Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

To add there is another potential great benefit of hearing a clear and official policy statement from the Thai government on their policy about high risk foreigners. If they did say we are definitely not going to include all high risk foreigners in the high risk earlier phase priority group, then expats would have a much stronger case to appeal our embassies for help. 

Really? Have you know idea how diplomacy works?

Say, for example, the UK government decided to fly in a bunch of vaccines for their expats in Thailand. In diplomatic speak this is the same as saying "Tut, tut you incompetent fools, your healthcare system is so bad that we have to fly out vaccines to inoculate our own citizens!"

It won't happen. And the UK Ambassador has said explicitly that expats will be vaccinated in accordance with the Thai distribution policy. Rightfully so.

Just stay at home, follow the rules and wait your turn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 3STTW said:

Really? Have you know idea how diplomacy works?

Say, for example, the UK government decided to fly in a bunch of vaccines for their expats in Thailand. In diplomatic speak this is the same as saying "Tut, tut you incompetent fools, your healthcare system is so bad that we have to fly out vaccines to inoculate our own citizens!"

It won't happen. And the UK Ambassador has said explicitly that expats will be vaccinated in accordance with the Thai distribution policy. Rightfully so.

Just stay at home, follow the rules and wait your turn.

But China can vaccinate their people here? That's what I heard. Can someone verify?

From a US POV President Biden has promised vaccines to all people in the USA that want it including the undocumented and now the USA is in a position to export many millions of doses abroad.

So Americans abroad are chopped liver?

Look I've been very clear that this topic is about sharing information about how non Thais can get vaccinated in Thailand. But if it becomes clear that is not happening in a timely way for a large chunk of us yes of course embassy help would be welcomed. 

Also I don't think it's that big of a diplomatic problem as long as embassy provided dose are not earlier than the beginning of the Thai mass program.

So we can agree to disagree. 

Short of flying 'back home' for a vaccine, it might be possible to fly to neighboring countries like Singapore that has access to the Pfizer vaccine, but is it worth going through quarantine on your way back for that? and should you stay there until the second shot or two trips? 

12 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Short of flying 'back home' for a vaccine, it might be possible to fly to neighboring countries like Singapore that has access to the Pfizer vaccine, but is it worth going through quarantine on your way back for that? and should you stay there until the second shot or two trips? 

Read this.

https://sg.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/covid-19-information/

That idea is a non starter.

On top of the travel restrictions and visa complications in and out you wouldn't even be eligible.

---

The Government of Singapore is making vaccines available to all Singaporeans and long-term residents in Singapore, which includes Singapore Permanent Residents and Employment Pass holders.  More information here.

Edited by Jingthing

13 hours ago, Pilotman said:

most of what the government  comes up with is total <deleted>. , Free, no its not; for all expats, no its not; choice of vaccine, no, just the <deleted> stuff from China and Russia, those bastions of openness and probity.  Its the usual smoke and mirrors  that this government is so fond of.  I either pay privately for the vaccine I want, when those morons in charge of supply get their act together, or they can stuff it and I will take my chances. 

I wonder why you stay in Thailand. Must be awful to live somewhere where you hate people and where everything is " smoke & mirrors". Surely, your home country lets you select the desired vaccine. Why not go on home leave ????

some 2 months ago lufthansa wanted to fly charter flights to moscow for sputnik at the airport transit terminal.

No visa needed, and no quarantine. Possible not even passport.

Two return flights for e1000.

Sputnik is some e10 per dose.

If thai airways had some sense, and balls against the government rules, they should copy this model. For 10k baht per head in full air planes both legs. They would have 1mln passengers. If not singapore, than India, china, HK, seul, vladivostok or any other, where they make their own vax

Edited by internationalism

5 minutes ago, internationalism said:

some 2 months ago lufthansa wanted to fly charter flights to moscow for sputnik at the airport transit terminal.

No visa needed, and no quarantine. Possible not even passport.

