Pink ID card Debate !!!...

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I would try again today as the system was very overloaded yesterday, you need to put any pink card details exactly as they appear on the card, name in Thai as per the card (usually 1st and second name is listed as 1st name etc, there is no field for 2nd name), ID number from front of card, card number from rear of card etc.

I've give it another go in a while.

On the subject of first and second name:

My first name is listed in the "นาย" feld (Mr) with no space after นาย. Then my second name is listed as name.

At the time I didn't see that as odd, as my Thai father-in-law has the same  - นาย, no space, first name (with nothing in the first name field).

9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Never seen a pink card, in 16 years all I ever use for ID is my passport or copy of, my driving licences and yellow house book.

Does the Pink Card not come automatically with the Yellow Book?

32 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I got my yellow book at the Sriwichai district office, by the oldfire station near chang phuak.

Hardest thing I ever did in Thailand. They said the Pink ID was issued by a different office. Never followed up with it.

99% of getting a pink ID is getting the yellow book, the yellow book process generates all the information that appears on Pink ID. 

It would literally be another office in the same building that prints the pink ID, the same office that prints Thai national ID card if lost etc.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I imagine over 25 years you have obtained many Resident certificates. 

Not a single one from immigration.  Only one from my own embassy when purchasing a car.

Passport have always worked as ID for banking, Sim card, cable TV, home Internet,  The One Card, etc.

My Amphur wouldn’t give me a yellow book ( long story ) so , under recommendation of another TVF poster, I visited the city Tessabahn. They did indeed issue yellow books, he showed me some files, but said I could only get it from the Amphur due to my address/location ( despite living 5 minutes from the city and 25 minutes from the Amphur ).

A new Tessabahn has been constructed a couple of blocks away now ( not sure if actually functioning yet ).

Any others received a yellow book from their Tessabahn ??

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

My Amphur wouldn’t give me a yellow book ( long story ) so , under recommendation of another TVF poster, I visited the city Tessabahn. They did indeed issue yellow books, he showed me some files, but said I could only get it from the Amphur due to my address/location ( despite living 5 minutes from the city and 25 minutes from the Amphur ).

It depends where you are, places like Bangkok and Pattaya have different government structures, they operate as cities, not the usual Thessaban/ampher structure. The function and jurisdiction of Thessaban/ampher can vary depending on size, location.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If you start of move everything over to pink ID, then you can put your passport in the safe and go about your day to day business with just pink ID. Pink card doesn't expire like a passport does and no need to update bank, license etc. Both systems work but there are some advantages to operating in the pink card system.

AFAIK:   The 'pink card' does expire if you obtained one before the age of 60. Mine expires in 2569, obtained in 2559.

Printed on the bottom front of the card.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Pink ID card says on the front.....  Identification Card for People who do not have Thai nationality

Pink ID card says on the back....   This is not an ID card

So, which is it ??? its either an ID card or it isn’t - the information on the card itself is contradictory... and here we are as foreigners on a forum arguing the toss because of the pathetic attention to detail employed by Thai officials.... !!! 

Its an ID until it can’t be used as an ID card... I think thats about as useful as it gets for those without PR.

Holding a Pink ID card is certainly starting to look a lot more helpful under the current conditions.

-------

Getting a little deeper into the issue...  the confusion around the actual language used:

Front… 

Bud (card) prachamtoa (person) khon (person) Sung (which) mai-mee (not have) san-chart (nationality) Thai.

Back...

Bud (card) nee (this) mi-chai (not) bud (card) prachamtoa (person) prachachon (citizen)

Prachachon is the key missing word on the front which, the absence of which means its is not a ‘citizen’ identification card, but a ‘person’ identification card..... If that makes sense. 

Confusion (for some) has been resolved. Well done.

Can we ask this thread be closed now?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Madgee said:

AFAIK:   The 'pink card' does expire if you obtained one before the age of 60. Mine expires in 2569, obtained in 2559.

Printed on the bottom front of the card.

Yes, but the ID number doesn't expire/change, so a license bank account etc details stay the same.

I think over a certain age, pink ID doesnt expire.

• Like 1

Just now, Digitalbanana said:

If one has a Yellow Book but did not get a Pink Card at that time, is getting a Pink Card a fairly simple process or does it take more than one visit and lots of paper work?

Its usually a 5 minute process to take a photo and print the card, using all the details from the yellow book.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Others are finding it useful to register for the Vaccine on the Mor Prom website / App.

I’ve started this thread as a carry over from a debate on another thread where a debate was taking over.

I have also found that on occasion my septic tanks back-up during the  rainy season. But I don't build a new tank do I?

Even more reason to ask this thread be closed.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

If one has a Yellow Book but did not get a Pink Card at that time, is getting a Pink Card a fairly simple process or does it take more than one visit and lots of paper work?

yes, it was the same for me. i had a yellow book for many years but only got the pink card a couple of years ago. As i remember the whole process took just a few minutes. Just check first what documents you need to bring.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If you already have the yellow house book, you can get the pink ID card in under half an hour, for free, at the Ampur.

I read the official documents on this card, the price is 60 baht. This is the price I paid. 

This pink card is not needed to register for the covid vaccine, the yellow house book is enough. 

Even if you don't have a yellow housebook, it could be possible to register if you are registered with a hospital or the Social Security. 

2 minutes ago, wordchild said:

A friend of mine is on his second yellow book (and Pink Card) , having moved condos recently, the address was changed but the id number remained the same.  

I had a pink card registered in Khon Kaen and a yellow book in Bangkok. Only the yellow book is official, the card is not. My banks didn't recognize/accept it, neither did the driving license place in Khon Kaen. 

47 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

A new Tessabahn has been constructed a couple of blocks away now ( not sure if actually functioning yet ).

I had to pay a 1000Bt bribe to be sure of getting my yellow book at my Ampur, my wife arranged it with someone Ampur employee, not sure if it was the boss or not.

• Like 1

Some hotel registration forms have a space for Thai ID number. Coincidentally (sic) the number on a pink card has the same number of digits.

So I use a pink card for hotel check in and they dutifully write the number in the space. 

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I had to pay a 1000Bt bribe to be sure of getting my yellow book at my Ampur, my wife arranged it with someone Ampur employee, not sure if it was the boss or not.

I also had to pay, but I was on tourist visa at the time, and he also wrongly said because of us not being married. 

I have seen the law due to the yellow book, and there is no way they can deny or bribe you if you have the right visa, but they can keep on giving you trouble with having you run back and forth to pick papers and wait a month or two to get the book. We got the book in 30 min. 

16 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

When: Mid-morning about four or five years ago.

Situation: Personal ID requested to complete teller transaction on my personal account held at that branch.

Circumstances: Passport not available (in the safe back at home).

Solution: Present pink ID card (with a flourish and all-knowing smile).

Preliminary Result: Politely declined due to being 'out of province' (card issued in Udon).

Workaround: Politely asked by teller if I have a Thai driving license.

Action: Present Thai driving license (bit of obsequious head-bobbing as acknowledgement of farang rue-mahk fallacy).

Final Result: Transaction completed securely to all party's satisfaction.

Bonus Points: Got tellers phone number.

YMMV

TiT

I think you would find the pink ID was refused as its not the primary ID for the account (you opened the English name account with a passport) and its in a different language (Thai) to the account name.

The same would apply if you have an account opened with a pink ID (name in Thai), a passport wouldn't be accepted, its not the primary ID and its in a different language.

People dont seem to realise, passports and pink Ids are not interchangeable as ID documents, they are in different languages. Its the same if you get a license with a passport, you cant renew it with a pink card, and vica versa

• Like 1