Losing month on Marriage Visa Extension.

I have been told my new Marriage Extension would be from the day of application.

If my current extension ends on May 30 and I apply on May 1st my new extension will end on April 30 next year.  Obviously you would lose a month.  Is this correct?  I am on my first marriage extension so this is my first encounter with this.  

Unless you are dealing with a rouge office all extensions of stay start from the end of your current permit to stay not the day you apply.

Who told you it would start from the day you apply?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uth2006 said:

Udorn Thani Immigration told me this.  

You were given incorrect information. Udon starts one year extensions from the day your permit to stay ends.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You were given incorrect information. Udon starts one year extensions from the day your permit to stay ends.

That is incorrect.  My extension expired on 10th Sept 2020 last year. I applied for new extension last year on 31 August and my extension now expires on 31st August 2021. UTH2006 was correct in what he said as my office is also Udon Thani . I actually queried it last year to be told exactly that, it expires as of date of application. The year prior to  2020 was exactly the same .

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You got cheated out of several days unless you were changing the reason for your extension.

I am on my 13th extension and all of them started of the same day every year. 

Well it looks like Udon is one of the roque offices then. Since replying I checked back  on all my others. Exactly the same, one year from date of application. Same extension type going back very many years. But what can you do about it? nothing because complaining previously got me nowhere

• Like 1

Am changing from retirement extension, to marriage this year. Will it be from the date I apply, normally 25 days before expiry, or from the usual expiry date? Sriracha Immigration. Or should I apply 2 months before, since changing type? 

At the beginning of September 2020, I started the process of changing, here in Pattaya, my non-OA visa to one based on marriage to my Thai wife. There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing. After they approved the request (but before giving me a new visa) Immigration at Jomtien Soi 5 off beach road told me to me to come back on the day before my non-OA was to expire. I returned on Nov 11 and got the visa I wanted. It was dated Oct 11, 2021. So, my new visa only gave me an additional 11 months.

I lost 3 weeks changing from retirement to thai wife last year. This year applied in January, when 90 day report was due, for extension permitted to 16 Feb 2021. Under consideration until 16 Mar 2021 when extension was granted to 16 Feb 2022.

Maybe some people are being confused by the under consideration period or UT are different.

My extension day has been 16 June for the last 29 Years, all in Bangkok and same address and I did change from Married to Retired back 1999.  IO told me to do a retirement extension and I can give it to you right how, so I changed. No more wait 30 days and come back to see if approved or not yet.  How have Fixed Bank  Account and just leave it alone. Only do a update when I get the Bank letter and the day I go, to CW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colabamumbai said:

Am changing from retirement extension, to marriage this year. Will it be from the date I apply, normally 25 days before expiry, or from the usual expiry date? Sriracha Immigration. Or should I apply 2 months before, since changing type? 

You should apply as near to the day your extension ends as possible since it will start on the day you apply for the extension based upon marriage. Most offices would not let you do it 2 months early.

On 5/1/2021 at 7:32 AM, ubonjoe said:

Unless you are dealing with a rouge office all extensions of stay start from the end of your current permit to stay not the day you apply.

Who told you it would start from the day you apply?

They did the same to me last year.  My extension was rolled back from April to March.  I think I was being "punished" from switching from a Marriage extension to a Retirement extension (remember how they use to urge us to do that - Happy, smiling IO - "You can get Retirement extension, easy easy!), and then when they added the requirements of locking up you 800k THB for two months prior and three months after - I switched back <Unhappy, frowning IO - "Why you change to retirement? I let you change back this time but no more change!!!">  Bam!  Extension rolled back 1 full month.  <shrug>

"Welcome to Outer Limits of Immigration.  We control the vertical.  We control the horizontal.  We control your extensions and extension dates.  We can make you jump up and down and through regulatory hoops.  We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set or your paperwork. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to - Thailand's Immigration system!"

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2021 at 3:29 PM, ubonjoe said:

You got cheated out of several days unless you were changing the reason for your extension.

I am on my 13th extension and all of them started of the same day every year. 

What would you suggest people do if they are given incorrect dates Joe. ? The hotline seems pretty useless.

16 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

To the best of my knowledge, when changing it will be dated from the day you apply, as it did with me.

That also happened to me once and, just by chance it was also at Udon Thani. Luckily it was spotted when I went to do a 90 day report at Sakon Nakhon, so I didn't run into overstay. But was a mad scrabble to get my application in before the expiry date.

At the time I put it down to an admin error, dialing up the wrong month on the stamp.

On 5/1/2021 at 3:02 PM, Excel said:

That is incorrect.  My extension expired on 10th Sept 2020 last year. I applied for new extension last year on 31 August and my extension now expires on 31st August 2021. UTH2006 was correct in what he said as my office is also Udon Thani . I actually queried it last year to be told exactly that, it expires as of date of application. The year prior to  2020 was exactly the same .

I use Udon office and am about to use it again.

Each year the marriage extension goes from the date the previous one expired. The under consideration period also runs for 30 days after the extension expires, irrespective of the date I apply. 

If you change from any 1 year extension reason to any other reason the year starts from the date of application.

If you extend a retirement to retirement, marriage to marriage your year is added to the end of your current extension. 

All reports on UdonMap, a very active local forum, support this. Nobody has had an extension cut short and posted about it.