Two return flights for e1000.

Sputnik is some e10 per dose.

If thai airways had some sense they should copy this model. For 10k baht per head in full air planes both legs. They would have 1mln passengers. If not singapore, than India, china, HK, seul, vladivostok or any other, where they make their own vax

Good idea....  Some of those countries could charter flights to Thailand for its passengers to take the AstraZenica vaccine produced by Siam Biolabs !!! 

Running with your theory... Instead of taking people, why not just send a plane to collect the vaccines?

Obviously there are some mixed messages as to when and how Foreigners will get vaccinated - the information seems to change daily! Until the first of us gets a shot in the arm, i will not rely on it. Next the issue is when, and how much. The current government vaccine production plan would take more than 5 years to vaccinate everybody (about 100+ million doses required), so they will be dependent on buying more from other countries - vaccines are in short supply just now so no clear timetable as to when they will be available - but the likelihood of everyone in Thailand who wants vaccinating getting it this year is low, plan for 2022 at least.....

I will wait about another month, but if the picture is still as opaque, i will probably go back to UK for it in July.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Err, could you provide a link for this please, I've been here 10 years and that's the first time I've heard of this requirement ?

I recall hearing of this a while ago, but as my driving licences had some years yet to run I paid it no mind. I have a Thai tax ID and of course this number on the top of my driving licences.... which appears to differ on each licence so is hardly unique. I have lived here since 2004 and not needed either a yellow book, nor Pink Card, so dealing with Thai bureaucracy, to obtain them never came up. Spent a  fortune on printer cartridges over the years  anyhow... and they still need more. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 3:34 AM, Swiss1960 said:

not having a Thai-ID is a deliberate choice of yours.

can you please clarify for me?

I am retired so no social security work permit etc.

Spouse visa.

Pink ID but that I am repeatedly told is a foreigner id not a Thai id

I would rather like a Thai id so any help in how to get would be appreciated

2 minutes ago, alant said:

can you please clarify for me?

I am retired so no social security work permit etc.

Spouse visa.

Pink ID but that I am repeatedly told is a foreigner id not a Thai id

I would rather like a Thai id so any help in how to get would be appreciated

Some people deliberately split hairs about that description. "Thai ID" is an abbreviation and means an "Identification Number for a person in the Kingdom of Thailand". It does not matter, what nationality you have.  It is an ID number given to a person and stored in the register of persons for the Kingdom of Thailand. In order to get the pink "Thai ID card" (the card that displays your identification number as stored in the persons register of Thailand), you first need to acquire a yellow Tabien Baan (house book) for your place of living.

Proof? I use the number to
- register SIM-cards

- work with government offices

- get a drivers license

- register in government apps like for the vaccine process

- open bank accounts

- ID check in police check points

without (almost) ever needing my passport. This ID number can be accessed throughout the Kingdom of Thailand. So, if you have a pink card, you have a duly registered Identification Number (ID) for the Kingdom of Thailand.

AND: most people do not even know, that you can get a yellow Tabien Baan even when you rent a condo. All you need (I know, that will be the main problem) is the consent of the house master in the blue Tabien Baan, which normally is the owner of the condo. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Some people deliberately split hairs about that description. "Thai ID" is an abbreviation and means an "Identification Number for a person in the Kingdom of Thailand". It does not matter, what nationality you have.  It is an ID number given to a person and stored in the register of persons for the Kingdom of Thailand. In order to get the pink "Thai ID card" (the card that displays your identification number as stored in the persons register of Thailand), you first need to acquire a yellow Tabien Baan (house book) for your place of living.

Proof? I use the number to
- register SIM-cards

- work with government offices

- get a drivers license

- register in government apps like for the vaccine process

- open bank accounts

- ID check in police check points

without (almost) ever needing my passport. This ID number can be accessed throughout the Kingdom of Thailand. So, if you have a pink card, you have a duly registered Identification Number (ID) for the Kingdom of Thailand.

