Pink ID card Debate !!!...

There will always be two sides of the coin to this debate. The reason being, as with many many things in Thailand there is no consistency in rules application or even attitude, and certainly not in application/use.

What one person experiences is not neccesarily what others will, even in the same office !

It will all boil down to the circumstances applicable at that moment in time to that individual. TIT

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pilotman said:
20 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Recently obtained my Tabien Baan from Karon Municipal then Thai ID from 

Interior Ministry (Phuket Town).TB (Yellow Book) required for Thai Foreigner Non- Citizen ID Card. Work Permit holders do not qualify for ID Card.

Not all Municipal will issue Yellow Book or ID Card.

Some want Birth Certificate Originals with Both Parent Names.

Would not even try to explain to Municipal any Passport mismatch due to any relevant Name Change / iAdoption process.....

Both documents have zero material benefit in themselves.

Except Needed for any subsequent Permanent Residency then Thai Citizen.

Otherwise Thai Driving Licence and Passport meets all ID Needs here.

Clearly the Thai Govt Photo Pink ID is an “ID Card” for Non- Citizens, as stated on both sides of Card.

Expand  Expand  

good info thanks.  Lets hope a lot of TVF Members read it and cast off their blinkers. 

OMG! You mean that I should give back my easily acquired yellow book and pink ID card? After all these years of certain things being enabled much faster and way cheaper? This just to satisfy those here who are frustrated by Thailand's lamentable bureaucratic inconsistencies? Or those who paid for them but haven't reaped any benefits?

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

certain things being enabled much faster and way cheaper

Like how many motorbikes or cars do you buy in the time you live here?   How many National Parks do you visit that give you a discount on a pink card? Come on, you can't really believe that  its even worth the petrol to visit an Amphur, let alone have to jump though the stupid hoops they often put in place.  Now a pink card will, or may, apparently get you a place in a queue to get an unproven and largely ineffective  Chinese or Russian vaccine.  Yea right, very useful. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Like how many motorbikes or cars do you buy in the time you live here?   How many National Parks do you visit that give you a discount on a pink card? Come on, you can't really believe that  its even worth the petrol to visit an Amphur, let alone have to jump though the stupid hoops they often put in place.  Now a pink card will, or may, apparently get you a place in a queue to get an unproven and largely ineffective  Chinese or Russian vaccine.  Yea right, very useful. 

35 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

... This just to satisfy those here who are frustrated by Thailand's lamentable bureaucratic inconsistencies? ...

pilotman.jpg.3778397b3778f761cb71a39ff1c117e8.jpg

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Recently obtained my Tabien Baan from Karon Municipal then Thai ID from 

Interior Ministry (Phuket Town).TB (Yellow Book) required for Thai Foreigner Non- Citizen ID Card. Work Permit holders do not qualify for ID Card.

Not all Municipal will issue Yellow Book or ID Card.

Some want Birth Certificate Originals with Both Parent Names.

Would not even try to explain to Municipal any Passport mismatch due to any relevant Name Change / iAdoption process.....

Both documents have zero material benefit in themselves.

Except Needed for any subsequent Permanent Residency then Thai Citizen.

Otherwise Thai Driving Licence and Passport meets all ID Needs here.

Clearly the Thai Govt Photo Pink ID is an “ID Card” for Non- Citizens, as stated on both sides of Card.

I also obtained my Tabian Bahn from Karon Municipal years ago.  When I asked about a pink card at Karon Municipal they said they do not issue to non-migrant workers.  Where did you go in Phuket Town to obtain your pink card?  I'm not familiar with the Interior Ministry Building in Phuket Town and an internet search didn't turn up anything.  Can you offer any hint as to where the Interior Ministry Building in Phuket Town you went to to obtain your pink card is located?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Chonburi DLT used to accept yellow book/pink card but have now stopped. I wonder if someone in authority has been transferred from the Pattaya office.

On various threads about renewing driving licence I too have read that the Yellow Tabien Baan (and Pink ID) is not accepted as proof of address at the Chonburi / Pattaya DLT.  This is quite astonishing as there is no better proof of address document than the Yellow Tabien Baan !!!

I can’t help but think someone in the Pattaya & Chonburi office have misinterpreted the rules and now this legacy mistake is being carried forwards. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

On various threads about renewing driving licence I too have read that the Yellow Tabien Baan (and Pink ID) is not accepted as proof of address at the Chonburi / Pattaya DLT.  This is quite astonishing as there is no better proof of address document than the Yellow Tabien Baan !!!