Udon immigration has some local differences, this is not one of them.

TIT YMMV

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

On 5/2/2021 at 8:49 PM, pontious said:

What would you suggest people do if they are given incorrect dates Joe. ? The hotline seems pretty useless.

Before leaving with your extension check it. If it’s wrong politely, calmly and quietly  point out the mistake it will probably be corrected 

7 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I use Udon office and am about to use it again.

Each year the marriage extension goes from the date the previous one expired. The under consideration period also runs for 30 days after the extension expires, irrespective of the date I apply. 

If you change from any 1 year extension reason to any other reason the year starts from the date of application.

If you extend a retirement to retirement, marriage to marriage your year is added to the end of your current extension. 

All reports on UdonMap, a very active local forum, support this. Nobody has had an extension cut short and posted about it.

Udon immigration has some local differences, this is not one of them.

TIT YMMV

Well there are 3 of us in my area of Udon Thai, all ranging from being here from 38 to 6 years stay all having an extension based on marriage with no change for at least 6 years and as I stated for myself they are in identical situations.  I trust because you claim that nobody has posted on "Udonmap" that nobody has posted stating they have had their extension cut short, you are not inferring I am telling lies ? Mentioning the facts about myself may upset you , tough , so long as your extension is ok, so what ? good for you , now buzz of and post on your best friend's forum "Udonmap" that some people have had their extensions cut short. Otherwise stop inferring otherwise. 

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Excel said:

Well there are 3 of us in my area of Udon Thai, all ranging from being here from 38 to 6 years stay all having an extension based on marriage with no change for at least 6 years and as I stated for myself they are in identical situations.  I trust because you claim that nobody has posted on "Udonmap" that nobody has posted stating they have had their extension cut short, you are not inferring I am telling lies ? Mentioning the facts about myself may upset you , tough , so long as your extension is ok, so what ? good for you , now buzz of and post on your best friend's forum "Udonmap" that some people have had their extensions cut short. Otherwise stop inferring otherwise. 

If you want to get your underwear in a bunch so drastically that you have forgotten the difference between infer and imply, assuming you know it, that you can’t actually read what was written doesn’t change facts.

you state that your group of 3 have all received reduced lengths of extension.

The local forum has a very active, reasonably large, number of people posting, most use Udon immigration office. Many people post about that office specially if they have a problem.

Nobody has had your experience and posted about it.

I am certainly not going to post unsubstantiated claims, specially not from someone who doesn’t bother to read what is written but jumps to conclusions. 

you are welcome to infer anything you like from this post, it’s all in your mind.

I am making no implications

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you want to get your underwear in a bunch so drastically that you have forgotten the difference between infer and imply, assuming you know it, that you can’t actually read what was written doesn’t change facts.

you state that your group of 3 have all received reduced lengths of extension.

The local forum has a very active, reasonably large, number of people posting, most use Udon immigration office. Many people post about that office specially if they have a problem.

Nobody has had your experience and posted about it.

I am certainly not going to post unsubstantiated claims, specially not from someone who doesn’t bother to read what is written but jumps to conclusions. 

you are welcome to infer anything you like from this post, it’s all in your mind.

I am making no implications

Well at least I have a mind, and not delusional into thinking because I have had a good experience everyone else must have. However as I do for all antagonistic posters who prefer to live in their own small world  bye bye you are on ignore

On 5/2/2021 at 6:20 PM, ubonjoe said:

You should apply as near to the day your extension ends as possible since it will start on the day you apply for the extension based upon marriage. Most offices would not let you do it 2 months early.

My Extension of Stay based on Retirement had an expiry date of 15-Feb-21 and I applied to change to an Extension of Stay based on Marriage on 25-Jan-21. I was granted permission to say until 24-Jan-22, so 12 months from date of application when changing reasons.

On 5/4/2021 at 5:51 PM, Gahn5 said:

My Extension of Stay based on Retirement had an expiry date of 15-Feb-21 and I applied to change to an Extension of Stay based on Marriage on 25-Jan-21. I was granted permission to say until 24-Jan-22, so 12 months from date of application when changing reasons.

The loss of time when changing the reason for an extension is standard and, AFIK, every office has this practice. The new extension period runs from the date of application (as you found out). 

So far @Excel has decided to throw his toys out of his pram and keep to himself with his 2 friends rather than support his statement with proof that he lost time when extending for the same reason (marriage to marriage/ retirement to retirement). He certainly maybe correct, if so his is the first report I have seen and certainly the first from Udon Thani immigration. It could equally be that he miss read his passport and didn’t want to admit his mistake. 

If he is correct (and the 2 extensions do not equal 2 years) then either a mistake was made by immigration and he didn’t try or bother to ask for it to be corrected, or he has been deliberately cheated by immigration. 

The immigration officers make mistakes and correct them. While I was having my extension application processed today the officer had made a mistake the client came back and she corrected her mistake. No problem, no fuss. 

The under consideration period for a marriage extension runs for 30 days from the expiration of your current permission to stay in the udon office area. So I can not absolutely prove that my new extension will be added to my current one for about 5 weeks when I need to go back, however I will be extremely surprised if it doesn’t. 

I think the first time extension starts from the day you applied, rest of the extensions continue where its ends. this is also same for 90 day report, starts from the the day you applied not the date they give you. thats what happened to me.. but im using agency

Edited by problemfarang