don't have a Thai ID. 

As said many times , your understanding of Thai  ID is wrong.

Early in the week I was registered on the local authority website with my Thai ID that comes with a yellow book. you are perfectly free to believe what you want regarding how many have yellow books.

Today I have registered on the app with my Thai ID without a problem. The problem came when trying to make an appointment, the software became very slow but what was established was that the calendar was was booked up till late in May. That will probably surprise some as only Sinovac is available, going to try appointment again later in day.

There is nothing to stop you registering at a hospital with a passport but the hospital cannot put you on the app without a Thai ID.

Little option other than waiting.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I can appreciate your anxiousness, respectfully.

I am also in the high risk category, I have a Thai ID card, but am not looking to get vaccinated with a vaccine that I do not want of my choice, and that is my choice, now that might well be the end of me, however, there is research out there that suggests that the Flu and Pneumonia vaccines provide some protection against the Covid virus, Google is a wonderful tool, so please do your research.

I am getting one of each shortly, i.e. until a vaccine of my choice is readily available in Thailand, the sooner the better of course, but some protection for respiratory diseases with proven vaccines is better than none at the moment, especially for those of us with pre-existing conditions and age, and how those two stack up in the end if I end up with Covid will be something I don't want to have to test for obvious reasons, but the research does suggest that there is protection for respiratory diseases and some protection for Covid, so maybe do some research on this, not suggesting it is a magic bullet for Covid, but maybe helpful if you come down with a respiratory disease, of which Covid is as well. 

The above said, we all have to remain calm in an awfully mismanaged situation which we have no control of, and never will have, just to see that the government got first pick and then health care workers, then Phuket's population, before the older ones, and those with pre-existing conditions should say enough, most Thai's and farangs with or without pre-existing conditions are at the bottom of the pile, welcome to the land of smiles, yes they didn't make that saying up for nothing, it is a double edged sword, make of that what you will, smile, knife, back, say no more.....ok one more, dirty farang ????

Hang in there, we are all in the same boat heading to the same place at the end of our use by dates, whether we get an extension of time with these vaccines is something that is totally out of our control, so keep enjoying what you can, and adhere to the basics, i.e. social distancing, washing hands, wearing a mask and make it your mission to see yourself through this pandemic with a relaxed mind, because the stress will effect you in one way or another, shut it down in your mind, don't let the thoughts and anxiety take over.

See you on the other side as I am heading outside with a fresh hot cup of black coffee to take in the fresh air, listen to the birds chirping, looking at the greenery surrounding me, and the clear blue sky while I still have the chance of having some sanity before the family wakes up ????

Agree with everything you say...but would add, if you can manage it get on a plane if your home country has a good vaccination program. Yes I know it's a 4 month trip waiting the 12 weeks between shots and 14 days in quarantine returning is a pain and not cheap......but might save your life if this 3rd wave takes off in Thailand.

I'm doing that trip currently in UK.

One thing most people are not really talking about is Long Covid.

Two friends under 60 caught Covid (over 6 months ago) have it and it's not good.

One can barely walk 100 yds his lungs are shot to pieces and the other has heart issues with his heart rate jumping all over the place. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

As said many times , your understanding of Thai  ID is wrong.

Early in the week I was registered on the local authority website with my Thai ID that comes with a yellow book. you are perfectly free to believe what you want regarding how many have yellow books.

Today I have registered on the app with my Thai ID without a problem. The problem came when trying to make an appointment, the software became very slow but what was established was that the calendar was was booked up till late in May. That will probably surprise some as only Sinovac is available, going to try appointment again later in day.

There is nothing to stop you registering at a hospital with a passport but the hospital cannot put you on the app without a Thai ID.

Little option other than waiting.

I'm guessing most expats still don't have a Thai id. Yes I'm aware of the yellow book method so don't lecture to me that I don't understand something that I actually do understand. 

I will do a poll.

To add we have had at least one report of an expat getting signed up at a hospital who didn't have a Thai id. So maybe not impossible as you suggest.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Agree with you.

You are raising concerns applicable to many of us. Why do you think it is unique to Pattaya ? We are all just as anxious country wide.

Phuket was only a special case, and vaccinating residents, Thai and foreign,whilst the bloody dreamers in government were talking about opening the island up first for vaccinated tourists. I have no doubt that is in the bin now.

I too would love just to go to a private hospital and have the whole family vaccinated and pay for the privilege.

I may be behind the curve here, and it isn't mine or anyone's fault, it's due to the bloody constant flip flopping of the government that we just don't know where we are from one day to the next.

