Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

On 6/11/2021 at 2:35 PM, Guderian said:

Isn't it a bit odd that PIH and Memorial are at least taking names for a contact list, but BHP is just saying 'watch our Facebook page'?

Not oss at all, I Was inoculated Monday June 7 at Memorial Pattaya  with AZ vaccin, registered on MorProm  app. with Pink ID May 3. 

28 minutes ago, spetersen said:

Not oss at all, I Was inoculated Monday June 7 at Memorial Pattaya  with AZ vaccin, registered on MorProm  app. with Pink ID May 3. 

Was never available based on passports, and it's my understanding that it's now closed to new registrations anyway. The vast majority of expats in Pattaya now seeking jabs are overwhelming frustrated by the currently available options 

Edited by Jingthing

Well here's a new twist to the tale, if you ever manage to make an appointment and they don't cancel it, apparently the first thing they do when you arrive is to take your blood pressure. If it's elevated then they'll ask you to wait a while for it to go down. If it doesn't drop to whatever they consider a satisfactory level then they''ll send you home without the vaccine. As many times as it takes, apparently. Some relevant quotes:

On 6/12/2021 at 11:44 AM, neilrob said:

I received an Astra Zeneca jab at Sansai Hospital this morning. I booked on the Mor Prom app using my pink ID card. All very efficient, although it took a couple of hours because of the number of people and my blood pressure being high at first (had to wait 15 minutes to measure it again and I passed this time).

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Pressure was 137 / 93 (highest its been for a while), but I’d just walked from the carpark, register and then straight to blood pressure test (plus I’d had too many beers the night before !).

20 hours ago, neilrob said:

I believe the break point is systolic of 140. My blood pressure was above that initially, measured by an automated machine. After waiting about 15 minutes, my blood pressure was measured by a nurse using a different type (more accurate??) of machine and I passed. As might be expected in a group of older people, there were quite a number of people in the hold zone for testing. I saw some being retested and not given the go ahead, so presumably still too high. They then continued to sit in the hold zone, presumably for a further test. I do not know if those who could not pass were finally vaccinated or not.

39 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Of the two hospitals I've been to, 160/100 is the cut off. My mother in law has been turned away twice ( 8 hours in total) due to it being over this. I was, 4th time lucky, given mine with a BP of 158/82.

Reported in this topic:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

With all due respect, it's over. The embassy won't help. It was obvious to me in the subtext of the speech given by President Biden in England when he announced the donation of half a BILLION doses of Pfizer to the world. He went out of his way to say, this is completely free, NO FAVORS asked for! I groaned when I heard that. Yes, that includes NO FAVORS to Americans abroad. 

Well, if the French are doing it, Belgium is considering it, and many other countries will probably follow suit since it is only logical for a country to protect their citizens regardless of where they are located...maybe it will shame the US into adopting it as well.

Obviously the present Administration has neither the ability or the inclination to do things proactively that serve the REAL needs of its citizens. 

That makes America a follower and no longer a leader.  So, perhaps they will react to what other countries are doing for their own expat community, and do something for us, just to save face on the international stage.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Well, if the French are doing it, Belgium is considering it, and many other countries will probably follow suit since it is only logical for a country to protect their citizens regardless of where they are located...maybe it will shame the US into adopting it as well.

Obviously the present Administration has neither the ability or the inclination to do things proactively that serve the REAL needs of its citizens. 

That makes America a follower and no longer a leader.  So, perhaps they will react to what other countries are doing for their own expat community, and do something for us, just to save face on the international stage.

I wouldn't hold your breath. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

She who must be obeyed 

On 5/1/2021 at 3:34 AM, Swiss1960 said:

Lot of whining about your personal situation... some facts:

• the situation for the Thai people is the same. While they can sign-up using the app, it is completely unclear how they will get selected, when they might get their shot and which vaccine will be used for them. Here you go, you are in the same boat as the Thai - which you obviously don't like...
  • not having a Thai-ID is a deliberate choice of yours. I personally have a Thai-ID, but I am also outside the SS system, never worked in Thailand. Takes a bit of time and energy, but it seems you never invested that time and energy to get your pink ID card. The ID is a valid ID which I used to open bank accounts, get SIM cards, register in apps, all without the need of my home country passport.
  • both Bumrungrad in Bangkok as well as Bangkok Hospital Pattaya have informed me through mail (as I am registered as patient with both) , that I can sign up for the Thai government vaccine program, BUT the same way as the Thai people: No choice of the vaccine that will be used, priority given through health status and age same as the Thai people. So you should stop whining and go to the next private hospital and sign up for the vaccine program, they will tell you exactly how and what and when and where.
  • Finally, your lack of information seems to be a lack of looking. If you would sign up in Facebook to the group "PR Thai Government" (https://www.facebook.com/watch/thailandprd/), you would find a lot of official information, including information about how to register for the vaccination program through the line app "mor prom", nearby hospitals, village health volunteers or "health promotion hospitals"

just hanging around waiting and whining will not do you any good

Agree fully. Unfortunately many expats do not know their way around the system and in many unfortunate instances are relying on girl friends or even wives that either don't have a clue what to do, how to help or prefer the easy way out....." I don't know - Not Sure- or my friend tell me cannot" 

