Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

As of right now these are my current conclusions about the vaccine access situation for expats in Pattaya. 

Online appointments with ID number for private hospitals.  Not possible. 

If you have an online booking with ID for June at a public hospital here it probably will prove to be invalid based on a software error. But we'll see. 

Have passport only?

Not possible to book online. 

No bookings in person possible with either ID number or passport at private hospitals. Probably later. I think for August vaccines. 

Not one report of an in person booking at a public hospital here.

There is a promise of a new separate tool for foreigners in English that will probably accept passport numbers but we don't know when and it will probably be for bookings in August and later. That's the free program. No choice of vaccines 

I suggest periodically checking with the private hospitals for developments but my reading now is that won't be for foreigners until August. There will likely be a better choice of brands.

In summation my recommendation take it or leave it is

HURRY UP AND WAIT

Things can change on a dime though so people with personal experience in PATTAYA  that might be helpful to all of us seeking doses here  please do post.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

surely we have learned to disregard any govt statements or process here for farang vax

must assume its all political nonsense.

we are foreigners in Asia : there is with no NHS riding to the rescue.....

just register at private hospital for your selected vax, stay safe and wait to be called......

Private hospitals in Pattaya are not registering people for vaccines now! They don't even know when or what brands they might get.

Remember this topic is for Pattaya expats only.

Edited by Jingthing

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Oh stop!

I did!

No dice.

You clearly haven't even followed this.

You've voiced your opinion. You've attacked me personally. I think we're done.

It seems to me that every endeavour to explain the situation in a rational way has elicited an almost frantic, panicky response from you. You are not alone in your situation, I share very similar circumstances but I am prepared to keep calm and stay safe until I, and my family, have an opportunity to get vaccinated.

If you don't agree with me, that doesn't mean I attacked you personally. Disagreement = debate, and debate resolves problems - if you are prepared to listen.

• Like 1

Again if anyone has any news or personal experiences that are directly relevant to helping the expat public get doses in Pattaya please do post.

For example you check with PIH later and they say NOW we are taking bookings. Then please tell us so they don’t need to get bothered by too many people.

My feeling now is that we are probably in waiting mode probably for  months.

It will be interesting and relevant to hear if the online bookings made for June are actually honored. This is because there have been multiple reports that the government did not intend to open bookings to non Thais that early but it happened because of a glitch. So having a booking then if it was a mistake may prove worthless.  Or I suppose they could honor mistake bookings and block further ones.

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, I think so too.

Things will be much clearer in a few months time.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Yes, I think so too.

Things will be much clearer in a few months time.

Yes and unless there is major news or game changing personal experience reports sooner the main purpose of this thread might be as a placeholder for LATER. 

34 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Again if anyone has any news or personal experiences that are directly relevant to helping the expat public get doses in Pattaya please do post.

It will be interesting and relevant to hear if the online bookings made for June are actually honored.

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes and unless there is major news or game changing personal experience reports sooner the main purpose of this thread might be as a placeholder for LATER. 

I would look at the situation forensically. Thailand has accepted the Sinovac knowing that it's efficacy is well below that of the western vaccines yet it does provide significant protection for it's front-line health workers.

As far as I know, the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines have not been approved yet in TH - probably due to their storage temperature criteria. There will be an immediate and significant delay to the AZ vaccine due to the ongoing crisis in India - AZ's biggest producer.

However, Thailand has a vaccine production facility which is gearing up for AZV production, latest news suggests this is nearing completion and it would be reasonable to suspect that the Thai government would prefer this to be their main source because, like India, they can prioritise their own population.

In essence, there is a plan evolving and it requires some patience before we run around with spurious theories about preferential treatment.

Edited by 3STTW
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Anyone got a link to the Android app?

My daughter tried to register me on Line on Saturday but apparently it wasn't accepting my pink ID card number.

There is an android app called mohpromt, but its only for chonburi Hospitals

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mor.promplus

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah possibly but the writing on the wall that I'm reading is the government is taking control of the TIMING at the private hospitals. For political optics they don't want any richer Thais buying vaccine before June or any f-rangs even high risk ones buying in before August. To mirror the free program. I could be wrong but that's what I'm seeing at this point.

Like the "Government" took control of Face Masks, Alcohol,hand sanitizer, Price gouging on eggs .....this is Thailand where anything goes and there is no policing or law enforcement on anything....and you are not going to tell or enforce any private Hospital as to whose arm you can or cannot stick a needle in. imho

So don,t get stressed...get some sunshine and eat liver to keep up your vitamin D levels.....and good luck.