AND: most people do not even know, that you can get a yellow Tabien Baan even when you rent a condo. All you need (I know, that will be the main problem) is the consent of the house master in the blue Tabien Baan, which normally is the owner of the condo. 

Why not call it the pink card or the Non-Thai id to avoid confusion ?

Calling it the Thai id is obviously not correct !

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Why not call it the pink card or the Non-Thai id to avoid confusion ?

Calling it the Thai id is obviously not correct !

as I said.. splitting hairs, when every reasonable person knows what it means. Kind of like the mostly very long rants some people can do, when somebody calls the annual extension a "Visa", when this term is even displayed inside immigration offices to point to the "retirement visa" counter... we all know it is not really correct, but we also know damn well what is meant.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

most people do not even know, that you can get a yellow Tabien Baan even when you rent a condo

But many people know,  that thre bureaucrats don't give them a yellow house book even they own their condo

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Up to you but the virus travels fast.

I don't have this app for vaccination that many talk about but my missus does, she said that when the time comes she will get a message that the occupants of her household can present themselves to the village clinic for the jab, I shall go with the flow. All events are causal, we have no control although we think we do, stop worrying, covid is just another event, people were once in panic about aids, dengue fever, TB, malaria, all dust in the wind now. I don't think covid is going anywhere, it's here to stay and will soon be regarded as influenza is now. I read in 'Der Spiegel' that German Researchers say they have a medicine that can cure someone with covid but it will take from 5 to 10 years before it will go through all the tests to get approval, I will be dead by then.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm guessing most expats still don't have a Thai id. Yes I'm aware of the yellow book method so don't lecture to me that I don't understand something that I actually do understand. 

If you really understood you would have booked a vaccination appointment yesterday.

On 5/1/2021 at 3:48 AM, Jingthing said:

Predictably insulting. You can't help yourself, can you?

But you may have provided some ideas.

Again, I don't have a Thai ID. I assume most retired expats don't have a Thai ID. 

There are many people in my situation, so people doing a superior dance, I'm a good expat / you're a bad expat show is completely UNHELPFUL.

Responding to your points:

The app does not accept passport numbers, so I and many other expats can't use the app. 

Maybe soon it will. We can hope. 

Your point of contacting a private hospital is NOT CLEAR. You said explicitly that you were told by mail that you can register the same as Thai people. AGAIN, you need a Thai ID to do that. So what would be the point of contacting Bangkok Pattaya hospital to be told to sign up like Thai people, as I and many others, can't? Or were you trying to suggest something else. If so, maybe you could tell us.

Can you point to a specific video on that FB page that addresses how to MANUALLY sign up for the program as an expat with only a passport number?

Also as I made clear in my OP, looking for PATTAYA specific information which I suspect is not really available yet as so much of this is new.  Such as which hospital to go to, how to contact them if you only have a passport number, etc. etc. 

For example if someone walked into the Soi Buakow hospital tomorrow and asked to register with their passport, would that work or not NOW, or is this something we need to wait for until the local Thais get their act more gelled on how to deal with us (or not).

Exactly, my Thai wife tried to sign me up yesterday 1st May online at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya with my pink id card the same as she and her sisters had done, can't do got to wait for Thais to get the jabs first so Swiss1960? is talking rubbish and talking down other farrangs from his high horse, as you say predicable bs for one who has supposedly holds Thai I/D!    From another whiner

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Good idea....  Some of those countries could charter flights to Thailand for its passengers to take the AstraZenica vaccine produced by Siam Biolabs !!! 

Running with your theory... Instead of taking people, why not just send a plane to collect the vaccines?

same as in germany - patients didn't want to get those offered free by the government. They wanted the specific one. I am not sure this project went off, but if lufthansa was behind it, it has chance to have large group of clients.

In thailand there would be almost exclusively locally made AZ, hiccups, delays, quality issues are likely. Even with 10mln/month roll out it takes 5 months to vax 70% of population only with 1 dose. Another 5 months for the second dose. Just in time strait into the possible 3rd dose.

