Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

11 hours ago, Letseng said:

I wonder why you stay in Thailand. Must be awful to live somewhere where you hate people and where everything is " smoke & mirrors". Surely, your home country lets you select the desired vaccine. Why not go on home leave ????

Where did I ever say that I 'hate' people here, do not put words into my mouth please. There is a lot wrong in Thailand, as is the case wherever you live in the World, if you can't see that, then you must be blind, deaf and not very aware of what goes on around you.  Yes, I could go back to the UK and get a vaccine, but the exposure risks in doing that far outweigh the advantages. I have a reasonable expectation that somewhere along the line, the people here will get their act together, and my preferred vaccine will be available privately. 

30 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

So maybe it is correct then, never the less we are trying government hospitals now, thanks for input!

To add to my previous report: I just finished talking with two of the private hospitals here in Pattaya and they have no idea that a) they are listed in the government app and b) that they might some day be receiving appointments for vaccines.
At this time, the government seems to only allow the government hospitals to take reservations. I understand this from a logistics point of view, easier to transport and store the vaccines in only one place per district.

I am now registered with the Pattaya City Hospital for my first shot in June, not at the beginning of the campaign, will let others be the guinea pigs...

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 3:56 AM, Jingthing said:

Well I do understand your point. It seems we hear one thing one day, and the complete opposite thing the next day. How is the public supposed to coherently process all that? It's almost impossible. 

And this is news? How long have you lived here?

On 5/1/2021 at 3:56 AM, Jingthing said:

But the last I heard the private hospitals are not going to be running a separate track program for Thais and possibly foreigners that are willing to pay.  So as I said, at least for now, we can't count on that. Before recently, I assume most expats (outside the social security system) were assuming that was their path. Sadly that path isn't being promised any longer.

The last I read was although the government gave private hospitals the go ahead to procure vaccines maybe six weeks ago, so far no permission has been given by the government and these orders languish. I think that this logjam is one of the reasons that the "Covid Czar" recently inserted himself as the Obergruppenführer.

23 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I asked my Thai friend to call Bangkok Hospital Pattaya this morning to inquire about a vaccine for expats.

This is the message she sent me.

Nothing else to report, just this information given to her by someone at the hospital.

20210501_122059.jpg

So much disinformation, so little time.

4 hours ago, alant said:

can you please clarify for me?

I am retired so no social security work permit etc.

Spouse visa.

Pink ID but that I am repeatedly told is a foreigner id not a Thai id

I would rather like a Thai id so any help in how to get would be appreciated

Pink ID is a Thai ID for foreigners , with a 13 digit number where the two fist digits tells that you are a foreigner , you can get that but first you need to get a yellow tabien ban as far as I know , at least  I had to to it 2015.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Plenty of reports - also official reports on Thaivisa - of foreigners successfully registering and getting a date for the vaccination, clearly no rubbish talk. I am registered, but could not yet get a date on the hospitals available for Pattaya area, the error says "hospital not open for registration", will have to either wait another day or so or drive by one of the hospitals to investigate.

P.S: just seen the above post by @newnative that he got his date in the government hospital, so most definitely the private hospitals are not yet ready/allowed to register.

Try Pattaya Memorial Hospital at Pattaya Klang / Soi Bukhao , I got a time slot there June 9

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2021 at 12:39 PM, Jingthing said:

The current information is that what you want from private hospitals is not going to be available. Currently it appears that you need to somehow get registered in the national system and that you won't be given a choice of vaccine even if done at a private hospital.

That could change of course.

Why is everything in Thailand always so confusing and convoluted LOL?  The Mor Prom app on line was almost impossible to find, and now that I found it, it is entirely written in Thai, and seems to require a PINK CARD # (which I don't have).

Can anyone provide explanation or links for the following questions? (I'm sure I'm not the only one confused about all of this, and googling has not provided much help, so if you have answers, you'd be helping me and probably a lot of others too).  If you have nothing useful to add, please don't reply to my post with non-pertinent comments or remarks:

• I have a Thai Drivers License; is there a possibility that it could be used in lieu of a pink card?  When I first came to Thailand I was advised there was absolutely no reason to get a pink card if you had a Thai drivers license...but I have heard nothing mentioned about it being acceptable for this Mor Prom app.
  • Is there some setting on Mor Prom app so it reads in English?  I am English speaking and it is impossible to navigate through the app as is for me.
  • Is there an actual phone app in the works that will replace this one currently on LINE (that hopefully will allow English selection)?
  • If registering through this app isn't going to work for me, what in-person registration alternatives are there in the PATTAYA area?
Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Why is everything in Thailand always so confusing and convoluted LOL?  The Mor Prom app on line was almost impossible to find, and now that I found it, it is entirely written in Thai, and seems to require a PINK CARD # (which I don't have).