I actually agree  pretty much everything you mentioned. The standard in here is mostly complain about everything because most lack the support ambition, and in some cases, smarts they need to assist them in achieving the basics they want and need.

Edited by Jud Canada
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jud Canada said:

Agree fully. Unfortunately many expats do not know their way around the system and in many unfortunate instances are relying on girl friends or even wives that either don't have a clue what to do, how to help or prefer the easy way out....." I don't know - Not Sure- or my friend tell me cannot" 

I actually agree  pretty much everything you mentioned. The standard in here is mostly complain about everything because most lack the support ambition, and in some cases, smarts they need to assist them in achieving the basics they want and need.

Well very proud to be attached to this post....but not sure why....5555

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Guderian said:

That's what I thought, too. There's no blood pressure check during the UK's annual flu jab rollout, it's just get in, roll up your sleeve, get jabbed, then get out ASAP. Where did they get this idea from?

As you say, hypertension is common among older people who are often a bit overweight, yet  they're also one of the main vulnerable groups. I'm guessing that it's the hospitals covering their backs against claims of negligence or whatever if somebody with high blood pressure has a bad reaction for a totally unrelated reason. I believe that the cost of having a vaccine privately includes insurance cover for the patient, so it shouldn't be an issue if they ever get their act together on providing vaccines.

For many of us, getting vaccinated is going to be a pretty stressful time anyway and it wouldn't be at all surprising if your BP was elevated, along with the usual 'white coat' syndrome. If you relax for 20 or 30 minutes then it should drop back down, but now we're going to be scared witless that it will stay high and we will be turned away and not allowed to have the vaccine, and these concerns will, of course, stress us out and keep our BP higher than it should be. That's a great feedback loop they've come up with there, lol.

Yes, I think any sane and rational person would look at such a policy of excluding those from vaccination becuase they have high blood pressure as pure nonsense not supported by any sort of science at all

Truth is, I really wonder about the veracity of claims from people that they were actually excluded from being vaccinated only becuase of high blood pressure. 

I can appreciate that many people who test high for BP are asked to wait a few minutes and be retested in order to be sure of the reliability of a reading, but to actually be excluded from vaccination due only to high BP sounds like pure rubbish.

As a matter of fact, I just had an influenza vaccination last week.  They tested my BP and it was high, but I was given the vaccination anyway.  I mean I'm one of those people who gets "white coat syndrome" whenever a doctor measure my BP, and when I get home and test it on a calibrated BP unit, it's just fine LOL!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Guderian said:

That's what I thought, too. There's no blood pressure check during the UK's annual flu jab rollout, it's just get in, roll up your sleeve, get jabbed, then get out ASAP. Where did they get this idea from?

As you say, hypertension is common among older people who are often a bit overweight, yet  they're also one of the main vulnerable groups. I'm guessing that it's the hospitals covering their backs against claims of negligence or whatever if somebody with high blood pressure has a bad reaction for a totally unrelated reason. I believe that the cost of having a vaccine privately includes insurance cover for the patient, so it shouldn't be an issue if they ever get their act together on providing vaccines.

For many of us, getting vaccinated is going to be a pretty stressful time anyway and it wouldn't be at all surprising if your BP was elevated, along with the usual 'white coat' syndrome. If you relax for 20 or 30 minutes then it should drop back down, but now we're going to be scared witless that it will stay high and we will be turned away and not allowed to have the vaccine, and these concerns will, of course, stress us out and keep our BP higher than it should be. That's a great feedback loop they've come up with there, lol.

5 weeks ago i had my flu jab here in Pattaya,my bp was taken then,also when i had my covid jab 4 days ago ,as it was 111/69 there was no problem, they checked my history,i have heart problems ,have had for 40 yrs.

The wife registered me on mor prom for the jab ,in answer to an earlier post,luckily she has always been in business as have her family so is quite switched on ,Still it took her many attempts before she got me accepted ,as for the thailandintevac site,it was a joke and not a good one,what a load of cr--- .i was registered,then form not filled in , filled it 3 times ,still NOT FILLED IN!.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Annoying and frustrating, isn't it?

