A Disturbing Covid Fact Revealed

rcuthbert

On 5/10/2021 at 6:04 PM, Jeffr2 said:

If they can do what they do, they're smart. 

https://literaryterms.net/anthropomorphism/

"What is Anthropomorphism? Anthropomorphism is giving human traits or attributes to animals, inanimate objects or other non-human things."

People use words that describe the virus as if it has intention.  It does not.  

It can be useful to use such language as a shortcut to describing what "happens to" the virus.  The virus is not "doing things".

The changes to the virus are a result of random errors in the transcription of the genetic material of the virus.

The variants that have changes that give them an advantage in reproduction over other variants may seem to be moving the virus in an intentional direction, but it is because of the chance advantage in reproduction one variant has over another.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

https://literaryterms.net/anthropomorphism/

"What is Anthropomorphism? Anthropomorphism is giving human traits or attributes to animals, inanimate objects or other non-human things."

People use words that describe the virus as if it has intention.  It does not.  

It can be useful to use such language as a shortcut to describing what "happens to" the virus.  The virus is not "doing things".

The changes to the virus are a result of random errors in the transcription of the genetic material of the virus.

The variants that have changes that give them an advantage in reproduction over other variants may seem to be moving the virus in an intentional direction, but it is because of the chance advantage in reproduction one variant has over another.

Please, don't modify my original post.  It's a violation of forum rules.

With that being said, many of the experts refer to this virus as "smart".  I'll take their lead on this one.  And in the end, it's not far from the truth.  Given our understanding of nature.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Please, don't modify my original post.  It's a violation of forum rules.

With that being said, many of the experts refer to this virus as "smart".  I'll take their lead on this one.  And in the end, it's not far from the truth.  Given our understanding of nature.

My apologies, I was not intending to modify your post.  Not sure what that is about.  

Oh I see, you want to be quoted in full, I didn't realize that was a forum rule.

AS far as "smart", of course, call it what you will. 

Calling it smart is metaphorical so to speak, but it works.

Edited by cdemundo
Light went on about modifying post.
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

IMO no virus is "smart" as they don't have brains to be smart. What is smart is nature that designed an organism that despite having no brain has the ability to change and continue to do it's job of reproducing in a host, despite the supposedly "smart" hosts ( with a brain ) coming up with drugs to try and defeat them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO no virus is "smart" as they don't have brains to be smart. What is smart is nature that designed an organism that despite having no brain has the ability to change and continue to do it's job of reproducing in a host, despite the supposedly "smart" hosts ( with a brain ) coming up with drugs to try and defeat them.

Being very pedantic, a virus is not an organism, in that it is not a living being, such as a bacteria.  A virus infects the cells of a living organism, and increases in number when those cells biologically divide.  Anyway, it's just words ????

• Like 1

"And many boos for the idiots who say it is not effecting younger people..."

Uh...okay: 

933520129_ShareofcoviddeathsbyageUSA.png.cbc3511aa6bd43b78bd9f13f9d8e2b3e.png

I don't know where the prescription-filling doctor at  Banglamung hospital gets his information, but if the OP happens to have a link to support this claim, I am quite interested to read about it. This smacks of ill-informed, scaremongering to me. 

More to the point, variants can be more infectious, but less deadly. This would explain the uptick in cases, and an uptick in deaths, as the newer strain makes its way into previously unaffected, aged folks with comorbidities. 

"The Covid-19 variant that emerged in the U.K. and became the dominant strain in the U.S. isn’t as deadly as earlier research indicated, although it’s confirmed to be faster-spreading than other versions, according to a study."

Bloomberg -- dominant-variant-not-as-deadly-as-feared-study-finds

"Two new British studies suggest that the B.1.1.7 variant is more transmissible than the original COVID-19 variants; however, it does not appear to be more deadly or cause more severe symptoms."

ABC News --  B.1.1.7 covid-variant more transmissible but appears less deadly

------------------------------

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2021 at 4:51 PM, samtam said:

And the first wave killed 2m world-wide, and by the end of the second and third 50m had died.

There hasn't actually been a first, second and third wave, it's all the same wave progressing onwards and adapting to it's surroundings.

To think it will be stopped is ridiculous as saying 'flu can be stopped.

It can be managed at best.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Uh...okay: 

I don't know where the prescription-filling doctor at  Banglamung hospital gets his information, but if the OP happens to have a link to support this claim, I am quite interested to read about it. This smacks of ill-informed, scaremongering to me. 