I can’t help but think someone in the Pattaya & Chonburi office have misinterpreted the rules and now this legacy mistake is being carried forwards. 

Well, it's the same in Phuket.  A yellow book is never accepted by the Land Transport Office in Phuket.  They always insist on a Certificate of Residence issued by the Immigration Office.

On 5/1/2021 at 10:33 PM, Sheryl said:

If you already have the yellow house book, you can get the pink ID card in under half an hour, for free, at the Ampur.

The Hard part is getting the yellow house book. Once you gave it, they can issue the card on the spot. It is a lot easier to carry around than the house book and many places will accept it as ID.  Can also get Thai price on admission to many places with it.  And, of cours, now can register for COVID vaccine with it.

The yellow book can indeed be a hassle to get but I can see no reason nto to get the pink ID card if you already have it, easiest thing in the world to do.

Certainly is a hazard. My local office were clearly building obstacles that could be overcome with a donation, but I refuse to play that game and just dropped the idea. I've lived here over 25 years without and it's never been a problem.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

It's already saved me an estimated 7500 baht over the past 2 years.  3x II have not needed to use the Notary services of the Consular section at the Biritsh Embassy to obtain the Affirmation of Residence document at ±2500 baht each.

Had I obtained the Yellow Tabien Baan much earlier I would obviously have saved much more with numbers Driving and Motorcycle licence renewals, also with various vehicle renewals.

To argue that the Pink ID / Yellow Tabien Baan is useless or worth less than the effort it takes to obtain it is daft - there is clearly a benefit to having the card. At the same time the card is not needed, but it does make somethings more convenient. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I don't agree. Well worth getting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's already saved me an estimated 7500 baht over the past 2 years.  3x II have not needed to use the Notary services of the Consular section at the Biritsh Embassy to obtain the Affirmation of Residence document at ±2500 baht each.

Had I obtained the Yellow Tabien Baan much earlier I would obviously have saved much more with numbers Driving and Motorcycle licence renewals, also with various vehicle renewals.

To argue that the Pink ID / Yellow Tabien Baan is useless or worth less than the effort it takes to obtain it is daft - there is clearly a benefit to having the card. At the same time the card is not needed, but it does make somethings more convenient. 

it would have only saved me just two visits to the immigration office for a C of R ( for licence renewal). in 4 years.  As I say, not worth the effort. 

I'd like to get this pink card to register for the vaccine.

I don't have a yellow book.

I have a blue book (condo owner).

Married to a Thai.

On a Non-O visa with retirement extension.

Can I do this and, if so, where do I go in Pattaya?

Thanks

Edited by DefaultName

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Can be used for viewing DLT training video on line and booking 5-5yr DL renewal

haha, once every 5 years?  Come on, hardly a necessity is it?  Last time I renewed my 5 year licence I wasn't required to watch the video. There is a good deal of 'clutching at straws' on this post subject,  people trying desperately to justify the unjustifiable. 

I used to have pink ID / Yellow book at a previous address, I found the yellow book actively useful a fair few times (cars, bikes, licenses, etc). I found the Pink ID card almost entirely useless, accept as a 'I am more Thai than you are' expat badge of honor. 

I will say about a decade back, before the Junta came in and the issue changed, it was helpful is getting national park discounts. Obviously not all and entirely officer discretion but the pink ID possibly helped me then but hard to know if any more or less than a Driving license. However since 14 / 15 or so when the chief of the national parks clamped down on the discretionary part, it was as useless as anything else. 

Last time I moved I didnt bother to go through with the yellow book process as this Amphur puts a few added hurdles in the way. Thats how little use I got. 

Of course it now looks like vaccine provision will be linked to it but I am not in any hurry to get Sinovac or AZ.. I predict I will be able to buy Pfizer later and thats the way I am leaning even if free was offered tomorrow. 

• Like 2

I use mine all the time as it’s permanently in my wallet if I use Kerry express they ask for passport I show them my pink ID , get discount on one of the Island ferry boats , can buy a vehicle no need for letter from immigration , pay Thai price at my dentist and as I am over a certain age it does not need renewing I travel everywhere in the Kingdom even tho my passport is nice and secure in my safe at home

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

used to have pink ID / Yellow book at a previous address, I found the yellow book actively useful a fair few times (cars, bikes, licenses, etc). I found the Pink ID card almost entirely useless, accept as a 'I am more Thai than you are' expat badge of honor. 

You could have kept the card, couldn't you?

I got a pink card from the police station, not the townhall. 