I don't give it no mind.... 

I think the idea of registering with the hospital is as good as entering your pink ID on the Mor whatever App. Registering with every darned App, hospital and website surely just muddies the waters.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Maybe a lot of these Embassies will start issuing monthly income letters again.  ????

So how many of you were able to register for a vaccine this morning on the sleek new website https://thailandintervac.com/expatriates ?

I thought so, nobody. It seems the website has been shut for "updates" again.

It also seems that, until just now when the original website was closed down, anybody could access the personal data that you had input there.

This pile of excrement just keeps on getting bigger!

i.jpg.33f1a3a23bbc42b2fa48281336f62557.j

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1220454-expats-registering-for-vaccines-impossible-task-takes-another-depressing-twist/

Edited by Guderian
  • Thanks 1

Well, surprise not surprise.

https://thailandintervac.com/expatriates 

Promised to be open today.

Not working.

I did check a way into the previous site.

Bangkok hospitals only.

Ugh.

This entire endeavor has become a masochists delight.

One thing they have succeeded at though big time. Lowering expectations. 

Edited by Jingthing

Just a quick note--trying to hit all the vaccine threads.  Had a June 16 appointment thru the Mor prom app with my pink card for AZ vaccine at Pattaya City Hospital.  Got a call yesterday--AZ not available but could get Sinovac instead today.  I agreed and had the first vaccine this morning.  It went very fast and easy with no waiting and no big crowds.  It seems at least some Mor prom appointments are still being honored for farangs--but you might not get the vaccine you signed up for.

On 6/13/2021 at 1:33 PM, WaveHunter said:

Well, just being reactive is better than the previous administration's head-deep-in-the-sand approach only interrupted by giving helpful tips like ingesting disinfectants and using UV dildos.

• Like 1

I had not come across this info before - that Chonburi planned  to launch its own registration facility in English. It surely must be better than the Interval disaster? Quote from another thread:

"Last week the CCSA said that local health authorities, including those in Hua Hin and Chonburi would launch their own registration platforms - available in English - for expats to register for the  vaccine."

7 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

I had not come across this info before - that Chonburi planned  to launch its own registration facility in English. It surely must be better than the Interval disaster? Quote from another thread:

"Last week the CCSA said that local health authorities, including those in Hua Hin and Chonburi would launch their own registration platforms - available in English - for expats to register for the  vaccine."

Where was that from? Really? When? 

It sounds like many many people are very concerned about not being able to get vaccinated??

If that's the case why not just go back to home country, or a neutral country fot the vaccination?

Yes, it'll be expensive and an inconvience ( twice ) but it's not impossible.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

It sounds like many many people are very concerned about not being able to get vaccinated??

If that's the case why not just go back to home country, or a neutral country fot the vaccination?

Yes, it'll be expensive and an inconvience ( twice ) but it's not impossible.

There's a reasonable chance they'll get covid in transit, plus a waste of money, better to wait

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

There's a reasonable chance they'll get covid in transit, plus a waste of money, better to wait

There's a reasonable chance they could Covid in there day to day life here........

It's not a waste of money if a lot of these people are as worried as they appear.

If they're prepare to wait then why complain?

10 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

From this TVF thread here:

From that topic showing fuller context calling into suspicion that this will actually happen:

______

Last week the CCSA said that local health authorities, including those in Hua Hin and Chonburi would launch their own registration platforms - available in English - for expats to register for the  vaccine.

However, at the time of posting no information about such registration platforms has been released.

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Obviously because the vaccination programme is very slow, one of the worst in the world, if you are ok with that up to you

Yeah, i'm not too concerned about it tbh.

Bring vaccinated makes it no easier to enter the country as it stands, when the restrcitions ease i will fly somewhere to get vaccinated.

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

From that topic showing fuller context calling into suspicion that this will actually happen:

______

Last week the CCSA said that local health authorities, including those in Hua Hin and Chonburi would launch their own registration platforms - available in English - for expats to register for the  vaccine.

However, at the time of posting no information about such registration platforms has been released.

Jingthing, of course we have to be extremely sceptical about anything & everything to do with foreign vaccination promises. But this is the first time I have seen mention of a specifically English language based foreign registration being created in Chonburi. They would be following in the footsteps of another' sandbox' Chiang Mai where the foreign registration process with online & physically has worked well from the reports I have from (sceptical) friends. Whether that then translates into jabs well that we shall see, but we need the first stage in place before we got to the second.

11 hours ago, Harry2 said:

Can you provide a link to the other poster's post re proposed Chonburi Registration site?  OR CAN ANYBODY provide more info on this?  I've heard nothing at all to that effect, but would certainly welcome such news since InterVac is all but useless at this point.