I am unsure at this moment in time where we all are with private institutions purchasing vaccines. They were then they weren't, then they were??

That is what I really want to know, as along with you,and as a cancer survivor on meds and at 59,  I am in a higher risk group.

No doubt there will be another announcement today and things will be clear as mud once more.

I put สาธารณสุขพัทยา into a Google Maps search. Again, sorry for the Thai script, but it's there for you to cut'n'paste into Gmaps as I did. There are several of these local public health offices in the area, including BangLamung and Muang Pattaya. Head on over there Monday morning. You could try Sunday; my local public health clinic is open until noon on Sunday. 

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have already registered, using pink ID. I have an appointment for early June.

Was that your choice or were you looking for first available date?

I was looking for first available and every day seemed to be full, gave up as it was so slow. Going to try later but may be better to start off in June as may could be full already.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Update, eventually successful booking on the Mor Prom app, using Pink ID

There doesn't appear to be any options without a Thai ID number. A thai can book on behalf of someone else but it still requires that persons ID number

image.png.c3276a0a75eea20e0f05ccdfd455c1b3.png

I'm putting together information for our Hua Hin COVID support Facebook group.  I tried to enter my Pink card, but the Line form is asking for two numbers.  I see a number across the top of the card and another number under my picture.  Which numbers did you enter from your card to get through the validation?  Thanks!

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Was that your choice or were you looking for first available date?

I was looking for first available and every day seemed to be full, gave up as it was so slow. Going to try later but may be better to start off in June as may could be full already.

All of may and 1st week of June are full already, but they dont show that.

I found anything from 7th may onwards (the official start date) is bookable

4 minutes ago, mwbrown said:

I'm putting together information for our Hua Hin COVID support Facebook group.  I tried to enter my Pink card, but the Line form is asking for two numbers.  I see a number across the top of the card and another number under my picture.  Which numbers did you enter from your card to get through the validation?  Thanks!

The other number is on the back of the card, in a white box

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gavlar said:

Agree with everything you say...but would add, if you can manage it get on a plane if your home country has a good vaccination program. Yes I know it's a 4 month trip waiting the 12 weeks between shots and 14 days in quarantine returning is a pain and not cheap......but might save your life if this 3rd wave takes off in Thailand.

I'm doing that trip currently in UK.

One thing most people are not really talking about is Long Covid.

Two friends under 60 caught Covid (over 6 months ago) have it and it's not good.

One can barely walk 100 yds his lungs are shot to pieces and the other has heart issues with his heart rate jumping all over the place. 

Thanks, but I can't see that happening, I am hopeful though, that one of the vaccines may assist, cannot have the Chinese one as I am over 60, so that's a good thing, the Russian one isn't that bad from what I have read, but AZ might just be the one next month as I am attempting to register with Mor Prom using my ID card, if they are accepting expats with pre-existing conditions for it, that said, if they aren't, that would be inhuman and I will leave that just there, because one has to hope.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's not good and that's not the same as information being announced nationally that indicates there will be an earlier phase for high risk people  (not sure if Thais only or not) where it would not be Sinovac starting I think in June.

Of course that list doesn't mention any Pattaya hospitals.

As I strongly suspected in my OP this is not going to be very clear or easy for many or most of us.

One of the 'Bangkok hospitals is in Pattaya

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Thanks, I should have thought that area may have some bearing on it but looks like into June.

22 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Good for you... but not everyone's getting that response:

That is because your name has to be on the app already. When my number was entered my name came up and said I was eligible for the vaccine. It had been uploaded by the hospital.

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Tried again and got appointment for 9am on 7th June at the hospital I normally use. 

5 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

Couldn't care less about it. Will probably have it done at some point, but in no hurry at all and will wait for the dust to settle and everything to become more clear.

Why the rush anyway, if all you are doing is going to Lotus/Big C?

As more Thais get vaccinated mitigation measures will surely loosen up either via rules loosening or mostly the public incorrectly feeling its over. When that happens the risk for those not vaccinated especially high risk people will definitely increase.

Everyone is different but there are risky things I NEED to go out for and I'm sure that's not unusual.

Being in a rush is entirely rational for many of us.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

Couldn't care less about it. Will probably have it done at some point, but in no hurry at all and will wait for the dust to settle and everything to become more clear.

Why the rush anyway, if all you are doing is going to Lotus/Big C?

Quite right, the risk level in Thailand is far lower than many countries and the need for vaccination not as desperate as it was in the west.

Personal circumstances however can alter the perspective, I have a flight booked to the UK in Aug and at my age it would be prudent to take every step possible.

• Like 1