Can anyone provide explanation or links for the following questions? (I'm sure I'm not the only one confused about all of this, and googling has not provided much help, so if you have answers, you'd be helping me and probably a lot of others too).  If you have nothing useful to add, please don't reply to my post with non-pertinent comments or remarks:

• I have a Thai Drivers License; is there a possibility that it could be used in lieu of a pink card?  When I first came to Thailand I was advised there was absolutely no reason to get a pink card if you had a Thai drivers license...but I have heard nothing mentioned about it being acceptable for this Mor Prom app.
  • Is there some setting on Mor Prom app so it reads in English?  I am English speaking and it is impossible to navigate through the app as is for me.
  • Is there an actual phone app in the works that will replace this one currently on LINE (that hopefully will allow English selection)?
  • If registering through this app isn't going to work for me, what in-person registration alternatives are there in the PATTAYA area?

No. No. No.  Go to a government hospital.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Can anyone provide explanation or links for the following questions? (I'm sure I'm not the only one confused about all of this, and googling has not provided much help, so if you have answers, you'd be helping me and probably a lot of others too).  If you have nothing useful to add, please don;t clutter the thread with non-pertinent comments or remarks:

My understanding is that there are no online English options and a Thai driver's license definitely will not work.

Pattaya private hospitals don't have anything and aren't taking names but if interested keep checking but it might take months  

I am also seeking a confirmed sure thing place to manually register with passport. I am high risk and don't want to be running around town risking infection just looking. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mwbrown said:

No. No. No.  Go to a government hospital.

Can you expound a bit?  Which government hospital?  What is the procedure? (Call first, just walk in the door...)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spetersen said:

Try Pattaya Memorial Hospital at Pattaya Klang / Soi Bukhao , I got a time slot there June 9

Great to hear it. 

A few questions though please. 

Did you register with passport or did you have a Thai id number from pink card or Thai social security number?

Were you previously registered there or did you walk in cold?

You had to go in person?

• Like 1

Just now, WaveHunter said:

Can you expound a bit?  Which government hospital?  What is the procedure? (Call first, just walk in the door...)

Any government hospital.  Just walk in the front door and ask.  Nothing with this is going to be exactly and perfect, so you're going to have to go and do some of the work yourself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mwbrown said:

Any government hospital.  Just walk in the front door and ask.  Nothing with this is going to be exactly and perfect, so you're going to have to go and do some of the work yourself.

Sure but some of us are high risk and want to find a sure thing place before running here and there to crowded places around town.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

My understanding is that there are no online English options and a Thai driver's license definitely will not work.

Pattaya private hospitals don't have anything and aren't taking names but if interested keep checking but it might take months  

I am also seeking a confirmed place to manually register with passport. I am high risk and want to be running around town looking. 

My sentiments exactly.  I'd prefer getting a vaccinated at a private hospital with a Western vaccine (not Chinese).  Not even sure if that will be possible, but as you said, that could be months beyond when you could get it from the government...so I really want to get registered. 

Without a pink card, this app sounds useless.  Why a Thai drivers license would not be acceptable makes no sense at all!  I mean, most people (Thai and non Thai) with a license would have no need for a pink card, so that just sounds like an other "...only in Thailand..." screw-up.

So, the option seems to be either to go through the red tape and headaches of getting an otherwise useless pink card or registering in person at a hospital.

Anybody know WHICH hospital in the PATTAY area to do this at, and what the procedure would be?

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sure but some of us are high risk and want to find a sure thing place before running here and there to crowded places around town.

Hire a Grab driver to take a note from you to each hospital.  The hospital staff can write the answers and the Grab driver will bring it back.

Edited by mwbrown

3 minutes ago, mwbrown said:

Hire a Grab driver to take a note from you to each hospital.  The hospital staff can write the answers and the Grab driver will bring it back.

Sounds excessive when if one person that has found a place where you can manually register with a passport reports it then people can go there.

3 minutes ago, mwbrown said:

Hoping somebody who's already done this can say exactly which hospital they went to and how they went about doing it.  There's got to be someone here on TVF that has done this or knows how to do it, like @spetersen who recently wrote:

"Try Pattaya Memorial Hospital at Pattaya Klang / Soi Bukhao , I got a time slot there June 9"

but provided no details such as those listed by @Jingthing, like:

• Did you register with passport or did you have a Thai id number from pink card or Thai social security number?
  • Were you previously registered there or did you walk in cold?
  • You had to go in person?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

So maybe it is correct then, never the less we are trying government hospitals now, thanks for input!

What was incorrect was the statement "...can't do got to wait for Thais to get the jabs first...".

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I am also seeking a confirmed sure thing place to manually register with passport. I am high risk and don't want to be running around town risking infection just looking. 

There is a report from another member, that he registered in Pattaya Memorial, using the app. So it seems some private hospitals are further in the process than others. I would recommend therefore, that you call them with your questions. They always have reasonable well English speakers at the front desk.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

There is a report from another member, that he registered in Pattaya Memorial, using the app. So it seems some private hospitals are further in the process than others. I would recommend therefore, that you call them with your questions. They always have reasonable well English speakers at the front desk.

People with only passport numbers can't use the app.

Yes good idea to contact that hospital.

