Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Preferably with sincerity and a spirit of helpfulness.

Happily, but I fear you may have misinterpreted the question, which is not so helpful and possibly insincere??

"the Australian Embassy announced that Australia had given Thailand 68 million baht (About 2.8 million USD) to support Thailand’s vaccine program and to help Thailand vaccinate the country faster".

No mention of helping the Aussie expats out with getting vaccinated of course.

Naturally this money will go to purchasing more vaccines right ????

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/01/australia-donates-68-million-baht-to-thailand-to-support-vaccinations/

Edited by 4MyEgo

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

embassy help would be welcomed. 

Also I don't think it's that big of a diplomatic problem as long as embassy provided dose are not earlier than the beginning of the Thai mass program.

I can see nothing of any sense or utility in these ideas.

Edited by PGSan

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

the Australian Embassy announced that Australia had given Thailand 68 million baht (About 2.8 million USD) to support Thailand’s vaccine program and to help Thailand vaccinate the country faster".

What on earth use will that be to anyone? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PGSan said:

What on earth use will that be to anyone? 

My point being, it would have been nice if the Australian government gave that money to the Thai government to vaccinate its Australian Citizens as opposed to putting others before there own.

Edited by 4MyEgo

Just now, 4MyEgo said:

My point being, it would have been nice if the Australian government gave that money to the Thai government to vaccinate its Australian Citizens as opposed to putting other before there own.

I think they should have done both but it sounds like they're throwing their nationals under the bus. Join the crowd!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

It's just a big political game being played by officials with vested interests (at our expense).  I might be off based but I think a lot of the decision makers right now have self-serving reasons for putting up all the roadblocks to private procurement of vaccines. 

All of the arguments I've heard against private procurement by hospitals are pure nonsense, and sound incredibly disingenuous to say the least...and that is just putting it politely.

Hopefully wiser officials will step in, realizing that every vaccinated person, regardless of whether they are Thai or foreign, is one less person to spread the virus to the population as a whole, and one step closer to restoring Thailand's tourism economy.

Nothing should be more important than assuring the fastest vaccine rollout possible, and what we are seeing right now is a shameful and utter fiasco.  There's absolutely no excuse for it; none at all, and I think that new officials will step in and things will quickly change in a dramatic way.

My concern is that a national vaccine rollout is an extremely complicated logistical problem, I know of numerous people in my home town in the UK who fell through the cracks in the system for one reason or another, in spite of being registered with the NHS. The government has clearly stated that all residents of Thailand will receive the vaccine, without clarifying what exactly constitutes a resident. It would be nice if somebody could bring the fact that the vast majority of retired expats are not being included in Thailand's programme at the moment to the PM's attention. Perhaps one of the more helpful ambassadors (so definitely not the British wallah then, lol) would take it up on our behalf, but I have no relevant contacts, I'm sure some BM's must do, though. 

37 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Maybe somebody should organise a petition to the Covid Czar from the interested expats in Thailand, explaining that many of us seem to be being left out in the cold by the current system, and perhaps he could allow private hospitals in areas with large expat populations to actually import and sell vaccines, as they are supposed to be able to do but apparently cannot for whatever reason.

Around 18 months ago, didn't one of the well-known expats living here organise a petition to the government about something, and they actually seemed to take notice?

Generally this type of approach does not succeed here... as I recall with the Embassy letters and Extension concerns of the past. Causing embarrassment often yields results.

Just now, jacko45k said:

Generally this type of approach does not succeed here... as I recall with the Embassy letters and Extension concerns of the past. Causing embarrassment often yields results.

International press of vaccine desperate elderly expats?

• Haha 2

Quite interesting that some foreigners have been able to register through หมอพร้อม (Dr. Ready).

If I remember correctly, in a recent CCSA (Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration) briefing it was mentioned that the first round of registrations and vaccinations was for Thai nationals only, and that an app for use by foreigners was in the process of being developed and we should just wait for further announcements.

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

what does succeed here though is "saving face".  All the claims by certain officials that the rollout is on track are obviously not true and more and more prominent Thai people are voicing their sentiments about that with no punches pulled , such as Dr Suphat Hasuwankit (see article).  It won't be long before some dramatic changes occur with who is in charge of the rollout and how it is being conducted, if for no other reason than national pride.

45 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Quite interesting that some foreigners have been able to register through หมอพร้อม (Dr. Ready).

If I remember correctly, in a recent CCSA (Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration) briefing it was mentioned that the first round of registrations and vaccinations was for Thai nationals only, and that an app for use by foreigners was in the process of being developed and we should just wait for further announcements.

Really?

That would be big news.

Can others confirm that?

Of course if it doesn't accept passport numbers then it would still be useless for lots of us.

I want to confirm an assumption that I have. 

Suppose a person without  the yellow book / pink card ID number thingie that is needed to book vaccines online got it NOW.

My understanding is that it still would NOT work to book a vaccine online because your new number would not be in their database and it needs to be in their database to book.

Or perhaps getting it now means it would be in their database. 

So which is it?

Edited by Jingthing