39 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

Like the "Government" took control of Face Masks, Alcohol,hand sanitizer, Price gouging on eggs .....this is Thailand where anything goes and there is no policing or law enforcement on anything....and you are not going to tell or enforce any private Hospital as to whose arm you can or cannot stick a needle in. imho

So don,t get stressed...get some sunshine and eat liver to keep up your vitamin D levels.....and good luck.

Maybe not, but the government can definitely stop the private hospitals from buying their own vaccines as they've already announced and as they are controlling that, of course they also control when those hospitals get doses, how many, and which brands. 

It's also possible the private hospitals won't get any doses until use for August when it would be open to all. 

Of course we can't possibly know the exact details yet of about how all this is going to play out over time,  but we can begin to see a rough sketch of what's probably happening -- such as that the public earlier phase for HIGH RISK is only meant for Thais

I totally agree about Vitamin D and have been doing that but Vitamin D is NOT a vaccine.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

Maybe this post will help convince some of the sceptics of the situation.

Click on  the POINTER ICON to read this very informative post.

Summary.

Foreigners including HIGH RISK foreigners are NOT given access to vaccines in the earlier phases which start in June.

Our access starts in August with signing up in July.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Brierley said:

Mine are that the drug companies are right to take this approach but I wonder if they considered the possibility that governments might try and profiteer.

I don't think they have much choice. Bypassing the Government is not an option. Obviously the Government wants to be in complete control of vaccines, and many may see that as sinister, but is it not the approach also taken in the UK?

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 12:47 PM, spetersen said:

Pink ID is a Thai ID for foreigners , with a 13 digit number where the two fist digits tells that you are a foreigner , you can get that but first you need to get a yellow tabien ban as far as I know , at least  I had to to it 2015.

thank you, have pink id, app wont accept though

2 minutes ago, alant said:

thank you, have pink id, app wont accept though

There are posts on here saying it has been accepted by some... have to use 2 different numbers from it IIRC. (Plus you may need to be over 60).

Edited by jacko45k

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Summary.

Foreigners including HIGH RISK foreigners are NOT given access to vaccines in the earlier phases which start in June.

Repeating the same information and personal opinion on a daily basis won't help you get vaccinated any quicker. Sit back, relax and wait your turn, patience is a virtue at times living here.

• Like 1

I take it that most people will have seen this announcement by now?

"Expats with a Thai ID or ‘pink’ registration card can use this service while those living in the kingdom who use their national passport as their main ID, cannot.

Officials suggest that, for now, expats or foreign residents should contact their local hospital or medical facility to book an appointment if they are over 60 or have an underlying condition."

Fine, that doesn't contradict anything we've read here so far, but the question is: WHICH local hospital, can it be a private one or must it be a government hospital? The article mentions plans to vaccinate people at government AND private hospitals, as well as at places like shopping malls, so we just need the likes of PIH and BHP to wake up and smell the vaccine, and let us make a booking, lol.

40 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Repeating the same information and personal opinion on a daily basis won't help you get vaccinated any quicker. Sit back, relax and wait your turn, patience is a virtue at times living here.

I am trying to cover this topic to shed light on this situation for ALL expats in the Pattaya area seeking vaccines. Your snarky personal advice is not welcome. This is a serious topic. I consider the above post trollish. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I take it that most people will have seen this announcement by now?

"Expats with a Thai ID or ‘pink’ registration card can use this service while those living in the kingdom who use their national passport as their main ID, cannot.

Officials suggest that, for now, expats or foreign residents should contact their local hospital or medical facility to book an appointment if they are over 60 or have an underlying condition."

Fine, that doesn't contradict anything we've read here so far, but the question is: WHICH local hospital, can it be a private one or must it be a government hospital? The article mentions plans to vaccinate people at government AND private hospitals, as well as at places like shopping malls, so we just need the likes of PIH and BHP to wake up and smell the vaccine, and let us make a booking, lol.

We don't have even one report of any expat in Pattaya successfully registering for an appointment date at all, much less in June, in person, with passport, at a private or public hospital here. 

Thus the news article being referred to that suggests doing something that doesn't work kind of feels like GASLIGHTING. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Summary.

That's also how I understand it, based on what has been said in the CCSA (Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration) briefings.

I suspect that it just might be a fluke that some foreigners have already been able to register and book vaccination appointments.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

As of right now these are my current conclusions about the vaccine access situation for expats in Pattaya. 

Online appointments with ID number for private hospitals.  Not possible. 

If you have an online booking with ID for June at a public hospital here it probably will prove to be invalid based on a software error. But we'll see. 

