Pink ID card Debate !!!...

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Another thing, only foreigners that pay tax should be valid for the free Covid vaccine.

I disagree - completely flawed ideology.

The whole point of the vaccination is not for the benefit of the individual, but for the benefit of society to create the ‘herd immunity’... 

Thus: the vaccine should be free and available to everyone.

----

This identifies an issue which has not yet received any media attention, but it will at some point.

What of all the illegal labourers, who are working in the factories, restaurants and businesses but do not have a record of being here.... How will they be vaccinated ??

The only way I see this working is if there is a ‘vaccine amnesty’ so that anyone can go to a hospital or community centre to receive the vaccine without questioning their immigration status etc.

Again, this is for the benefit of society on a whole....  Should these labourers also have to pay for their vaccine ??????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Most of the problems arise when people try and do a hotch potch combination of both systems, get a license using passport the try and renew with a pink ID etc.

This was not a problem....  my Car and Motorcycle licences were register with my passport, I renewed with my Pink ID / Yellow Book, the Thai System ID is now on my renewed licenses. 

Also, when renewing, but the DLT were not interested in the Copies of the Yellow Book and asked if I had a Pink ID card. This was a little strange for me as I figured the Yellow Book was the ‘proof of address’ and the Pink ID was just something supplementary to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I'm just waiting for the day to dawn when those limited thinking individuals who dreamt up this idea realise that not all expats have a pink ID, duh. 

I'm waiting for the day when our own 'limited thinking individuals" realize that this app and the initial vaccination rollout schedule is primarily for the locals. There's some recent press release or quote from a government talking head about the timetable for the vaccination of foreigners as "yet to be decided."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Another thing, only foreigners that pay tax should be valid for the free Covid vaccine.

I disagree - completely flawed ideology.

The whole point of the vaccination is not for the benefit of the individual, but for the benefit of society to create the ‘herd immunity’... 

Thus: the vaccine should be free and available to everyone.

----

This identifies an issue which has not yet received any media attention, but it will at some point.

What of all the illegal labourers, who are working in the factories, restaurants and businesses but do not have a record of being here.... How will they be vaccinated ??

The only way I see this working is if there is a ‘vaccine amnesty’ so that anyone can go to a hospital or community centre to receive the vaccine without questioning their immigration status etc.

Again, this is for the benefit of society on a whole....  Should these labourers also have to pay for their vaccine ??????

Agreed. I reckon the world's various tax authorities already have their claws in enough personal information to wring taxes out of you. If @Neeranam reckons that only taxpayers can get a better shot at staying alive, what next? A letter from the IRS or HMRC saying that as much as they'd like you to assist in gaining global herd immunity, there's some back taxes from 1994 that are outstanding.

Plus interest!

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That is incomplete information: 

On the back it says: The card holder cannot leave issuing area unless the card holder also carries identity (passport) issued by their own government, or have permission in writing. 

IMG_7481.jpg

Well there you go. Nowhere on the back does it mention passport. ????

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I'm waiting for the day when our own 'limited thinking individuals" realize that this app and the initial vaccination rollout schedule is primarily for the locals. There's some recent press release or quote from a government talking head about the timetable for the vaccination of foreigners as "yet to be decided."

indeed; that is what I have been saying to all those who have been applauding the recent misleading announcements by government.  Nothing will be certain until its happened.  

6 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

indeed; that is what I have been saying to all those who have been applauding the recent misleading announcements by government.  Nothing will be certain until its happened.  

Oz expats should expect special treatment after Aust 40645504-79E7-4755-9A3A-5FEAAC2DC242.thumb.png.707e1b79502cb5b206c717f72af94786.pnggovernment tipped in to assist!

16 minutes ago, carlyai said:
50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

On the back it says: The card holder cannot leave issuing area unless the card holder also carries identity (passport) issued by their own government, or have permission in writing. 

Expand  

Well there you go. Nowhere on the back does it mention passport. ????

What do you think is meant by ‘alien identity certificate’ is if its not a passport ?????? (or any other form of official ID issued by a foreign government).

Duh... some people.... ????

IMG_7481.jpg

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 1

Recently obtained my Tabien Baan from Karon Municipal then Thai ID from 

Interior Ministry (Phuket Town).TB (Yellow Book) required for Thai Foreigner Non- Citizen ID Card. Work Permit holders do not qualify for ID Card.