That should be "I am more NON-Thai" ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DaiHard said:

I use it to send parcels at Post Office and as ID at the Bank and it is accepted by most hotels instead of a passport. It is also easier and safer to carry. Police and Amphur also accept it as ID. It is very useful to have considering its ease of obtaining it.

As does the driving license.. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

I'd like to get this pink card to register for the vaccine.

I don't have a yellow book.

I have a blue book (condo owner).

Married to a Thai.

On a Non-O visa with retirement extension.

Can I do this and, if so, where do I go in Pattaya?

Thanks

Use the number in your blue house book(tabien bahn to some expats) to book the vaccine.

Just now, Neeranam said:

You could have kept the card, couldn't you?

I got a pink card from the police station, not the townhall. 

That should be "I am more NON-Thai" ???? 

I did for a year or two.. until a lost wallet claimed it.. 

I dont think it had left the wallet in that last added years, which is why I saw zero point in trying for another.. 

Yellow book has uses.. Pink ID, I really couldn't find any over a Thai license. 

and yeah.. more then 'more assimilated' one upmanship I guess, I probably thought it when I fist did it too.. After all if you bother to do something for it, by definition you saw value and want to prove your right (why people maintain its benefits, which are few at best) but after being knocked back over and over at dual price establishments (water parks, national parks, etc etc) I guess I was flexible enough to learn.. 

• Like 2

I don't carry my passport.  Lose it an you have big problems.
So when Khun Kon Thai says, "You have passport?"  I show them the pink card.  The only place that doesn't seem to work is at the bank - and considering it's a bank?  I've no complaints.  I prefer that level of security. And of course immigration.  I believe DMV wanted my passport and copies too, but?  Once every 5 years?  Not a problem. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Yellow book has uses.. Pink ID, I really couldn't find any over a Thai license. 

I agree.  

Some use it to renew their DL every 5 years(proof of address). Khon Kaen didn't accept mine. 

Residence certs are free from immigration anyway. 

Even my banks wouldn't accept it, I had to show my passport. 

I was refused in a hotel with it. I got on a plane with it, but always could with my DL. 

Seems like some here are promoting this thing for some strange reason. 

It doesn't do any harm having it but not really worth the effort. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, connda said:

I don't carry my passport.  Lose it an you have big problems.
So when Khun Kon Thai says, "You have passport?"  I show them the pink card.  The only place that doesn't seem to work is at the bank - and considering it's a bank?  I've no complaints.  I prefer that level of security. And of course immigration.  I believe DMV wanted my passport and copies too, but?  Once every 5 years?  Not a problem. 

My bank wouldn't accept my blue Thai ID card at first. I had to speak to the manager and prove it was real. 

I don't believe those who say they opened bank accounts only with this pink thing. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/1/2021 at 9:19 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Pink ID card says on the front.....  Identification Card for People who do not have Thai nationality

Pink ID card says on the back....   This is not an ID card

So, which is it ??? its either an ID card or it isn’t - the information on the card itself is contradictory... and here we are as foreigners on a forum arguing the toss because of the pathetic attention to detail employed by Thai officials.... !!! 

Its an ID until it can’t be used as an ID card... I think thats about as useful as it gets for those without PR.

Holding a Pink ID card is certainly starting to look a lot more helpful under the current conditions.

-------

Getting a little deeper into the issue...  the confusion around the actual language used:

Front… 

Bud (card) prachamtoa (person) khon (person) Sung (which) mai-mee (not have) san-chart (nationality) Thai.

Back...

Bud (card) nee (this) mi-chai (not) bud (card) prachamtoa (person) prachachon (citizen)

Prachachon is the key missing word on the front which, the absence of which means its is not a ‘citizen’ identification card, but a ‘person’ identification card..... If that makes sense. 

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.  I never paid close enough attention to the Thai to see that. 
Yep? 
On the back:
"Code of Practice for ID Card Holders:
1. This card is not an identity card."

An ID Card that Is Not An ID Card.  This is Thailand.  Any questions?  ????

"We keep you dirty foreigners spinning, spinning, spinning." 
Nice catch Richard Smith - kudos.  You've made my day.

Just now, connda said:

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.  I never paid close enough attention to the Thai to see that. 
Yep? 
On the back:
"Code of Practice for ID Card Holders:
1. This card is not an identity card."

An ID Card that Is Not An ID Card.  This is Thailand.  Any questions?  ????

"We keep you dirty foreigners spinning, spinning, spinning." 
Nice catch Richard Smith - kudos.  You've made my day.

I wonder if my Yellow Tabien Ban says, "This Tabien Ban is not a Tabien Ban!"  ????

• Haha 2