Have passport only?

Not possible to book online. 

No bookings in person possible with either ID number or passport at private hospitals. Probably later. I think for August vaccines. 

Not one report of an in person booking at a public hospital here.

There is a promise of a new separate tool for foreigners in English that will probably accept passport numbers but we don't know when and it will probably be for bookings in August and later. That's the free program. No choice of vaccines 

I suggest periodically checking with the private hospitals for developments but my reading now is that won't be for foreigners until August. There will likely be a better choice of brands.

In summation my recommendation take it or leave it is

HURRY UP AND WAIT

Things can change on a dime though so people with personal experience in PATTAYA  that might be helpful to all of us seeking doses here  please do post.

I've been researching as well and have come to the same conclusion as you.  The MorProm app on LINE is nothing more than a hasty way to placate foreigners with a false sense of security.  It's akin to "dangling a carrot in front of a donkey" IMHO. 

As a Westerner, I think it's much more advisable to wait for private hospitals to get superior western vaccines.  I know that Thai authorities assure the asian versions are just as safe and effective, but I have grave doubts that is really true.

The promise of a English version of MorProm where you can use passport numbers is probably just more disingenuous "dangling of the carrot".

The way I see it, we'll probably be able to get the western vaccines through private hospitals maybe as early as August but more likely by October.

I mean, the majority of the general population BETTER be vaccinated by then or else the Thai economy is not going to survive another high season with no tourism!

So, my view is to hunker down and be safe with social distancing until then, keeping in mind that we are still in one of the safest countries in the world for the non-vaccinated.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I've been researching as well and have come to the same conclusion as you.  The MorProm app on LINE is nothing more than a hasty way to placate foreigners with a false sense of security.  It's akin to "dangling a carrot in front of a donkey" IMHO. 

As a Westerner, I think it's much more advisable to wait for private hospitals to get superior western vaccines.  I know that Thai authorities assure the asian versions are just as safe and effective, but I have grave doubts that is really true.

The promise of a English version of MorProm where you can use passport numbers is probably just more disingenuous "dangling of the carrot".

The way I see it, we'll probably be able to get the western vaccines through private hospitals maybe as early as August but more likely by October.

I mean, the majority of the general population BETTER be vaccinated by then or else the Thai economy is not going to survive another high season with no tourism!

So, my view is to hunker down and be safe with social distancing until then, keeping in mind that we are still in one of the safest countries in the world for the non-vaccinated.

There is no way the majority of the Thai population will be vaccinated by the end of this year. If they reach 25 percent they would be doing very well. 

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There is no way the majority of the Thai population will be vaccinated by the end of this year. If they reach 25 percent they would be doing very well. 

Reaching herd immunity is all that's important, and that does not require all people to be vaccinated. 

I recently read an article in The Lancet (which is probably the most highly recognized medical journal in the world), in which new studies are indicating that herd immunity can be achieved with only 50% of the population vaccinated, where it was previously believed it would require 70%). 

So, for Thailand 50% would be around 35 million people.  That would mean 7 million people per month (between June and October).  Huge number of shot for sure, but still possible.

To date some 2 million doses of the Sinovac vaccine and 61 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine have been ordered by Thailand, so with what has been ordered, about 25% of the population becoming vaccinated is already in the pipeline.

With 5 months to go from June through October, I don't think it's impossible to realize 50% of the population becoming vaccinated...if authorities get beyond the present "political" inertia that's holding things up.

I think the real issue is not that vaccines from around the world are not available to Thailand.  The real problem is that Thailand FDA keeps dragging their heels on approval, and changing their requirements for certification.

Perhaps I'm misinformed but it makes no sense to me to be so rigorous in this approval process when many other countries have approved their use.  Why should Thailand have different approval standards than the rest of the world?  Just makes no sense to me, but the solution to getting 50% of the population vaccinated could happen fairly quick if this MAJOR roadblock were removed. 

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

There are posts on here saying it has been accepted by some... have to use 2 different numbers from it IIRC. (Plus you may need to be over 60).

IIRC? help please.

Have tries front number and back number in respective fields but says I am doing wrong

1 minute ago, alant said:

IIRC? help please.

Have tries front number and back number in respective fields but says I am doing wrong

If I recall correctly....Sorry only parroting what I read here and no personal experience, no pink book, yellow book  whatever... I will be using brownish notes I expect. 

• Haha 1

I don't understand all the confusion regarding who will get vaccines first, and registrations.

From what I see they  are following a typical path(s) already used in US, EU and other places.

i.e. 