Not all Municipal will issue Yellow Book or ID Card.

Some want Birth Certificate Originals with Both Parent Names.

Would not even try to explain to Municipal any Passport mismatch due to any relevant Name Change / iAdoption process.....

Both documents have zero material benefit in themselves.

Except Needed for any subsequent Permanent Residency then Thai Citizen.

Otherwise Thai Driving Licence and Passport meets all ID Needs here.

Clearly the Thai Govt Photo Pink ID is an “ID Card” for Non- Citizens, as stated on both sides of Card.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Recently obtained my Tabien Baan from Karon Municipal then Thai ID from 

Interior Ministry (Phuket Town).TB (Yellow Book) required for Thai Foreigner Non- Citizen ID Card. Work Permit holders do not qualify for ID Card.

Not all Municipal will issue Yellow Book or ID Card.

Some want Birth Certificate Originals with Both Parent Names.

Would not even try to explain to Municipal any Passport mismatch due to any relevant Name Change / iAdoption process.....

Both documents have zero material benefit in themselves.

Except Needed for any subsequent Permanent Residency then Thai Citizen.

Otherwise Thai Driving Licence and Passport meets all ID Needs here.

Clearly the Thai Govt Photo Pink ID is an “ID Card” for Non- Citizens, as stated on both sides of Card.

good info thanks.  Lets hope a lot of TVF Members read it and cast off their blinkers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

IMG_7481.jpg

It says nothing about a passport. 

The alien certificate is not a passport. This is issued by Thai authorities. 

Edited by Neeranam

Over the past 2 years alone using the Yellow House Book as proof of ID has saved me 3 visits to my Embassy and the cost of 3 Affirmation of Residence Documents (approx 7500 Baht).

Residence documents are free.

Also entry into Thai National Parks for the local price, which is more about not getting told ‘<deleted>’ by the Thai government dual pricing than it is about and cost saving (I just don’t like being double charged !)

You are not paying double, you are just not getting the local discount. 

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Also entry into Thai National Parks for the local price, which is more about not getting told ‘<deleted>’ by the Thai government dual pricing than it is about and cost saving (I just don’t like being double charged !)

You are not paying double, you are just not getting the local discount. 

Ou contraire.... I am getting the local discount... Why ???? 

Potatoe, poe-taa-toe, silly stiff aside....   and not wishing to get into a ‘dual pricing debate’ (there are other threads for that) the pink card helps avoid all that silly stuff.... 

17 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Over the past 2 years alone using the Yellow House Book as proof of ID has saved me 3 visits to my Embassy and the cost of 3 Affirmation of Residence Documents (approx 7500 Baht).

Residence documents are free.

Wow... You have managed to secure your Affirmation Of Residence documents for free from your Embassy ?

Which Embassy’s consular section provides you Notary Services for free ???? 

I think you are now just making $#!T up !!!!... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

I have a yellow book, as condo unit owner, but no ID card.

My lawyer and I agree it is useless.  Even if it can get you a Thai entrance price somewhere the person doing you the solid is making an error. Only a Thai is a Thai.

If it can get a foreigner registered for vaccination it has a purpose!

Where to apply for a Pink ID card for foreigner, in Chiang Mai?

My wifes best mate is a lawyer who owns her own company ,her advice right from the start was get a yellow house book and a pink card ,it was good advice ,ive had one now for years .

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

IMG_7481.jpg

Expand  

Bai sam kan (official government document)  prachamtoa (person) khon tang dao (alien).

i.e. an official government document for foreign people. 

Bai sam Kan prachamtoa – Is a rather general term and means 'official document for a person'. A passport falls into this category. 

You have only purchased one car and never rewind your driving licence in 25 years of being here ???

I have been in Thailand slightly less than you:  I’ve required at least 7 Affirmation of Residence letters for cars & motorbikes....  Plus further 5 or 6 Affirmation of Residence letters each time I renewed my Driving & Motorcycle Licence. 

Each time I need it, I’ve been unable to get the Letter of Residence document from immigration as I’ve never been in country longer than the 90 days to have filed a 90 day report and thus at those times I was unformed I could not get a Letter of Residence / Address from immigration. 

IF, ExpatOilWorker, in the past 25 years you have never been inconvenienced by going into the Bank only to have forgotten to take your passport, then had to go home and get it, you are more organised and less forgetful than I !!! 