Edited by Jingthing

20 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I jus think yours is half baked 

I take it you had no success finding any links to prove me wrong, as you previously mentioned, i.e. from xyz site they said I was wrong, best to put your evidence forward before shooting yourself in the foot in the future, so to speak.

I just telephoned the Pattaya Memorial Hospital and was told that at present foreigners can NOT register in person; only through the Mor Prom app, and only with the Pink Card ????  At least that what I was told by hospital staff on the phone.

So, I guess it boils down to "trying" to get the otherwise useless Pink Card, or waiting for possible improvements in the app that would allow use of a passport or Thai driver's license (either of which should already be options). 

Personally, I think the restriction of only allowing Pink Card registration is just a way for authorities to placate foreigners by saying registration is now available to them but making it incredibly difficult for the average foreigner to do, and probably impossible for many foreigners.

The reason it might be impossible is that you need a Yellow Book (tabien baan or Thai house book) to get a Pink Card.  Apparently, many Amphor offices will not issue a Yellow book to renters.  So...just another headache to deal with if you do not own your own place.

So, I guess I'm just waiting for Private hospitals to become an option.  Truth is, I really don't like the idea of getting one of the Government's "free" vaccine.  I know it's being promoted as safe and effective, but I really have my doubts about its' efficacy compared with the Western vaccines.

I have to keep reminding myself that Thailand is still one of the safest places in the world to be unvaccinated, in spite of what's going on here right now, so proper social distancing should do the trick until Western vaccines are available privately, and I think (hope) that will be sooner than many expect. 

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

I just telephoned the Pattaya Memorial Hospital and was told that at present foreigners can NOT register in person; only through the Mor Prom app, and only with the Pink Card ????  So, I guess it boils down to getting the otherwise useless Pink Card, or waiting for possible improvements in the app. 

Personally, I think the restriction of only allowing Pink Card registration is just a way for authorities to placate foreigners by saying registration is now available to them but making it incredibly difficult for the average foreigner to do, and probably impossible if you rent and do not own your place.

The reason it might be impossible is that you need a Yellow Book (tabien baan or Thai house book) to get a Pink Card.  Apparently, many Amphor offices will not issue a Yellow book to renters.  So...just another headache to deal with if you do not own your own place.

So, I guess I'm just waiting for Private hospitals to become an option.  Truth is, I really don't like the idea of getting one of the Government's "free" vaccine.  I know it's being promoted as safe and effective, but I really have my doubts about its' efficacy compared with the Western vaccines.

I have to keep reminding myself that Thailand is still one of the safest places in the world to be unvaccinated, in spite of what's going on here right now, so proper social distancing should do the trick until Western vaccines are available privately, and I think (hope) that will be sooner than many expect. 

Thanks for that.

Well PIH is saying they might have doses by June or July. 

Sinovac and probably something else more acceptable. 

No guarantees but I'm very close to giving up and just waiting and hoping that PIH or other private hospitals come through for us without having to wait a ridiculous amount of time. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks for that.

Well PIH is saying they might have doses by June or July. 

Sinovac and probably something else more acceptable. 

No guarantees but I'm very close to giving up and just waiting and hoping that PIH or other private hospitals come through for us without having to wait a ridiculous amount of time. 

PIH is Pattaya International Hospital?  Is that private?

Maybe somebody should organise a petition to the Covid Czar from the interested expats in Thailand, explaining that many of us seem to be being left out in the cold by the current system, and perhaps he could allow private hospitals in areas with large expat populations to actually import and sell vaccines, as they are supposed to be able to do but apparently cannot for whatever reason.

Around 18 months ago, didn't one of the well-known expats living here organise a petition to the government about something, and they actually seemed to take notice?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

PIH is Pattaya International Hospital?  Is that private?

Yes. Definitively. Without commenting on quality they are usually somewhat less expensive than BPH.

To be clear PIH is NOT booking names now. 

Edited by Jingthing

26 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Maybe somebody should organise a petition to the Covid Czar from the interested expats in Thailand, explaining that many of us seem to be being left out in the cold by the current system, and perhaps he could allow private hospitals in areas with large expat populations to actually import and sell vaccines, as they are supposed to be able to do but apparently cannot for whatever reason.

Around 18 months ago, didn't one of the well-known expats living here organise a petition to the government about something, and they actually seemed to take notice?

It's just a big political game being played by officials with vested interests (at our expense).  I might be off based but I think a lot of the decision makers right now have self-serving reasons for putting up all the roadblocks to private procurement of vaccines. 

All of the arguments I've heard against private procurement by hospitals are pure nonsense, and sound incredibly disingenuous to say the least...and that is just putting it politely.

Hopefully wiser officials will step in, realizing that every vaccinated person, regardless of whether they are Thai or foreign, is one less person to spread the virus to the population as a whole, and one step closer to restoring Thailand's tourism economy.

Nothing should be more important than assuring the fastest vaccine rollout possible, and what we are seeing right now is a shameful and utter fiasco.  There's absolutely no excuse for it; none at all, and I think that new officials will step in and things will quickly change in a dramatic way.

Edited by WaveHunter