Health care workers first

people 65 "or 75" next, 65 shortly after.

etc, etc

Anyone can register at any time, and part of the application is to require your AGE, pre-existing health conditions, etc, etc... then it all gets sorted out. If you are currently 21, is OK to register now, but do not expect to be notified anytime soon that you are in the Que.

There are already existing articles online that says "for now" you need the THAI ID to register, but that they are working on being able to get everyone included.

9 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Only if the Thai Government sells to them.

And that is very unlikely.

2 hours ago, Trvlr55 said:

I don't understand all the confusion regarding who will get vaccines first, and registrations.

From what I see they  are following a typical path(s) already used in US, EU and other places.

i.e. 

Health care workers first

people 65 "or 75" next, 65 shortly after.

etc, etc

Anyone can register at any time, and part of the application is to require your AGE, pre-existing health conditions, etc, etc... then it all gets sorted out. If you are currently 21, is OK to register now, but do not expect to be notified anytime soon that you are in the Que.

There are already existing articles online that says "for now" you need the THAI ID to register, but that they are working on being able to get everyone included.

A few things. 

The Thailand priority scheme is not the same as the U.S. but you are correct, they do have a priority scheme.

Your implication that Thailand's scheme is treating Thais and non-Thais the same simply doesn't reflect the reality at all. 

The current online booking tools were not designed to register non-Thais but it so happens that some non-Thais figured out how to do so anyway. 

So some have bookings.

Hopefully all of those bookings will be honored and not cancelled, but we don't know. 

The majority of expats don't even have the needed Thai i.d. number anyway for that tool in the first place. So for them, impossible to do online. 

The bookings right now on that tool are supposed to be for the HIGH RISK group. Age 60 and over and a list of specific health conditions. Bookings in MAY to start JUNE. 
Some expats have been able to book manually, particularly in smaller places like villages, etc.

But in general expats that only have passports and can't use the current online tool can't manually register at medical facilities at all and are overwhelmingly and very consistently being told, not for you now, for you it's booking in July for August, in effect EXCLUDING the majority of HIGH RISK expats from any chance of a booking.

Private hospitals have no doses and can't say when they might have them, so they can't make specific bookings, period.

We also have many reports of private hospitals telling people that expats will be on the same schedule as above assuming they get doses -- booking in July for August, again excluding HIGH RISK expats from the earlier phase starting in June.

You say "anyone can register at any time."

NO. NO. NO. 

That is just totally wrong. 

You are right that a registration tool targeted for expats has apparently been said to be coming.

But no schedule. No time estimate. 

The reality on the ground is that because OVERWHELMINGLY people making direct inquiries are being told the plan for expats is book starting in JULY, for doses starting in AUGUST.

Again, in effect at this point in time, there is no logical conclusion to come to other than HIGH RISK expats are for most part being EXCLUDED from being in the earlier time (JUNE) priority group and that is for Thais, with a minority of exceptions as described above. In my estimation it's probably a very small minority of exceptions. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MAJOR NEWS FLASH

I have said before that all of this can instantly change on a dime.

Maybe it just did. 

Hello dummies! (See the headline here.)

I now have for you potentially FANTASTIC good news for expats in Pattaya seeking vaccines!

Without copying the exact source as there are ethical issues with that I can present to you this summary of this news.

From Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

BPH is now saying:

They have pre-ordered vaccines.

They intend to offer it to ALL, Thai, not Thai, Klingons even (for a price obviously).

They have not revealed the brand or brands of said vaccines.

They project that said vaccines will be available END OF JUNE!

They still have some things to finalize so I guess that means this isn't 100 percent yet.

They will be updating their website and FB page with updates as they have them.

You can contact them and be put on a list for direct notification although they are not taking specific date bookings.

Not stated, but obviously they will accept our passports (and our cash)!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

MAJOR NEWS FLASH

I have said before that all of this can instantly change on a dime.

Maybe it just did. 

Hello dummies! (See the headline here.)

I now have for you potentially FANTASTIC good news for expats in Pattaya seeking vaccines!

Without copying the exact source as there are ethical issues with that I can present to you this summary of this news.

From Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

BPH is now saying:

They have pre-ordered vaccines.

They intend to offer it to ALL, Thai, not Thai, Klingons even (for a price obviously).

They have not revealed the brand or brands of said vaccines.

They project that said vaccines will be available END OF JUNE!

They still have some things to finalize so I guess that means this isn't 100 percent yet.

They will be updating their website and FB page with updates as they have them.

You can contact them and be put on a list for direct notification although they are not taking specific date bookings.

Not stated, but obviously they will accept our passports (and our cash)!