Fair enough, if you change motorcycle as often as some change women, then I see a pink card is handy to have, but since I am a one car (and one woman) kind of guy, it was never needed. The curse of buying a Bimmer, it never dies and comes with a young wife!

My local bank branch knows or recognize me and dole out cash just with the bank book. They only require the passport when issuing a new booklet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Fair enough, if you change motorcycle as often as some change women, then I see a pink card is handy to have, but since I am a one car (and one woman) kind of guy, it was never needed. The curse of buying a Bimmer, it never dies and comes with a young wife!

My local bank branch knows or recognize me and dole out cash just with the bank book. They only require the passport when issuing a new booklet. 

Impressive, you have been here for 25 years... and had just the one car for that period.

Woman thing is completely irrelevant, not even sure what that sidetrack is about unless you are of the belief that changing your car is a sign of promiscuity, which again, is still irrelevant to the topic !

I am not the only one curious though... Did you also get a 25 year driving licence ?

What did you use as Proof of Address when you renewed your driving licence ?

Offshore Oil Worker - assumption there is you work 4x4 schedule (in Thailand or Overseas), if overseas, no 90 day reports, can’t get a Proof of Address letter from Immigration. Only options: get an Affirmation of Residence document from Consular section of your Embassy (for the UK thats about 2500 baht a pop) or drive here illegally.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Did you also get a 25 year driving licence ?

Nope, I got a 52 year driver license!

My national license is good until I am 70 and I got it the week after I turned 18.

I have a couple of other, now expired license, from working around the world. Any of them seem to satisfy the BIB, so I never bothered getting a Thai license. 

I didn't get the car the day I arrived here, it took me a few years to get further than walking distance away from Sukhumvit.

The Bimmer is now 19 years and still going strong.

• Like 1

Bai sam kan (official government document)  prachamtoa (person) khon tang dao (alien).

i.e. an official government document for foreign people. 

Bai sam Kan prachamtoa – Is a rather general term and means 'official document for a person'. A passport falls into this category. 

Wrong, this is an official document but not a passport. Trust me, I'm Thai????

image.png.1e1bc75d72dbe41d5c8ea9f6381def4d.png

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

what, yet another form?  Have the Thai authorities nothing better to do than just issue hundreds, perhaps even thousands of forms that do the same thing as each other?  Its a bit pathetic. 

8 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

But can you get yellow or pink if you don't have a marriage certificate?

I was told no.....

Some Amphers will say you need to be married but its not the case.

You dont need to be married.

• Like 2

I use it to send parcels at Post Office and as ID at the Bank and it is accepted by most hotels instead of a passport. It is also easier and safer to carry. Police and Amphur also accept it as ID. It is very useful to have considering its ease of obtaining it.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 9:19 PM, richard_smith237 said:

So, which is it ??? its either an ID card or it isn’t - the information on the card itself is contradictory... and here we are as foreigners on a forum arguing the toss because of the pathetic attention to detail employed by Thai officials.... !!! 

Again we have the narrow minded falang view that continually wants to rubbish everything they come across.

It is merely a personal photo identification card that relates to your Tabian Baan.

It is not an ID card in a country that issues ID cards to the population, fundamental difference being that there is no data chip on the card.

It would be a different complaint if there was.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What do you think is meant by ‘alien identity certificate’ is if its not a passport ?????? (or any other form of official ID issued by a foreign government).

Like many translations over here the wording is not perfect but foreigners always want to take it literally.

When I went for mine the woman went to great lengths to explain the the text on the back meant that the card could not be used to leave the country without some other national identification. Hindsight would suggest they should have mentioned passport, but it is what it is.

Apparently the week before I went a foreigner had tried to cross the border on the card alone. After being refused he came back to the Amphur and made a complaint that he had not been advised properly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This was not a problem....  my Car and Motorcycle licences were register with my passport, I renewed with my Pink ID / Yellow Book, the Thai System ID is now on my renewed licenses. 

Also, when renewing, but the DLT were not interested in the Copies of the Yellow Book and asked if I had a Pink ID card. This was a little strange for me as I figured the Yellow Book was the ‘proof of address’ and the Pink ID was just something supplementary to that.

Chonburi DLT used to accept yellow book/pink card but have now stopped. I wonder if someone in authority has been transferred from the Pattaya office.