More to the point, variants can be more infectious, but less deadly. This would explain the uptick in cases, and an uptick in deaths, as the newer strain makes its way into previously unaffected, aged folks with comorbidities. 

"The Covid-19 variant that emerged in the U.K. and became the dominant strain in the U.S. isn’t as deadly as earlier research indicated, although it’s confirmed to be faster-spreading than other versions, according to a study."

"Two new British studies suggest that the B.1.1.7 variant is more transmissible than the original COVID-19 variants; however, it does not appear to be more deadly or cause more severe symptoms."

2 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Uh...okay: 

My information was reported on May 1st 2021. Whereas, your sources are from April, 2021:
The access date on the graph is January 27, 2001.
Bloomberg's is "April 13, 2021, 5:30 a.m. GMT+7 Updated on April 13, 2021, 1:43 p.m. GMT+7"
ABC's is "13 April 2021, 05:31"
I remember my grade 11 English teacher's frequent reminder - "Always re-check your work."
Incidentally, do you believe that a layman's opinion, backed by dated Internet sources, and combined with the argumentum ad hominen fallacy - outweigh the current information from a front line physician?

https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+variants+india+may+2021+young+healthy&client=firefox-b-d&ei=8IKbYKX0PIOvyAPA6JQI&oq=covid+variants+india+may+2021+young+healthy&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAwyBQghEKABOgcIABBHELADOgcIIRAKEKABUJebAVii_wJgrJcDaAVwAngAgAG8A4gBlSSSAQkwLjQuOS40LjGYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6yAEIwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwilrIfWzsPwAhWDF3IKHUA0BQEQ4dUDCA0

17 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

There hasn't actually been a first, second and third wave, it's all the same wave progressing onwards and adapting to it's surroundings.

To think it will be stopped is ridiculous as saying 'flu can be stopped.

It can be managed at best.

"To think it will be stopped is ridiculous as saying 'flu can be stopped."

That is an interesting subject.  Apparently flu is way down this year.

I am interested to see what epidemiologists make of it when the dust settles.

16 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-the-flu-season-basically-disappeared-this-year

Why the Flu Season Basically Disappeared This Year

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cdemundo said:

My apologies, I was not intending to modify your post.  Not sure what that is about.  

Oh I see, you want to be quoted in full, I didn't realize that was a forum rule.

It's not a rule. In fact, the mods used to encourage copying only relevant sections provided the meaning wasn't altered. I guess now that they've changed the way long entries appear when quoted, it isn't so important.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, cdemundo said:

Any guesses as to why there's been less 'flu this year?????????????????

4 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Why has the flu disappeared since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic?

Covid killed all those that would have been destined to contract flu.......and all the steps taken to prevent covid spreading also prevented flu from spreading....is my take on it.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2021 at 4:35 AM, BritManToo said:

I don't believe modern medicine has made much of a difference to modern health, not being half staved and having poop in your drinking water has (but that's not health care). Not to mention death by war. As for 'information on how to look after your health", everyone I know (including me) seems intent on drinking and eating themselves to death as quickly as possible.

I've got lots of dead friends, they all had top modern health care, and they all died PDQ after symptoms arose.

I think you are right, but I would add one more benefit:  antibiotics.

Although, not available to everyone they are widely available and infections that killed before the use of antibiotics are now routinely cleared up with them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cdemundo said:

I think you are right, but I would add one more benefit:  antibiotics.

Although, not available to everyone they are widely available and infections that killed before the use of antibiotics are now routinely cleared up with them.

However, let's remember they do nothing for a virus, and overuse and abuse is already ending the glory days of antibiotics as resistance grows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However, let's remember they do nothing for a virus, and overuse and abuse is already ending the glory days of antibiotics as resistance grows.

I still use the antibiotic I always used and it still works.

Amoxicillin 500, I take about 3-4 courses a year since I moved to the tropics.

Stomach upsets, UTIs, but mostly infected insect bites and scratches while out in the jungle. 

Didn't take any medicine when I had COVID, antibiotics don't work on virus.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Rulie said:

https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/vaccine-development-testing-and-regulation

Vaccine development is a long, complex process, often lasting 10-15 years and involving a combination of public and private involvement.

True.  But mRNA has changed things entirely.  It's the future.  They overlapped the trials, pushed the FDA to move fast, and research had already begun for the mRNA jabs.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/heres-how-it-was-possible-to-develop-covid-19-vaccines-so-quickly#Money,-resources,-and-the-public-backed-vaccine-development