On 5/1/2021 at 4:25 AM, digbeth said:

My international hospital in Bangkok (Bumrunrad) has emailed and offered to put me on a list for the government vaccine, stressing that there is no choice in vaccine (must be either Sinovac or AstraZeneca) and that the vaccine is free, but the hospital will be charging doctor's fee and service fee

I have declined so far, but if you are eager, migh be worth contacting Bangkok Hospital Pattaya to see if they have similar program? 

Vaccine is free?? Doctors fee and service fee?? A good few thousand baht I'll bet.

42 minutes ago, sandyf said:

If you really understood you would have booked a vaccination appointment yesterday.

How?!?

All I have is a passport number.

I don’t have any kind of Thai ID number.

No Yellow book. No pink card. Nada.

21 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Exactly, my Thai wife tried to sign me up yesterday 1st May online at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya with my pink id card the same as she and her sisters had done, can't do got to wait for Thais to get the jabs first so Swiss1960? is talking rubbish and talking down other farrangs from his high horse, as you say predicable bs for one who has supposedly holds Thai I/D!    From another whiner

Pattaya International Hospital also won't let people on a list. Says they may have doses later and will announce on Facebook. There will be a fee. Sinovac and maybe some other brand. Later not defined .

23 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

This is not correct.  I was able to book an appointment for June 16 and I am not Thai.  However, I had to book with a public hospital so the private hospitals may not have been given permission to start appointments yet.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Apparently a Thai person can register others, possibly without an ID number

"Users can also register on behalf of others by activating the “Add people” feature and including their relation to the registrant. After the registration is completed, users can proceed to the next step – booking a vaccination appointment."

My Thain wife tried to do that for me yesterday Bagkok Hospital Pattaya high risk group 82yr old, But no can do must wait till June! 

1 minute ago, maxcorrigan said:

My Thain wife tried to do that for me yesterday Bagkok Hospital Pattaya high risk group 82yr old, But no can do must wait till June! 

I think a better choice would be to choose the gov hospitial from the list. Although the private hospitals are on the list, its not clear that they will be a part of the public vaccinations. (if they are they will be charging)

So possibly the privates dont have appointments. Get your wife to try for an appointment at Gov hospital. Its worth a try and I think it will be successful

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think a better choice would be to choose the gov hospitial from the list. Although the private hospitals are on the list, its not clear that they will be a part of the public vaccinations. (if they are they will be charging)

So possibly the privates dont have appointments. Get your wife to try for an appointment at Gov hospital. Its worth a try and I think it will be successful

Yes.  I was successful in booking using a public hospital.  I first tried the private hospitals on the app list and they didn't work.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, newnative said:

Yes.  I was successful in booking using a public hospital.  I first tried the private hospitals on the app list and they didn't work.  

That makes sense, I picked a Gov hospitial thinking the same, there are still news stories sayin the privates wont be part of the public vaccinations

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Thank you Peter, the reason Bangkok Hospital was tried was because her niece is a ENT doctor at that hospital and your suggestion for Gov Hospital is already underway, thanks for input though!

1 hour ago, maxcorrigan said:

Plenty of reports - also official reports on Thaivisa - of foreigners successfully registering and getting a date for the vaccination, clearly no rubbish talk. I am registered, but could not yet get a date on the hospitals available for Pattaya area, the error says "hospital not open for registration", will have to either wait another day or so or drive by one of the hospitals to investigate.

P.S: just seen the above post by @newnative that he got his date in the government hospital, so most definitely the private hospitals are not yet ready/allowed to register.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, newnative said:

This is not correct.  I was able to book an appointment for June 16 and I am not Thai.  However, I had to book with a public hospital so the private hospitals may not have been given permission to start appointments yet.  

So maybe it is correct then, never the less we are trying government hospitals now, thanks for input!