Site for Trek spare parts?

Smithson

Well, for the gears, you'll look for the parts for that groupset. Not from Trek but probably Shimano. For rims, Trek makes their own, Bontrager. The gears, etc, are easy to find and you can get them at most decent bike shops.

I bought all my spare parts from Lazada.

Shifters, cassettes, they have then all, but a bit of searching might be required.

Not sure why you'd want a rim, usually easier to source a replacement wheel from Facebook marketplace, a second hand wheel is usually around 1,000bht.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/chiangmaiusedbikesforsale

Edited by BritManToo

My bike has been sitting for a while and is a bit rusted. I've got a Thai guy working on it for me and he's telling me I need parts and coming up with all sorts of names and figures.

We're both speaking Thai, the problem is he's not good at explaining or sticking to topic, one min talking about brakes and the next about a chain.

The important thing I need is something he's calling a 'free', similar to the circled item below: image.png.74ec16b22e6972da675cdde771aa3360.png

Can anyone tell me where I can find such a part online?

My concern is the guys going to replace everything, when it may not be necessary. He wants to either change all gears and cassette or remove them and make it a single speed bike.

Experience tells me to do one thing at time. I'm looking for what parts are available. If the bike can't change gears, then I think it can just be left in a certain gear, but this guy wants to remove all gearing or replace it all.

It's not really worth fixing everything due to the cost and because I don't use the bikes that much.

2 hours ago, Smithson said:

The important thing I need is something he's calling a 'free', similar to the circled item below:

Second hand wheels cost 1,000bht.

How much does he want to charge for repairs.

Also if it won't change gears, which bit is broken, shifter or derailleur?

I've never come across a broken freewheel, but it wouldn't stop you changing gears. 

A new Deore freehub is about 3,000bht, then you will have the cost of rebuilding the wheel, about 500bht. Which is why everyone just buys a complete second hand wheel for 1,000bht when there are rear wheel problems.

Lots of scammers repairing bicycles.

Edited by BritManToo

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Second hand wheels cost 1,000bht.

How much does he want to charge for repairs...

Lots of scammers repairing bicycles.

The part he calls a 'free' is a bit under B1,000. Then there's the gears and chain, which is well rusted. So he feels these will need replacing. I was wondering if it couldn't just be left in a single gear?

I don't think he's a scammer, as I've encountered them before. It's more a matter of him not being able to express himself properly and asking me to make decisions without proper info. Once the rear wheel and gears are done, then it's the forks and so on.

1 hour ago, Smithson said:

The part he calls a 'free' is a bit under B1,000. Then there's the gears and chain, which is well rusted. So he feels these will need replacing. I was wondering if it couldn't just be left in a single gear?

I don't think he's a scammer, as I've encountered them before. It's more a matter of him not being able to express himself properly and asking me to make decisions without proper info. Once the rear wheel and gears are done, then it's the forks and so on.

Post a photo, I can't see why you'd need a fork. Freehub, gears, wheels should be ok, chain can get rusty.

Maybe cheaper to buy a new bike from Decathlon. This thai guy could be creating a bottemless pit, if he doesn't own a shop, maybe best to forget him

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Post a photo, I can't see why you'd need a fork. Freehub, gears, wheels should be ok, chain can get rusty.

Maybe cheaper to buy a new bike from Decathlon. This thai guy could be creating a bottemless pit, if he doesn't own a shop, maybe best to forget him

If I posted a photo you could see why I need new forks, they are completely rusted. The guy isn't creating a bottomless pit, that's actually what he's worried about. He wants me to decide how far I want to go because it will get expensive. The problem is he's not good on explaining details and when asked just repeats himself.

The gears aren't working, they are rusted. The wheel tends to freespin, if that's the right term - in other words the pedals don't make the back wheel turn

12 minutes ago, Smithson said:

If I posted a photo you could see why I need new forks, they are completely rusted. The guy isn't creating a bottomless pit, that's actually what he's worried about. He wants me to decide how far I want to go because it will get expensive. The problem is he's not good on explaining details and when asked just repeats himself.

The gears aren't working, they are rusted. The wheel tends to freespin, if that's the right term - in other words the pedals don't make the back wheel turn

Get a new bike, they aren't expensive, it will work out cheaper and better

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Get a new bike, they aren't expensive, it will work out cheaper and better

And it will sit there and rust like this one, I just don't have the time and don't really enjoy it that much.

On 5/2/2021 at 3:04 PM, Smithson said:

And it will sit there and rust like this one, I just don't have the time and don't really enjoy it that much.

So probably sit this one out.

Very likely the seized pawls on the freehub are the tip of the iceberg:

The bearings are likely knackered. If you want a rim as well, buying separately will require a wheel build. Cheaper to buy a complete replacement wheel and hub. Then there's the other moving bits; chain and other bearings [Headset, front wheel, bottom bracket]. And the other ills mentioned by your mechanic; brakes, gears. Bike companies have greater buying power than you or I, so rebuilding can cost more than replacing the entire bike. You'll get sticker shock at the price of decent forks.

If you don't enjoy it, bin the klunker. 

Edited by bobfish
forks
  • Like 1

It doesn't make sense to replace so many parts. Removing rust on some parts is no big deal.

I started to buy some parts on AliExpress and install them myself. My Chinese aluminum chainrings last longer than the brand names (and are 40% cheaper).

Trek MTB

I ended up just getting wheels fixes, then the bikes put into a single gear. He even replaced ball bearing in the wheels one by one. THB these mountain bikes are cost more to maintain and are less reliable than motorbikes, not much cheaper either. In general the Thai climate means things just don't last, worse for me as I'm on the edge of the rainforest.